Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project: More light in Frunk and Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are Photos in the dark

006.JPG
007.JPG

I also just did the trunk upgrade and it was super easy.

I used some adhesive-backed strip lights, and added red/black pigtails of length about 30".

I chose the left (driver) side, where there is a removable carpet insert behind the charging power port. Solder the pigtails to the strip and feed the strip behind the left side carpet, and down to the carpet insert area for access to the charging port. Next remove the snap-in existing LED light on the rear left side (as the OP shows). Push a fish-tape up toward the charging port area, and reach in and connect the end of the pigatails to the fish - pull it back down to the existing LED location. Now, here's where I made it a little easier: I used some solderless wire splices to clip onto the existing red and black, mating with the pigtail red and black.

Voila! Very bright trunk!

Now, here's where I made it a little easier: I used some solderless wire splices to clip onto the existing red and black, mating with the pigtail red and black.

Does this turn on and off with the trunk lights? My understanding is the light assemblies are on a LIN network, which sends coded signals to each specific light module to turn on,off or dim. A LIN network sends the signals along with the power - so it can run as a two wire circuit. This would mean the red/black wires are on most or all of the time. The reason for digging into the light assembly itself and connecting to the LED is to get to the control side. Would be nice if this is not necessary. I'll have to test this out myself!

Edit: Tested it out, and the power goes on/off with the lighting. Perhaps these are not on a LIN network, and even if they are, it appears that just tapping into the red/black will work fine.

Last edited:
Great news. More lighting has been high on my project list and this makes it a snap.

Did you notice if you have holes on the left and right sides? For example, it is right above the charging cable spot on the one side. You don't see this area unless you get down to the floor and look up. On my car both sides are open as if they forgot to put something covering it. It shows through to metal.

P2042540a.JPG

Great news. More lighting has been high on my project list and this makes it a snap.

Did you notice if you have holes on the left and right sides? For example, it is right above the charging cable spot on the one side. You don't see this area unless you get down to the floor and look up. On my car both sides are open as if they forgot to put something covering it. It shows through to metal.

Yup, that's one of the openings that helps with the install. Note in your picture the carpet square insert that can easily be removed to help with snaking the wire.

David

I saw the other covered hole, so I guess they didn't make a cover for these upper holes. Looks like it was designed for a cover. I may bug my service adviser when they get a few other missing parts in to see if they have covers. Borders on the trivial since I didn't see them until looking for it :)

2X White 30cm 15 SMD LED Flexible 3528 Car Waterproof DRL Strip Light Bulb 12 | eBay

I bought these cheapo LED strips on ebay from China and they arrived in CA within about 5 days. I tapped into the wiring for the existing frunk light and added additional wiring under the sidewall lining to the cubby at the back of the frunk and taped it up to the top of the cubby as others had shown. In the back, I tapped into the wiring of the left side light and taped it to the plastic frame of the trunk opening over the storage cubby in the left side of the trunk. It lights up the whole rear very well. While I don't need more light, I decided to go back and order from the same seller again to put a strip in the rear right as well to make the light even from both sides. The same seller also sells a 4x pack of the strips and that's what I should have ordered rather than two 2x strips. Would've save a buck as well. I'm very please with the results and it looks similar to other photos posted here so far, so need for more photos.

2X White 30cm 15 SMD LED Flexible 3528 Car Waterproof DRL Strip Light Bulb 12 | eBay

I bought these cheapo LED strips on ebay from China and they arrived in CA within about 5 days. I tapped into the wiring for the existing frunk light and added additional wiring under the sidewall lining to the cubby at the back of the frunk and taped it up to the top of the cubby as others had shown. In the back, I tapped into the wiring of the left side light and taped it to the plastic frame of the trunk opening over the storage cubby in the left side of the trunk. It lights up the whole rear very well. While I don't need more light, I decided to go back and order from the same seller again to put a strip in the rear right as well to make the light even from both sides. The same seller also sells a 4x pack of the strips and that's what I should have ordered rather than two 2x strips. Would've save a buck as well. I'm very please with the results and it looks similar to other photos posted here so far, so need for more photos.

Here are my photos taken in a dark garage WITHOUT flash...

rear passenger.jpg
rear driver.jpg
frunk.jpg

Well a few hours later, I have successfully completed the install of 2 trunk lights and i frunk light! Quite happy with the results. Thanks for all the help and guides. That frunk light was a pain in the a$$ but so worth it!

20130316_152424.jpg
20130316_152449.jpg

J

Last edited: