TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Project Better Place

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by tonybelding, Oct 29, 2007.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

The downward spiral continues...

Better Place To Shut Down U.S., Australian Operations - Forbes

2. doug

3. doug

4. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I hope at least that their public charging stations get purchased by another network.

5. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

6. clmason

clmason Member

Too bad, I wanted to see this concept work. However, it always seemed too capital intensive to get going.

There are plenty or wealthy folk in Israel who can afford the Model S and gas is very expensive in Israel. Wonder when Telsa cars will be available in Israel? Anyone know if there are any Roadsters in Israel?

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

If battery swapping ever does work as a business... well... it won't be for a while. They were way too early to market.

8. richkae

richkae VIN587

It was a good idea - reducing the up front cost of the car by leasing the battery and generating revenue from the swapping and charging - but it has two fundamental flaws:
    1) It requires too much capital to get off the ground.
    2) You need to convince automakers to tie their success to you.

They didn't have enough of either.

9. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

I briefly looked at their business in 2009 or 2010 and I never could figure out how they expected to make it work in the U.S. Even with back of the napkin calculations the only way I could make the business case close was with a massive infrastructure and a huge number of their little short range BEV's on the road.

10. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

When I found out that you were required to pay whatever electric rates that BP wanted to charge, even in your own garage, and that you couldn't plug in at all when you were at the proverbial Grandma's house, I knew the plan was dead on arrival in the US.

11. Mark Petersen

Mark Petersen Model S EU P71

Better Place file for bankruptcy

So is this the final death of battery swap or is this tesla chance to pickup some cheap swap stations for model s
    Well I like the ideer abut battery swap, but really dislike Better Place Buisness model
    They only had one model with short range, and a buy the car and lease the battery model, that is now scaring the hell out of all the owerners
    (Renault have announce that they will make sure that they can rent the battery from Them)

12. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

If I understood their model correctly, you pay by miles. The BP charging station in your home (or anywhere) would have the electricity paid by BP. If you charged "out of network" you would be double charged (you pay by miles and your grandma pays for electricity too).

It's misunderstandings about their model and also their constant comparison to cell phone carriers (which most people hate) that probably killed them.

13. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Supporting Member

RIP

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

14. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Maybe not for the US, but in Israel which is comparatively small, already has Renault in the market and has a clear incentive to get off Middle-Eastern oil, I'm amazed they couldn't make this work.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Better Place CEO: A missed opportunity - Globes

An issue that hadn't really occurred to me, until it was written:

16. ChadS

ChadS Last tank of gas: March 2009

Could happen...but I would think the highest value is in the cars. They will probably offer to sell them to owners; if they get other bids, they will probably just use that to set a floor on the price.

I would think that Renault would offer to buy them, and save the expense of collecting them - they could just turn around and lease them to the owners on similar terms (but likely adjusted well downward if they don't offer swapping).

17. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

To me the smaller places made no sense at all for BP since swapping would be an expensive "feature" that had to be paid for but rarely or never needed. This means the premium BP subscribers were paying didn't provide them with anything special. Added to all the other problems that BP had and it was never difficult to see that they were doomed.