Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Project Emotiv3 - Track Car Build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having mcbarnet007 blast past you in his street car down the front straight at Laguna Seca while you are in your fully caged V8 racecar certainly makes you a little envious. So last November I picked up a 2022 Model 3 Performance with the sole intent of turning it into a track weapon. This is a long overdue post as I have been lurking on these forums for a while and have some track day logs from back in January to share. TMC has already been an invaluable resource as I have engrossed myself in the platform and I hope to share as much knowledge back to the community as I can.

The intent of this car is to built to where a reasonably insane person would stop, as opposed to the completely crazy Ringfreaks build, Evasive hillclimb car, or the UP center seater. Plans include:
  • the usual bolt-on "footwork" suspects
  • semi-stripped interior with race seat and developing a bolt-in rear rollbar kit
  • developing some CANbus powered track mode conveniences
  • development of functional aero bits
I have a pile of parts at the shop that I have intentionally avoided just throwing at the car. I am taking it step-by-step as I want to learn everything I can about how the car will respond to changes. I will certainly keep this build thread more up-to-date on progress now that it exists and have lined up a few posts to share, but I will leave this intro with some track fun ...

and the weigh in...

8AC75664-405F-4B43-AD58-B97F464F09F8.JPG

As we all know, this car is not light. Time to start digging in to it. Happy motoring!

Big props to you for trying this. My understanding is that these cars are capable of pulling off a few hero laps and then limp back to the pits. And then there's the weight....ooof.

But I am hoping you can show that I am wrong!
Thanks and welcome to the forums! I am certainly not blazing any new ground here though. TMC is full of people having track fun with their Teslas.

Our local Model 3 hot shoes are winning Time Trials/Time Attack events and then going out for double sessions in the late afternoon. Charging is certainly a challenge though. Some are using the CHAdeMo adapter at non-Superchargers. I just received a CCS Adapter from Korea which should help at one of our tracks that is in the middle of nowhere sandwiched between two Superchargers but has a 350kw Electrify America charger just outside the track. Thankfully, two of our California tracks are getting Tesla Superchargers on site soon.

The car can't hide its weight, but on the bright side most of it is in the center down low.

Reactions: buckets0fun
My understanding is that these cars are capable of pulling off a few hero laps and then limp back to the pits. And then there's the weight....ooof.
Way more than a few hero laps. They can do 30+ minutes no problem.

A modern Porsche 911 weighs 3,800 lbs with driver. A M3P with driver weighs 10% more.

Poke around here more, the modern electric platform is very capable if speed is your goal.

Reactions: emotiveeng
Way more than a few hero laps. They can do 30+ minutes no problem.

A modern Porsche 911 weighs 3,800 lbs with driver. A M3P with driver weighs 10% more.

Poke around here more, the modern electric platform is very capable if speed is your goal.
Well, Porsche GT3 RS with some adjustments you can ride in cycles 30 minutes hot + 5 refill.

Model 3 with all cooling mods available and adjustments would make 7 hot + 3 cool + 7 slow hot + 40 minutes charge (in best case scenario and often that would be actually 200 minutes).

Let's not downplay that Model 3 is 3.5x to 7x less ride vs proper dual purpose cars and half of that time it would be 1/3 lower power.

Is it still fun?
Yes, but ride to wait ratio is not good.

So I hope that eventually there will be megarchargers at circuits and Roadster will have 200kwh battery and cooling capable of withstanding the whole 30 minutes session at full power + 15 minutes 3C recharge. That would be very close to ideal.

Model 3 RS that can do 15 min full power hot + 30 minutes recharge would be acceptable compromise.

Let's not downplay that Model 3 is 3.5x to 7x less ride vs proper dual purpose cars and half of that time it would be 1/3 lower power.
Then let's not downplay the fact that you can have 3.5 Model 3P's for the price of one GT3RS with no options, and a GT3RS is unobtanium at MSRP. Bring 4 M3P's and get just as much track time! ;)

The fact they are even compared and the fact that all you really need to fix this is a supercharger at the track tells you something about the future of electric for fun, mixed use enthusiast cars.

