TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Project: More light in Frunk and Trunk

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by efxjim, Jan 2, 2013.

1. efxjim

efxjim Member

#1 efxjim, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    I found the light level in the Frunk and Trunk to be very poor. Here is what I did to brighten things up.
    I purchased 2 of the following light kits from Fry's. There are available elsewhere.

OLSHAWHT2 Home Accent Expansion Kit

I also purchased 2) 5ft. extensions and 1) 10ft extension.

OLSHAEXT5FT Home Accent Extension
    OLSHAEXT10FT Home Accent Extension

Pop out the 2 lights in the Trunk and the one in the Frunk (extra hard to remove). Unplug the light from it's wires. I used a small snap knife pop the lens off the LED base while holding the back with a set of Visegrip pliers.

8341326676_0f52b9b7c2_c.jpg

Cut one of the 1ft extension cords in half and strip back the wires. Marry the green and white (negative) and the red and black (positive). Then solder the wires to the pins providing power to the LED. I nipped the black housing a little to allow the wires to pass easier. Align the base and cover (they only go one way) and snap shut.

8340267523_ebabeca18c_c.jpg

Stick the light strip under the privacy shelf mount and feed the wire down through the vent opening and out of the light hole (coat hanger helps here).

8341325730_dd9dc29353_c.jpg

The Frunk wiring can follow the wiper hose at the hinge and tuck under the weather stripping. I stuck the light strip in the curve of the hood pointed back down the hood.

Trunk with:
    8355992939_33792b1811_c.jpg

Trunk without:
    8355992957_6102fe18bb_c.jpg

Frunk with:
    8355992953_a1d4d4c06f_c.jpg

Frunk without:
    8357056394_c8a63d9e77_c.jpg

Now there is plenty of light. :smile:

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Now Jim can see the junk in his frunk!

3. efxjim

efxjim Member

Gotta stop by and see it!

4. goaliemanshark

OMG this is great. I should do this...

We need a mod section!

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

An alternative would be a standard 12v LED light strip with a sticky back and leads already attached to the ends. No need for plugs or extensions of any kind. Just attach the plus and minus leads to the stock light power source, as indicated in this post.

6. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

I bought some led light strips that run on standard batteries so no wiring required. Less convenient and perhaps less clean, but also no risk with the warranty. Gonna mount them in pretty much the same location. The one I got were made for biminis on boats. I can post pics once I get the car.

Yours do look good. Nice job.

Cheers.

7. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Great write up and post. Your solution is based on a suggestion that I made on Cinergi's post about the lighting in the rear of his S. Do both sets of lights (Modded and TM factory) work in concert? Also, please post some night time pics... thanks. Happy motoring.

8. efxjim

efxjim Member

Yes the power is taken off the factory lights and they come on at the same time. I'll update with some night shots in a few days.

9. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Guess I'll have to stop by your shop for my light upgrade. :)

10. William3

William3 Member

11. efxjim

efxjim Member

Certainly!

12. mrjohnlnguyen

mrjohnlnguyen Member

13. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

I'm working with Tesla Service on getting the trunk and frunk light levels up. (something got sent to engineering lately for official approval.)

14. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Hey Petefish,

How soon do you expect to hear something back from TM? Are they considering making your idea a permanent factory item? Thanks for sharing.

15. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

I don't know when. The Dallas Service manager forwarded my idea to engineering. Considering, yes. Am I waiting for official approval, kind of.

If they don't want to make it a factory item, I'll release the part numbers and make an instructable for anyone who wants to make the same mods.

16. rekoh

rekoh Member

17. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#17 Lloyd, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    I improved the trunk lighting today it was fairly easy. I ordered some adhesive backed strip lighting from Eco Light. I used 4.6w per foot and is 12 volt. which is more than enough. Lower would likely work as well.

I pulled the carpet back in the corner and tied into the existing LED wiring. I soldered and taped my connections. I cut a small hole in the carpet to pass the wires through. I put some epoxy over the connector to make sure the strip would not be pulled out.

photo.jpg

Here they are turned on. They are very bright!

photo1.jpg

I took a photo from the front area of the trunk so you can see it compared to the existing LED. This is daytime. The adhesive backing is removed and the strip is stuck in place.

photo2.jpg

This material comes in a roll, and is enough to do 10 cars, but you will need additional terminals.

photo3.jpg

Here is a photo of the instruction sheet for termination, and the website for ordering. They seem like nice folks.

photo4.jpg

I may see if I can find a place to do the same mod for the Frunk as well.

18. mlascano

mlascano S Sig #722

#18 mlascano, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
    Very nice! Did you do this on both sides (L and R)?

19. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

One side only as I think this will be more than enough. I have not seen it at night yet, but I anticipate about 10x the existing light, and it gives me light where I wanted it the most, in the well where the charge adapters are kept.

20. mlascano

mlascano S Sig #722

Cool! Give us an update on how it looks in the dark. It looks simple enough that I may be able to do this.