Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project Palladium Wishlist - New Model S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want people to say _what they want_ and that includes design. I get fed up of the vagueness of the request.

People don't ask for a battery refresh, they ask for faster charging and more capacity.

If somebody doesn't just want change for change's sake, then they can point to design features of other vehicles or things they like, or features of the current vehicle design they don't like.

oddly specific... are you a car designer? lol

cars were boxy, then circular, and now square again. more specific? how about designs like taillights were low in the body then high and now back to low again. thats how trends work. new age is out, retro is in. but retro is going out of style again and new age will come again.

phones: iphones were rounded when they start, then went to rectangular, before going rounded again, and now iphone 12 next month is back to rectangular corners. apple could have easily just kept the same design, but people are tired of the same design.

fashion is probably the worst offender, because of how easy it is to change your style, trends like to cycle extremely fast. whats in today will be out next month but in again next year

i can keep going but i think you probably get the idea, people want change for change sake, so its not out of the blue to just ask for a redesign for redesign sake.

Last edited:
fashion is probably the worst offender, because of how easy it is to change your style, trends like to cycle extremely fast. whats in today will be out next month but in again next year

i can keep going but i think you probably get the idea, people want change for change sake, so its not out of the blue to just ask for a redesign for redesign sake.

What I really hope(ed) for was a manufacturer that could keep a car fresh, exiting, desirable and worth looking after for as long as possible. Real design genius almost creates its own timeless fashion that rises above the need for endless change just for the sake of being different.

The trouble is that it doesn't make commercial sense to do things too well in most cases.

What we don't need imo are over-engineered doors, huge screens using consumer grade components, batteries pushed right to their limits, warranties that are more focused on ducking obligations than standing by a quality product, a/c systems that have to prioritze battery cooling over cabin comfort, over reliance on technology purely for the sake of technology or expediency.

There is no need to over complicate basic functions like wipers, headlights and external view cameras. This stuff just has to work.

Tesla has so much vertical integration that they should be better placed than most to stick with functional, stable performance platforms and use tech to bring real bells and whistles without upsetting the underlying base. This won't work if the base is flaky.

The evidence is that Tesla's current m / s platforms can't deliver 360 external view or a reliable suit of music player features, so they have a long way to go!

Palladium could just be internal code for the previously announced higher performance PLAID update to Model S (and maybe X). Would have a 3rd motor (rear mounted) to increase torque plus torque vectoring. Probably new body panels for the wider stance and larger tires. Intended to be very track capable and be the new "Flagship" from Tesla.

Will cost significantly more, but be more than competitive with the performance versions of the European top of the line models.

So many people always seem to want a "design refresh", without actually asking for anything.

What do you actually want from the design refresh?
I want a change to the nose of the car. Something derived from the new roadster would be nice.

I have a 5 year old P85D with the original Model S nose, which I love. I've never liked the current nose (even though I do like the Model 3's) specifically because I do not like the dark slot with the kind of bird's beak detail in the middle, common to both the S and X. If they introduce a restyle without that detail I would very likely place an order.

I want a change to the nose of the car. Something derived from the new roadster would be nice.

I have a 5 year old P85D with the original Model S nose, which I love. I've never liked the current nose (even though I do like the Model 3's) specifically because I do not like the dark slot with the kind of bird's beak detail in the middle, common to both the S and X. If they introduce a restyle without that detail I would very likely place an order.

Design is such a funny thing. I have grown to like / accept both S nose designs. I never really liked the original because it seemed a bit bulbous to me. Neither did I like the facelift because it looked like a snowplow / plough. The M3 looked hood looks too short and the MX / MY too bulky. But of course they are all part of a design process and in the right color and from the right angle, I really have grown to like the MS facelift.

It is what it is. Simple, elegant, distinctive, 'squat' / low. I understand if EM wants to keep pretty close to the original design which is so much 'Tesla'. I guess CT could change all that.

Design is such a funny thing. I have grown to like / accept both S nose designs. I never really liked the original because it seemed a bit bulbous to me. Neither did I like the facelift because it looked like a snowplow / plough. The M3 looked hood looks too short and the MX / MY too bulky. But of course they are all part of a design process and in the right color and from the right angle, I really have grown to like the MS facelift.

It is what it is. Simple, elegant, distinctive, 'squat' / low. I understand if EM wants to keep pretty close to the original design which is so much 'Tesla'. I guess CT could change all that.
If yours is the black car in your profile picture then I agree -- I think black makes the current S look quite good exactly because it hides the slot/bird's beak detail that I dislike.

Reactions: Battpower
How about having a sunroof again?

Only if we can have the solid roof option back again as well.

I just don't see any of it happening FWIW. There is no way they have the cycles to build another high end vehicle with all of the options people are asking for. They seem to be able to barely keep up with their plans for the new Roadster and the trucks.

I would like to see a model 3 like interior with a working AC in the model X. The current ventilation needs work, especially in hot climates. Also, the X sounds like a turbine engine when hot.

bring back the alcantara. I drove a newer model and the current ones just don’t look/feel as nice.

I thought the automatic doors were a gimmick but actually love having them. It would be good on the model S as well.

power folding rear seats (row 2 and 3) would be great. You have to climb in the car to put them back up or have long arms like me

I miss the driver side screen in the model 3 but like the ventilation through the steering wheel. Find a way to make both of these work together

I would be ok with the front end of the model 3 although I don’t mind the current look of the S and X

An extra motor would never hurt. Neither would 250+kW charging

GPS linked tailgate height settings or just put a sensor in that thing

keep the steering wheel linked headlight. I miss those when I drive our 3

ok, a night vision HUD would just be cool. Fine if it shows this on the center screen

Reactions: BlindPass
Did anyone mention door pockets and seat back pockets.? S lacks these. Not the other models.

If we're to have a glass roof, how about a slide out shield to use when parked in the sun to reduce solar heating of the interior. Had this on my Honda accord and it was great.

Add as an option xpel clear bra on the full front and Ceramic paint protection Lifetime level at the factory build before delivery.

I added a 12v receptacle in the trunk to run a cooler for food and drinks. Keeps temp at 45°F.

• Love
Reactions: gjunky