Yes, we are very far away from actual endurance racing with electrics.

Consider Battery Swap
Model 3 battery design would not accommodate this well at all. Old S and X sure, but Tesla has moved far away from that.

As far as how long can you drive the car without current limiting - that really comes down to how fast you are driving it. A stock car may not ever hit the limit, there's just not enough grip, brakes, etc to discharge enough energy in a short enough period of time. However, you put some camber arms, grippy tires, upgraded brakes and a competent driver in the car, yeah you are going to hit that limit in as little as 10 minutes or so.

There's a ton of advantages to tracking a Tesla versus something else in its price range - consumables cost (especially fuel these days), car holds its value very well, no oil changes, etc. However, you also need to contend with charging availability and current limiting, which some people simply don't want to worry about.

The good news is that the Plaid has no issues with current limiting if you don't mind running a reasonable amount of horsepower. And the Plaid isn't even using 4680 cells, which will inevitably have better thermal characteristics. So, the future is bright, we're just not quite there yet for the mass track market!

Reactions: gearchruncher
S1E1 - Thunderhill Raceway Bypass - Willows, CA

Fitting in a track day during the holiday season proved to be a challenge. Between family visits and school breaks it took me until the New Year to finally get the car on track. Luckily I was able to prepare a bit on the sim with the Tyrone Thunderhill Track Map and the Tesla Model 3 Assetto Corsa Mod with physics originally programmed by @MountainPass. I have yet to figure out if whoever uploaded this mod is on TMC, but thank you "rickput7" for the work. It is very much appreciated.

I wanted to get out on track with a completely stock Model 3 Performance, but my sense of self preservation forced me to at least change the brake fluid. While not the fluid I intend to run permanently on the car, I had a shelf full of Motul RBF600 and decided to flush that through the system. As a quick aside, I purchased a Motive pressure bleed adapter for use with the Tesla, but when testing it before use I could clearly hear air leaking. I have experienced this on other cars and solved it by applying PTFE "plumber's tape" to the master cylinder threads, but since the Tesla MC does not have threads I figured I would just be creating a gigantic mess. In the end, I decided to dry bleed with the Motive by using it only for pressure. In the future I will be using a MITYVAC style vacuum bleeder on the car. This was the squeaky clean stock DOT3. I don't think I have ever seen fluid this clean in my life.

IMG_0839.JPG

Project Emotiv3's first track day would be at Thunderhill Raceway in Northern California which is almost perfectly sandwiched between two Tesla Superchargers, a 250kW charger 33 miles to the south and a 150kW charger 35 miles to the north. In the weeks leading up to the event I did my best to obtain a CHAdeMO adapter to make use of an EVGo charger just 7 miles east of the track, but I ended up leaving the house at 430ᴀᴍ with a 14-50 adapter and thoughts and prayers.

48762F7B-7364-4F3B-BB22-0B6C108CF79F 2.JPG

Covering 168 miles in slightly freezing temps to a very early driver's meeting was less than ideal. I trickled my way to a 65% SOC before my first session rather disappointed in my lack of preparation, but I was excited to feel out the car for the first time. I knew I was not going to get everything I could power wise out of the car, but the goal was always to have fun and bring it home safely. I set the stock Pirellis to 32psi and off to grid I went. Speaking of charge, I ended the first session with a 39% SOC and, after doing some quick math, decided to skip the second session to charge up so I would not have to leave again for the day.

