Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project Dojo - the SaaS Product?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The end game is that, in addition of the CPU/GPU/Flash/RAM silicon we have in every computing device, there will be additional silicon for AI inference (i.e. using the neural networks). That will be TPU's, not GPU's. There will be lots of different TPU's, each one matched to the intended use. E.g. the Tesla Autopilot cpu, or the Apple m1 series 16-core Neural Engine. If you are a software developer (aka neural network consumer), you're probably going to use an abstraction layer that can interact with all these different devices without hardcoding for one of them (so that you don't depend on Nvidia CUDA). I'm currently using ONNX (ONNX | Home). Nvidia is probably not going to be dominant here because:
- SOC builders like Intel, AMD, Apple will include (actually they already have done that to some degree) that functionality into their SOC.
-If it's not built into a SOC, there is still the possibility to use a dedicated TPU. Google sells one cheaply (Products | Coral), and there are others, and probably an order of magnitude more under development.
NVidia sells it's own SOC ARM-based product in this market: Jetson, Xavier NVIDIA Embedded Systems for Next-Gen Autonomous Machines
TPU's give more bang for the buck than GPU's:

Then there is the training part of AI. This requires massive data centers, massive amounts of data, massive amounts of compute. For the moment Nvidia is dominant here, but they charge so much for their H100 TPUs NVIDIA H100 Tensor Core GPU that their clients will all look for cheaper alternatives. Tesla even built their own system in about 1 or 2 years, called Dojo. It's difficult to imagine that Nvidia will remain without competition here for a long time.

Seems like it was a large amount of compute coming online from various sources. Imo this is what Tesla are doing well, being agile. When everyone struggles to get nVidia chips, they have already diversified to alternate suppliers, doing it inhouse and getting things up and running fast. And they are not afraid to make the billion dollar investment into compute. Meanwhile where is Toyota, VW etc with this? Have we heard anything?
A new inference load at xAI

I suspect that Dojo problems are related to software than anything else. Competing with cuda is hard but they will crack it.

After watching Karpathy's recent interview I gleaned something I think is very important with regard to Dojo.

He was talking about how horribly inefficient today's GPU's are. Even NVIDIA's best are power hungry monsters that just don't do their jobs very well compared to the low-power human brain at only about 20 watts. It's obvious that when it comes to AI hardware, we are doing it wrong.

Clearly, there is unbelievable potential for improvement.

So the Dojo project can be justified on the basis that AI hardware is in its infancy. It's time for exploration. Like the gold rush, most will fail, but the one who digs in the right spot will be richly rewarded.

There's gold in them thar hills!

Reactions: RabidYak
1713905337415.png

Reactions: RabidYak