Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project: Model 3 Race car [project model 3 racecar on the Nuburgring / "The 'Ring"]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tom!
Thanks for good words and a tip. We were moving the car only with engines inside and few parts in. So all the weight was on front and rear of the car - it means all weight is next to struts and nearly no weight on the middle of the car. Shouldn't do any harm.

Also in this M3 it seems that body made so stiff to protect battery, than battery to protect body. Under seats these rails are 2-3mm thick, also side skirts are massive compared to any car.

Only on the roof, without glasses these beams are so weak! Thats why we are keeping all top glasses original, as they really keep roof in 1 place :))

Reactions: dfwatt
Moving forward with Our Tesla project. As the rollcage and outside design are already fully finished - it's time to get it back running.

Installing back brake lines and bleeding brake system, proving that it is completely manual system, which shouldn't fail even while using Autopilot or other assistance system.

Getting big battery to the body, hard job - but pretty quick one! Some bolts, few connectors and it's already there. Without anything in the interior - an hour job to get it back.

Improving safety for cooling system pipes, which is extremely important while lapping race tracks! Spilled coolant on the tarmac can be more slippery than fresh ICE for car it self and other drivers of the Track, so no space here for failure in the coolant system!

Wire world is also there! Luckily - Tesla already made it tiny and easy to install, as well happy to find online really good disassembly videos of Tesla model 3, to see how everything should go (even it's our one ones) :)))

All in all - working on Tesla is pretty easy. Everything made to be comfortable for technicians to work on it, so it helps us in the project!

VIDEO: TESLA M3 RACE CAR - BRAKES, COOLING and WIRES

270766555_936546430340040_7680522423462549979_n.jpg

271747535_287154496812968_7314924994196730575_n.jpg

271658365_678948783280112_3612241506519640121_n.jpg

271771266_501843984659894_6071181592283202354_n.jpg

272796561_1006108530262566_8763937240892953761_n.jpg

I am back! Car is already Rocking! And we have done quite some laps at the Nurburgring already and it is such an amazing Track Tool!

Sorry for being so quiet, just season start always requires so much more things than there is enough time.

This time without video yet, but with few pictures.

Lets talk a bit about driving - it feels way more Analog car than any new sports car. You can feel and control every slide, car is super stable and planted to the track, at the moment stock brakes with PFC racing pads and fluid - enough of brakes, but will add big brake kit to the front very soon, gurney on the spoiler as well gives this needed stability for the back above 180kmh and rear of the car doesn't float any more.

Routine driving the track is basically 3 laps -> 40min charge at V3 SC -> 3 laps. Battery heats up after lap if there is no yellow flag, so few minute break is needed if reduction of power is not wanted on the 2nd lap end. But this is only if you are driving it really fast! Anything up to 80% speed in the track and no cooling time is needed, and then maybe even 4 80% fast laps are possible.

And I can tell you, this car here attracts way more attention than the newest GT3 Porsches 😅😅

Now a bit more adjustments to the clicks on suspension and then more driving! We will see how fast it can go.

Soon will finish videos of final assembly

martinedit.jpg

jump1small.png

interior2tesla1.jpg

interior1tesla1.jpg

Who made that slider/side rail kit? I run a bucket seat in my 3 and the adapter I got raises the seat up a lot, currently looking for alternative.
Hi Markli!

On driver side we have made our own sliding rails, as well we have cut away small piece of body, to mount it as low as possible.

For you - if you are only driver (or others are similar) of your car - mount seat directly to original mounting points. Just take racing seat, take L side mounts which would be good fit to the bottom holes and bolt it to the car directly (if holes do not match, just redrill yours L side mounts or make them from 0). Just in the rear of the seat you will need 1cm spacers, because mounting points are lower that middle tube under.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Was at the Ring in May and obviously wanted to rent this car but ultimately the sheer size of the excess liability of taking this beauty onto the Ring surrounded by random cars and drivers just didn't make sense for me personally. Had a chat with the guy who'd rented it on that day in the depot, and he seems pretty sold on the modded Performance as a track toy :) The setup and build quality looks great, and apparently it doesn't have nearly as much heat issues as the fully stock cars we've seen on Youtube.

I went with one of the Ringfreaks BMW 330is (the pic below "91"). These are built to V5 class racing spec with stock engines but seriuos suspension running 4 degrees of front camber. Holy moly what a rush it is to grab such a well set up car by the scruff and make it dance! Can only speculate what twice the power and ten times the response would do to my smile muscles (and perhaps also passenger underwear) 😅

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Would you be able to tell me the weight of your car? I am making plans to build my car into a wheel to wheel sprint race car and need to know if it is feasible based on the weight as the classing is set by power to weight.

Guys! Sorry for such a long silence and leaving You without further updates, but I am back!

In reality, neighbours were not too happy about the end of the video and caused some issues for us (we got closed property and they have no right to say anything) and it made my willingness down to keep uploading video... But will keep you now updated till the end.

So car is running, after placing battery back we had to bleed cooling system - which was not so easy back then. Now there is service menu which would have helped to do that. Also we installed racing seats and belts, most of preparations to do that are in previous videos - driver side on sliders and passengers mounted directly to the floor without any movement.

While battery was out, it lost just 2-3% in 3 months, it means batteries can be stored and nothing will happen.

As well we have bypassed all airbags, seatbelts, weight sensors and Tesla had 0 faults after start up - apart HVAC error. I simply didn't connect it correctly, so it was human mistake and nothing to do with car.

Test drive was simple - burning tyres :))) we placed some used Michelin pilot sports and went nuts in our back yard, was a great fun to have this car running again! I can tell you - it's really tricky to drift it (even I am a professional drifter), this car is too grippy and snappy for it! So DON'T try this in tiny places!

Enjoy my video!

TESLA DRIFT TEST and first problems... cooling, racing seats and it's alive again

p.s.
Weight of the car is 1780KG without drivers.

TESLA DRIFT And first problems.....png

AAAAND I came today with a review, and not only! I have also checked how much battery did degrade during 2 years and 10.000 KM in the Race track. Most of the time we were charging up to 100% and using a lot of supercharger. And by track mode - it was constantly in very very high temperatures in the battery while racing it. Check the video for review and degradation check

Youtube video: Ringfreaks Tesla review and battery degradation

10.000 KM.png