1377 2.JPG

Having only ever driven an EV on the streets, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how well this 4000+lb beast could move. You absolutely feel the weight, but the car is balanced and easy to rotate with the stock 235s. The car has been out for years at this point so I will not bore you with overtures of the Model 3 Performance's driving dynamics and positive traits. Other than a big smile, what I walked away with was a hatred for the stock brake pads and stock tires. I knew this car could be so much better with those simple upgrades. I was also extremely unhappy with my lap times as I know forum member @mcbarnet007 has run a sub-2:00 with Thunderhill's "Bypass" configuration which puts me about 20 seconds off the pace. His Stealth Performance features a catalog of MPP parts and light aero so this is nowhere near a fair comparison, but my near-term goal is to keep up with his times.

3257 2.JPG

Aside from the charging situation, I decided the one thing I absolutely wanted to change before coming back to the track was the brake pads. I have run G-LOC pads on my other track cars for a number of years now and I am a huge fan of their modulation characteristics. Many of you know that due to the unique shape of the Model 3 Performance pads we do not get support from every manufacturer. I have attempted to document my research on all available pads here. Luckily our friends at G-LOC make pads for the Performance brake calipers and I have since installed a set of R12 compounds in the front and R10 in the rear.

I find it interesting that this thread immediately resulted in a range and charging discussion. The reason I missed a session was because of my own lack of preparation, but at the end of the day I still had a blast. The car is a well-balanced platform that handles like a mid-engined ICE car but without the noise and the need to heel-toe. Thanks go out to Corsa Club for hosting a smooth event and Trevor Ryan for the on track photos. I will be back for more.

S1E2 - Thunderschleife

Brakes​

On the last trip out to the track I resolved to switch out the stock brake pads and have a better charger strategy than RV outlets and distant Superchargers. I was able to find a local Model X owner who regularly rents out his CHAdeMo adapter which reduced the distance from track to a Level 3 charger to just 7 miles. Having not learned my lesson on waking up early enough from the last day out, I started the first session with an 85% SoC and headed to the 50kW EVGo charger, returning with plenty to go until lunch. The brake pads were swapped for G-LOC's R12 compound in front and G-LOC's R10 compound in the rear. The track was cold but the new brake pads did wonders for the car. Having run the R12/R10 combo on other cars before I was not surprised at all by how well they performed. Great bite, fantastic modulation, and hard stops all added up to give me a new found confidence in the car. Having previously inspected the one-track day old stock pads and been rather scared by them, I would personally recommend performance brake pads as a must-do upgrade even if you are heading to the track for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised that the pads were nearly silent on the way home from the track. I have the car's regen braking set to "HOLD" so this definitely helps as well. Now that the car's brakes are in a reasonably usable state we can move on to tires.

272710804_1127417811349186_6174579832126081678_n.jpeg

Tires​

As mentioned in a previous post, I am taking modifications to the car step-by-step in the name of learning and "science". I would normally have already put fresh stickier tires on, but I wanted to see how the stock 235/35R20 tires would perform for the casual enthusiast just getting in to track days. The 2022 Model 3 Performance features 20x9" Uberturbine Wheels wrapped in Pirelli P Zero Elect tires. They are a 280tw tire and have a slight stretch for efficiency. They were not made for the track. At all.

For the first session, I lowered cold pressures to 32 psi all around and after checking in the pits the tires were all pretty evenly at 38 psi. At 38psi the sidewall rollover looked alright but I never got around to getting tire temperature readings in the second session because I ran into a small issue. The stock tires have very little sidewall. Very. Little. Sidewall. Coming out of Turn 6W I had a slight off, dropping the passenger front wheel on the "start" of the right side rumble strip at the kink. This is a mistake that many have made over and over and over again, with little to no repercussion. In my case, I blew out the sidewall on the right front and after closer inspection at the shop bent both passenger side wheels. I heard the initial impact and was able to drive away, so I hoped it was nothing but bottoming out. But by the end of the West Track front straight I could tell I had lost the tire. I limped it back to the pits to assess the damage. No fun.

