Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project Palladium Wishlist - New Model S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, few weeks ago we first heard the leak about "Project Palladium" - a big refresh to the premium models S and X. Currently it is unknown what changes it will bring, so I decided to speculate and make my own wishlist of updates, improvements and features that the new models hopefully would feature. Just wanted to share it with you guys. Any features that I've missed? Feel free to comment below and tell me what you think!

Project Palladium Wishlist

1. Big changes:
• Design refresh (exterior and interior)
• New battery technology (project roadrunner) - better range, faster charging
• Plaid version

2. Features that should be streamlined between the S and the X:
• Motorized doors that open when approaching them and close when the break pedal is pressed (or by pressing the key on the screen or on the fob)
• Magnetic sun visor

3. Newer features that the 3 and/ or the Y already have, that the S and X lack:
• Hidden air vents
• Passive entry and exit (with Bluetooth)
• Key cards
• Chrome delete (door handles, side mirrors, blinkers, pillar trim)
• Cabin camera
• Frunk polymer seal
• Trunk vents
• Buttons instead of door handles
• Completely motorized charging port
• Heat pump instead of resistive heat system (for better range)
• Radar heaters
• Panoramic roof (at least for the model S)
• Landscape screen instead of Vertical screen (?)

4. Features that other luxury EVs already have that the Teslas are missing:
• Cameras instead of sideways mirrors for the European model (better design and airodynamics) (like the Audi E-tron)
• 3D camera assist (like the Audi E-tron and Porsche Taycan)
• Range potential monitoring (like the Audi E-tron)
• Integrated toll module (like the Audi E-tron)
• Camera washers (like the Porsche Taycan)

5. More improvements and features:
• Improved quality control
• Improved interior and seats
• Improved speakers
• Improved door seals
• Improved auto high beam
• Center console cover material change from glossy to matte
• Motorized Frunk
• Cooled seats
• Blind-spot assist lights on side-view mirrors
• Completely motorized back seats row (fold down for extra storage and also back up when you're done)
• A small screen for the back seats (to control AC, heat/ cooled seats, media etc)

Agree with pretty much all the proposed features. Always rubbed me the wrong way that Elon said new tech will always come to the S/X, yet here we are and all the new tech has gone to 3/Y. Really looking forward to new battery tech, hopefully an interior refresh with landscape screens. Exterior is getting stale, would love a mild cosmetic change.

Reactions: viper2ko
I doubt that Tesla plan any majors changes to the Model S and X assembly line.

From Elon word, he mentioned that the those represent like 10% of the Model 3 and Y production,
and was not very clear of how long the Model E and X will continue to be produced.

I think only range improvement toward a 500 miles would be the only major changes, thinking of the coming Lucid Air.

I'm not even sure if Elon confirmed the tri-motor Model S?

Looking at the European market for example, a smaller Tesla car seems to be needed.

Europe-EV-Sales-June-2020-CleanTechnica.png

Last edited:
So many people always seem to want a "design refresh", without actually asking for anything.

What do you actually want from the design refresh?

I’d be good with keeping the basic proportions and greenhouse, which I think are about as close to timeless as you can get, along with a front/rear refresh that is slightly more edgy and incorporates some next gen Roadster design. I think this render that has been making the rounds is a decent start. I don’t love everything about it but it’s the right idea IMO.

5AF8276C-5CB6-4FC8-A29D-A5A7F7341EEC.jpeg

I think most of the “redesign” work actually needs to happen in the interior. I’ll break with the common refrain of people thinking Tesla needs to benchmark Audi in this regard and develop a super busy material/surface/angle/stitching-rich “luxury” interior that will look dated and age poorly.

Keep it simple, adopt the Model 3 design language, but increase fit/finish and material quality accordingly. Skip the gimmicks like massaging seats and heads-up displays. Increase UTILITY of the interior with thoughtful storage and comfort updates. I don’t want doors that open and close themselves with more time, effort, and drama than if I just did it myself. Don’t complicate things that don’t need complication. Learn the lessons from the Model S door handles and Model X falcon wings instead of doubling down.

