Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project Palladium Wishlist - New Model S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Count me out when it comes to all the motorized seats, doors, frunks, ports, etc etc etc. Each a new and unique opportunity to experience Tesla’s service organization. No thanks.

That was exactly my reaction. The most common failure point in Model S has been the motorized door handles. Why would we want more of that? I agree that some things benefit from being motorized but many of the items seemed frivolous.

I’d be good with keeping the basic proportions and greenhouse, which I think are about as close to timeless as you can get, along with a front/rear refresh that is slightly more edgy and incorporates some next gen Roadster design. I think this render that has been making the rounds is a decent start. I don’t love everything about it but it’s the right idea IMO.

View attachment 577140

I think most of the “redesign” work actually needs to happen in the interior. I’ll break with the common refrain of people thinking Tesla needs to benchmark Audi in this regard and develop a super busy material/surface/angle/stitching-rich “luxury” interior that will look dated and age poorly.

Keep it simple, adopt the Model 3 design language, but increase fit/finish and material quality accordingly. Skip the gimmicks like massaging seats and heads-up displays. Increase UTILITY of the interior with thoughtful storage and comfort updates. I don’t want doors that open and close themselves with more time, effort, and drama than if I just did it myself. Don’t complicate things that don’t need complication. Learn the lessons from the Model S door handles and Model X falcon wings instead of doubling down.

Move back to the customizability of prior years. The S/X is low volume and expensive - return the ability for people to pick what they want in terms of colors, finishes, and roof treatments like an opening sunroof.

That would make me happy and incentivize me to buy another vs switching to a 3 or Y.

I agree with much of this but not all.
I am not especially fond of the Model 3/Y screen arrangement but can probably tolerate a horizontal screen as long as there is still an instrument cluster. Plus a heads-up display would be a nice feature, perhaps as an option.

Better fit and finish would be a must from a marketing standpoint, even though I have no real complaints about the assembly quality of my 2015 car.

My high priorities for any upgrade that affects the architecture would be:
  • improve the outward visibility from the driver's seat of Model S.
  • improve access/egress to the front and rear seats, especially for tall people
  • better seat comfort, front (especially) and rear (I realize this is highly individual)
  • provide rear cross-traffic detection/warning
  • provide true blind spot warnings (in the outside rear view mirrors, preferably)
  • wipers that operate closer to the edge of the windshield on the driver's side -- and keep the wiper controls on a stalk, do NOT make them part of the touch screen!
  • defrosters that are more effective at the windshield edges and under extreme conditions
  • heater that won't periodically give up in winter, and likewise for the AC in summer -- in other words, HVAC with capacities comparable to other cars in the price range
  • adjustable headrests (up, down, fore/aft, angle, like Mercedes)
  • better sound isolation and better door/window seals -- get rid of the doggone frameless windows!!!
  • more manual control of HVAC (like we used to have)
  • retain/return the sunroof option, but include a standard sliding sunscreen (like pretty much any other car has)
  • more choices in exterior paint colors, better paint quality
  • more choices in interior colors/finishes in both upholstery and dash
  • And on the other hand, I would not want my Model S any lower to the ground. I would prefer a bit more ground clearance, or at least the ability to get it with an adjustable suspension (my car has coil springs)
  • If possible, reduce the car's width and length a bit, if that can be done while still providing good range.

I have a 2020 MS performance. This is what it would take to get me interested in replacing it.
  • Paint and panel gaps that are up to modern standards and appropriate for the price point. Current paint really falls short and the panel gaps are put to shame by pretty much any modern car.
  • Less weight. 1,000 lbs less would be nice but unrealistic. Close to 500 might be reachable. This would improve efficiency , hopefully improve steering feel (steering is precise but sorely lacking in feedback), and improve handling.
  • Smaller exterior dimensions. Not much smaller but this car is considerably wider and longer than the the inside dimensions require. Rear seat legroom should be improved by an inch or two and chopping off a couple inches of exterior length shouldn't prevent this.
  • Better range. I would like something on the order of 350 miles from 90% battery charge to 10% since operation in the top and bottom 10% is frowned upon. This would also lessen the cold weather anxiety. So 450+/- EPA rating?
  • Vented seats.
  • Improved isolation from tire and wind noise.
Improved battery energy density would be key to both smaller external dimensions and weight reduction. Maybe a battery day surprise?