Pirelli PZ4 Punctured Sidewall.jpg

Finding a 235/35R20 tire in the middle of nowhere Northern California is an exercise in frustration. I called over 10 shops to see if I could find any tire whatsoever so that I would not have to call for a tow or come back the next day with the trailer. After what seemed like two hours of calling I finally found a no name tire with the correct size an hour away in Chico. Luckily, I had one of my best track buddy's there with me that day. A true friend who was willing to sacrifice a session and make the 2.5 hour round trip so I could drive home. The Goodtrip Tires (ironic, LOL) were noisy and shimmied the whole way home as the tech had trouble balancing the wheel and I do not recommend them at all. I could not even find a website for these off-brand Chinese tires but was thankful just to get home.

Data​

At the end of the day, I put down a 3:41.36 with only 1.5 sessions. I am still getting used to the car and after reviewing the footage I will make the excuse (amongst many) that I did not have any clean laps, but this is all the data I have on it so I will mark it as the current "time". For reference, fast drivers in FR-S/GT86/BRZ on street tires run mid-3:20s. I am still quite a bit off the pace. This was also the first time using the Garmin Catalyst camera and not just the data unit, and I was very pleased with the footage. The ability to review video data right after the session while waiting around at the charger is amazing and I cannot recommend this unit enough. If you are reading this from the San Francisco Bay Area, I rent out the shop Catalyst for $50 for a track weekend. The setup is super easy... you just need to have an appropriate 12V power source. If you end up buying a Catalyst™ from the shop I will also apply the rental fee as a credit towards your purchase.

Takeaways​

The biggest disappointment of the weekend actually was not the bent wheel and blown sidewall. It was that I had not configured the in-car drive to collect Track Mode data. I am really beating myself up over this one. For the uninitiated (as I was), capturing data is as simple as adding a folder named TeslaTrackMode to the drive. People pay thousands of dollars for data acquisition systems and having data like tire pressure, g's, brake temps, and power levels built in to the car, even with vague accuracy, is simply amazing.

The science experiment of running the OEM 20"s certainly blew up in my face. Luckily, I already had a set of 18" APEX EC-7 sitting here in the shop waiting to go on the car. For now, I am fairly happy with the way the stock suspension has performed but there is also a custom-valved set of KW Coilovers ;) and other parts waiting to go on the car. The planned modifications for the next day out are:
* 18x9.5" APEX EC-7 with 265/40R18 Goodyear Supercar 3 - some performance tires should drop lap times by leaps and bounds.
* TeslaTrackMode folder on the drive.

Despite the blown out sidewall I thoroughly enjoyed the day. At the end of our lives we will have nothing left but stories, and that is what I walked away with this weekend. Spending the day at the track and bringing the car home in one piece is never a bad thing. The new G-LOC brakes were a great combo and I quickly learned the limits of the stock tires in a unique way. A huge thanks to Turn 8 Racing and my buddy Andy for demonstrating how great the track community is. There has been a break in the action, but I am looking forward to getting back to the track on Memorial Day. Happy motoring!

18x9.5" APEX EC-7 +35 Flow Formed Fitting​

Some notes and pictures from when the new wheels went on the car. I have run APEX Wheels on my E90 M3 for many years and I am really happy that @APEXRaceParts is supporting the Model 3 platform "natively" with their new forged lines. The EC-7s here were originally designed for the S550 Mustang, but pass the bolt pattern, m14, center bore sniff test. APEX also has spec'd some aluminum centering rings to make the wheels mount hubcentricly - because of their design the rings work on both "base" and Performance models.