Move back to the customizability of prior years. The S/X is low volume and expensive - return the ability for people to pick what they want in terms of colors, finishes, and roof treatments like an opening sunroof.

That would make me happy and incentivize me to buy another vs switching to a 3 or Y.

Don't screw with the exterior body, it doesn't need a major refresh.
Fully forged monoblock alloy wheels on Performance variant
Noise Cancelling high end stereo with dual AKM AK4438VN DACs
360-degree surround-view camera system (hell KIA has this)
HID headlights, verses the crappy LED's
Leather seats
a sunroof or convertible option.
Android Auto, Amazon Alexa, Apple CarPlay, and an onboard Wi-Fi hot spot. (like the Toyota RAV4)
Waze

height adjustable seatbelts (on the B pillar for my short wife)
Fast USB charging or equally fast wireless charging: The typical USB outlet in a car charges at 0.5 amps, which charges a phone slowly. If an app is being used, the phone may lose charge even when plugged in. Many new cars now have at least a 1.5-, 2.0-, or 2.4-amp rating (noted by 1.5A, 1.5A, 2A, 2.1A, or 2.4A on the outlet), and the newer USB Type-C plugs support up to 3 amps of charging, making phone charging faster, no matter how the phone is being used.
VIP Service Center for Model S
Bang & Olufsen pop-up tweeters
Warranty with 8 year unlimited mileage power train and battery coverage
verses the Feb 2019 crappy revised one that you quietly released.
Biometric memory for driver settings and access to car and starting.
A real lease option
FM Radio that can receive a stations and lock on, verses the 1980's setup now - believe its an antenna issue
Non-TREX cup holders, I don't have T-REX arms
Return of the Model S vehicle Service loaner, if you have a P100D, you get a P100D loaner, not some Model S 60/70/85/90 rental car beat to crap car.
Open up the onscreen apps for development, I don't need a freaking fart app, Christmas app etc...

Give me something useful like a kill count scoreboard, for all the Audi, BMW, Corvettes, Ducati's, etc... like this A-10 below in app form.

A-10-kill-Marks.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Watts_Up and ICUDoc
So many people always seem to want a "design refresh", without actually asking for anything.

What do you actually want from the design refresh?

huh? since when should consumers ask for a specific design? that's kind of the job of the vehicle mfg. bring something new and refined to the table. the S looked great when it first game up. the refresh updated the old look of the nose cone. but, let's be honest...it looks old now

the refresh updated the old look of the nose cone. but, let's be honest...it looks old now
I actually can’t think of a single sedan on sale in 2020 that looks better on the outside.

Anywhere outside of the Bay Area and maybe SoCal the Model S still looks like a spaceship and attracts almost as much attention as one.

I doubt that Tesla plan any majors changes to the Model S and X assembly line.

From Elon word, he mentioned that the those represent like 10% of the Model 3 and Y production,
and was not very clear of how long the Model E and X will continue to be produced.

I think only range improvement toward a 500 miles would be the only major changes, thinking of the coming Lucid Air.

I'm not even sure if Elon confirmed the tri-motor Model S?

Looking at the European market for example, a smaller Tesla car seems to be needed.

Europe-EV-Sales-June-2020-CleanTechnica.png
It's a chicken and egg situation. Does the low sales indicate that Tesla shouldn't do anything new with the S and X? or maybe the low sales is caused by Tesla's lack of attention to the S and X?

I think Tesla should have it's flagship vehicles. Obviously they won't sell as well as the cheaper models, but they'll have higher profit margins, and will add hype to the company that would also increase the sales of other models.

I'm also waiting for the smaller and cheaper European model, but hope Tesla won't forget to updates it's current models and streamline their lineup.