I would like to see, but not deal breakers:
  • better cabin storage options.
  • Improved audio.
  • Improved fit and finish on the interior. Just a little. I'm a fan of the minimalist design and integrated center display.
Don't change:
  • Instrument cluster behind the steering wheel.
  • Seats (except for venting). Very personal but these seats fit me perfectly. Very comfortable for long stretches.
  • Acceleration. I don't need more but like what I have.
I really love my car and it would take significant improvements for me to "upgrade". As far as the design is concerned I would favor evolutionary, not radical. Keep it instantly identifiable as a Tesla.

Last edited:
- Tow hitch (motorized)
- Better noise isolation
- Interior similar to Model 3, but even better finish. But keep small displays for driver and passenger
- CCS
- Plaid
- Larger adjustable spoiler
- Wider tires
I forgot all about the CCS capability. Just provide a charging adapter for goodness sake. The supercharger network is light years ahead of the competition but CCS capability would add to route planning flexibility.

I am waiting to buy my first Tesla. I have driven a Model 3 and Model X. I loved the acceleration and handling of both, but felt the ride was stiff with more road/wind noise than I expected. I am leaning towards a Model S. I like the rear hatch. I don't like the looks of the M3 or MY.

I am waiting for Battery Day to see what will be new if anything. I am coming from a Cadillac CT6 which I really love. I like that it is big, handles and accelerates great for it's size (zero-60 in 5 sec), is quiet and comfortable.

My wish is for a quite, luxury ride with more range and faster charge capabilities. If Cadillac made an EV version of CT6, I would be happy. I'm going to go drive a Model S within the next month. I sure hope I'm not disappointed because I can't see driving an ICE car anymore.

I am waiting to buy my first Tesla. I have driven a Model 3 and Model X. I loved the acceleration and handling of both, but felt the ride was stiff with more road/wind noise than I expected. I am leaning towards a Model S. I like the rear hatch. I don't like the looks of the M3 or MY.

I am waiting for Battery Day to see what will be new if anything. I am coming from a Cadillac CT6 which I really love. I like that it is big, handles and accelerates great for it's size (zero-60 in 5 sec), is quiet and comfortable.

My wish is for a quite, luxury ride with more range and faster charge capabilities. If Cadillac made an EV version of CT6, I would be happy. I'm going to go drive a Model S within the next month. I sure hope I'm not disappointed because I can't see driving an ICE car anymore.
Performance 3?

No Tesla is a luxury vehicle. The S comes closest, with a quieter, softer ride, but for its price you’re mostly paying a premium for the EV drive train. I don’t think that would be enough if not getting the elite acceleration of Performance S. Just my opinion, but the Performance 3 is the better non-luxury, drive train premium option, but it sounds like that’s too spartan for you.

Well we know it will have more speed, so I would like to see more range. Over 400 miles (advertised) and faster charging. Interestingly I have a 2020 X with the "F battery but used a 250kW charger for the first time and actually saw 200kW peak charging. That would be great if it hung around a little longer and did not drop so fast. So peak is important but also higher sustained rates. The X could use better interior lighting and an automatic frunk. Otherwise pretty much good to go.

If they do updates to the Model S, what are the chances that they will be immediately available for orders? And if not when do you guys think the first delivery for the updated version be?

What's the liklihood of a new Model S (or a refresher) actually be released..

Elon said in a tweet that they won't do an update to the Model S. But everyone saying he said that to protect sales..

I am told my model S P will be delivered in September(UK) , and been anxious about Battery day tbh...

If they do updates to the Model S, what are the chances that they will be immediately available for orders? And if not when do you guys think the first delivery for the updated version be?

What's the liklihood of a new Model S (or a refresher) actually be released..

Elon said in a tweet that they won't do an update to the Model S. But everyone saying he said that to protect sales..

I am told my model S P will be delivered in September(UK) , and been anxious about Battery day tbh...
100%

Wishing for a bigger screen. Even on S 17" screen I keep moving the border all the time because there is not enough room for map and music selections. 30" landscape adjustable position would be perfect, and much higher up of course so you don't have to look down so much.