Tire Choices
Having previously owned fairly popular tuner cars, I was relatively surprised to find a limited 18" tire selection for the Model 3's overall diameter. I understand that some have gone to 19"s for just this reason, but that is for another edition of the build thread. Settling on a 265/40R18 or 275/40R18 on the 9.5"s I started to look at what tires would be best that could be dual purpose street and track tires. While the 275/35R18 is within that 3%+/- range, the smaller tires would theoretically hurt acceleration at higher speeds on the track where the Tesla already stops pulling hard. I experienced this on the front straight at Thunderhill East and did not want to exacerbate the "problem". Sticking to something akin to TireRack's "Extreme Summer Performance" category I ended up with:

TireSizeTreadwearLoad RatingPrice per Set in US
Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R (Discontinued)265/40R18200101W XL
$1,372​
Yokohama Advan A052265/40R18200101Y XL
$1,413​
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3265/40R18220101Y XL
$1,164​
Federal 595RS-PRO265/40R18200101Y XL
$889​
Nankang CR-S275/40R18200103Y XL
$1,196​
Yokohama Advan A052275/40R18200103Y XL
$1,438​
Hankook Ventus R-S4275/40R1820099W SL
$1,286​
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3275/40R1822099Y SL
$1,108​

My inclusion of the AD08Rs was there simply because they kept coming up on TireRack. The tire has been discontinued for a while and my guess is that TireRack still has onesie twosies somewhere in the warehouse. I love putting things in spreadsheets because you can start to see differences. The screaming difference in the chart is the price on the 595RS-PRO. I have track friends who swear by these due to their value, but the consistent feedback on these tires is that the road noise is very high. This is likely masked more in an ICE car so I shied away from choosing these.

The other thing you'll notice in the chart is the Load Range and Load Index drops on the 275s. Despite having more treadwidth the 275 Goodyear SC3 is actually cheaper. My theory is that the 265's additional internal reinforcement to give it the XL load range increases the cost over the 275 SL. I noticed this pattern for 265 vs 275 Nitto NT01s as well. I'm very curious if there's community consensus on XL vs SL load range tires on our cars. In reading a post from earlier this week, Tesla is putting SL Hankook's on the LR while the online owner's manual says stick to XL. All of these tires had a load index higher than the stock 92 rating. My assumption is the XL tires have a higher "spring rate" and less sidewall flex. I haven't found hard data there and am not yet convinced I would actually be able to feel the difference, but my interest is piqued.

At the end of the day, I also just wanted to try the Goodyear Supercar 3s. I have run the R-S4 on multiple other vehicles and their great strength is sometimes a con. It's hard to try new compounds when the Hankook's refuse to wear out. The CR-S and A052 may have their day on this car in the not too distant future.

Fitment
With the tires mounted it was time for a quick weigh-in.
Tesla-Model-3-Performance-Uberturbine-Wheel-Weights.jpg

215.3lbs on the way out...
APEX-EC-7-18x9.5-with-Goodyear-Supercar-3-Weight.jpg

... 199.9lbs on the way in. Not only did the setup shave off around 15lbs of unsprung weight, it gains over 3" of treadwidth as measured by stack height. (Is this even an accurate measure with the stretched stock 235s? Shrug.)
APEX-Stack-Height.jpg

Here's a picture of the inner clearance with the APEX wheels mounted with 265/40R18 Goodyear SC3s. It clears but it's close. Close enough to add some spacers.
Tesla-APEX-EC-7-Fitment.jpg

If you have never removed your OEM wheels and are looking for spacers, the brake rotor retention bolt is not recessed and flush like on other vehicles. If you buy a solid disc spacer you will need to remove the retention bolt. It honestly isn't doing much there as the factory torque spec is 5Nm. I opted for a universal set - easily acquired via Amazon Prime and light enough not to register on the scale. 5mm spacers front and rear bringing the effective offset to +30. APEX's new VS-5RS is a +29. ;)
Spacer-and-Hubring-Weight.jpg

I replaced the factory lugs with some black lugs from Motorsport Hardware. All wheels were torqued to 129lb-ft and a quick drive to the supercharger for some hard parking was in order.

Tesla-Supercharger-San-Mateo.jpg

The new 18" wheels massively improved ride quality. The difference was felt instantaneously. The Goodyear Supercar 3 are sticky and you could hear the pebbles being picked up from the shop driveway, a familiar and comforting sound of grip. Next stop? Thunderhill Raceway