Reactions: msm859
Aston Martin has been doing alot of design things right. Jaguar was on the right track for a while, but I am not buying another after the way they treated me with a serious engine problem in my XK8. (busted -plastic- timing chain tensioner - had to tear down that complicated engine myself, and thank the North gods someone loaned me the suite of special tools required)

Mercedes has been doing EVERYTHING dreadfully wronger and wronger. Their cars look like Winston Churchill these days on the front, and a bunny rabbit on the back. Cadillac saved themselves at the last minute with the new 'stealth' styling, plastic interior notwithstanding. BMW is lost. Audi is too conservative to the extent of their own detriment.

First and foremost the car has to have a low Cd. Everything after that is style. Elon won't let us down.

Last edited:
design language is from the car designer.. how are people supposed to ask for a car design? do you want us to draw our dream cars on a napkin and then submit it for consideration?

I want people to say _what they want_ and that includes design. I get fed up of the vagueness of the request.

People don't ask for a battery refresh, they ask for faster charging and more capacity.

If somebody doesn't just want change for change's sake, then they can point to design features of other vehicles or things they like, or features of the current vehicle design they don't like.

Aston Martin has been doing alot of design things right. Jaguar was on the right track for a while, but I am not buying another after the way they treated me with a serious engine problem in my XK8. (busted -plastic- timing chain tensioner - had to tear down that complicated engine myself, and thank the North gods someone loaned me the suite of special tools required)

Mercedes has been doing EVERYTHING dreadfully wronger and wronger. Their cars look like Winston Churchill these days on the front, and a bunny rabbit on the back. Cadillac saved themselves at the last minute with the new 'stealth' styling, plastic interior notwithstanding. BMW is lost. Audi is too conservative to the extent of their own detriment.

First and foremost the car has to have a low Cd. Everything after that is style. Elon won't let us down.

Personalyl I think the RS4/RS6 look GREAT! Can't say much about the rest of their lineup.

* Individual 300 kW inboard motors for each wheel, 500 kW on the rear of P models.
* 8K MCU screen.
* Either a HUD or an 8K IC screen.
* More durable door handles.
* Seats that don’t get loose and rock. Stereo systems are supposed to rock, not seats!
* A stereo system without a crappy interface.
* Bring back Alcantra and real leather.
* High-strength, lightweight forged alloy wheels, with a single F1-style wheel nut on P models.
* Heated and cooled seats.
* World dominating performance: 0 to 60 in 1 second at 100% SoC, and no more than 2 seconds at 20% SoC.
* Battery/motor cooling adequate to make 1000 consecutive dragstrip runs or 40 Nürburgring laps without limiting power due to overheating.
* Molecular bonded shell like KITT.
* Photon torpedoes and a full bank of fore and aft phasers like the Enterprise.
* Flux capacitor for time travel.
* Mr. Fusion to generate the 1.21 GW needed for the Flux capacitor to operate.
* Weasel-proof warranty.

* Individual 300 kW inboard motors for each wheel, 500 kW on the rear of P models.
* 8K MCU screen.
* Either a HUD or an 8K IC screen.
* More durable door handles.
* Seats that don’t get loose and rock. Stereo systems are supposed to rock, not seats!
* A stereo system without a crappy interface.
* Bring back Alcantra and real leather.
* High-strength, lightweight forged alloy wheels, with a single F1-style wheel nut on P models.
* Heated and cooled seats.
* World dominating performance: 0 to 60 in 1 second at 100% SoC, and no more than 2 seconds at 20% SoC.
* Battery/motor cooling adequate to make 1000 consecutive dragstrip runs or 40 Nürburgring laps without limiting power due to overheating.
* Molecular bonded shell like KITT.
* Photon torpedoes and a full bank of fore and aft phasers like the Enterprise.
* Flux capacitor for time travel.
* Mr. Fusion to generate the 1.21 GW needed for the Flux capacitor to operate.
* Weasel-proof warranty.
Stupidity. Why ask for things that the laws of physics say you simply can't have? Durable door handles?? Madness!