The next one is perhaps not a wish but more of an idea: how about removing the rear brakes since Palladium will have one motor for each rear wheel? Imagine the weight and cost saving. Will the battery tolerate the charge rate of max braking from top speed? If not, throw in a capacitor to help.
Safety regulation? -passive short circuit, meaning motors will brake if power is lost.

Don't screw with the exterior body, it doesn't need a major refresh.
Fully forged monoblock alloy wheels on Performance variant
Noise Cancelling high end stereo with dual AKM AK4438VN DACs
360-degree surround-view camera system (hell KIA has this)
HID headlights, verses the crappy LED's
Leather seats
a sunroof or convertible option.
Android Auto, Amazon Alexa, Apple CarPlay, and an onboard Wi-Fi hot spot. (like the Toyota RAV4)
Waze

height adjustable seatbelts (on the B pillar for my short wife)
Fast USB charging or equally fast wireless charging: The typical USB outlet in a car charges at 0.5 amps, which charges a phone slowly. If an app is being used, the phone may lose charge even when plugged in. Many new cars now have at least a 1.5-, 2.0-, or 2.4-amp rating (noted by 1.5A, 1.5A, 2A, 2.1A, or 2.4A on the outlet), and the newer USB Type-C plugs support up to 3 amps of charging, making phone charging faster, no matter how the phone is being used.
VIP Service Center for Model S
Bang & Olufsen pop-up tweeters
Warranty with 8 year unlimited mileage power train and battery coverage
verses the Feb 2019 crappy revised one that you quietly released.
Biometric memory for driver settings and access to car and starting.
A real lease option
FM Radio that can receive a stations and lock on, verses the 1980's setup now - believe its an antenna issue
Non-TREX cup holders, I don't have T-REX arms
Return of the Model S vehicle Service loaner, if you have a P100D, you get a P100D loaner, not some Model S 60/70/85/90 rental car beat to crap car.
Open up the onscreen apps for development, I don't need a freaking fart app, Christmas app etc...

Give me something useful like a kill count scoreboard, for all the Audi, BMW, Corvettes, Ducati's, etc... like this A-10 below in app form.

A-10-kill-Marks.jpg

How can ostensibly well-informed posters here on TMC still not be aware that animal agriculture does more GHG damage than all transport combined?!? Do people forget why Tesla exists in the first place?

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

Source:

via:
COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

Geesh, get off the leather people--I know that sitting on the skins of murdered animals was a "thing" back when we were children, but that time has long past.

No more leather in any Tesla, ever.

Period.

And, to add to the list:

A. Fix the friggin' NVH issues--a Model S should be the quietest interior on the planet.

B. Automatic GAIN on the radio's volume, aka "speed dependent volume." As the speed increases the issues in A. make the radio hard to hear . . . .

C. Shrink the door sills--they don't have to be as huge/tall with better crash safety software enhancements, and better use of material science advances (i.e. better metal).

D. Coat hooks. It's been almost NINE years and we still don't have them in the S?!?

E. Landscape format for the MCU, at 17" or larger, and keep the IP display in front of the driver too please.

F. Ditto on the Model S loaners. Buying a six-figure car and hearing, "Here are some Uber credits" just doesn't cut it . . . .

G. Bulletproof reliability, across the board. That means TEST, TEST, and TEST some more. Set up stronger warranty provisions with suppliers so that they too learn how to adopt Deming's Quality principles.

H. Consider inflatable A-pillars so they can remain shrunk until an impact (see recent patents on this) as the current pillars are huge blind-spot makers.

I. Interior materials should be better than Impala standard, especially the door seals. It seems every YouTube video shows a curled up window seal behind the driver . . . .

J. Paint that looks like you can swim in it.

K. Heated armrests--those would be cool.

L. Fludetic(sp?) washers, a la any Ford from the past few years?

M. Individual wiper motors, one per side, a la the Ford Fusion. Less noise and friction, better range.

N. Upgraded steering wheel rollers; current ones have a cheap feel and similar actuation.

O. Laser headlights.

More to follow . . . .