Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project Smooth like Butter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I want to do is make the ride in my 2021 model Y smoother.

Yes I know I could have bought an X if I wanted a smooth ride, but for a number of reasons such as cost and in Canada being able to only write off up to $55,000 of the cost of the vehicle, I choose a Y.

I also understand that a lot of people like the ride of the Y. I don't. I would like a ride smooth like Butter. I'm getting old, I do long, difficult days at work and it sucks when I drive home and my neck aches when I hit every little bump. I drive an old, fully loaded 10 ton truck at work and I can tell you it rides smoother than the Y.

The plan so far is wheels and suspension. I have ordered the MPP Model Y Comfort Adjustable Coilovers. I should be getting them soon and I will review them after they are installed.

The first thing I did was lower the tire pressure to 37 lbs. Honestly I didnt notice any difference.

I could use some input about the tires. The plan is to buy a second set of rims that will be my summer tires. I live in Toronto so I use summer tires 7 or 8 months of the year.

I am mostly looking for comfort, plus I thought it would be good to get a narrower rim so the tire will hit the curb before the rim. I don't really care if my range takes a hit because I only do one or two long trips a year. I'm ok waiting a few more minutes at a supercharger.

So what would be the best tire/rim combo for my application?

I'm thinking 18 rim so the tire has more side wall, narrower than stock, and lighter to help with the ride quality. any suggestions?

thanks

So I did exactly what you did and I'm still selling the car. I bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 tires, it was a little better but not much. Then I got MPP comfort coilovers and it made a lot of the bumps smoother and much better but it's weird, on the hard bumps, it hits hard whereas little bumps doesn't as much. Ride quality is not the only reason I'm getting rid of it though, cabin noise is the primary for me and other features the car is missing.

So I did exactly what you did and I'm still selling the car. I bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 tires, it was a little better but not much. Then I got MPP comfort coilovers and it made a lot of the bumps smoother and much better but it's weird, on the hard bumps, it hits hard whereas little bumps doesn't as much. Ride quality is not the only reason I'm getting rid of it though, cabin noise is the primary for me and other features the car is missing.
just to be clear, you tried different tires, but on the same rims?

I'm suggesting I will get lightweight 18" rims and new tires with larger sidewalls. I figure this is not a big expense as I can use the stock rims for winter tires. I would buy a second set of rims and tires anyway.

with the MPP coil overs, how did you set them? I do t have mine yet but I have read a little about them and it seems you can't just crank them to the softest setting, you need to crank it to the softest then back a bit, or something like that. I don't want to give bad advice so maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

thanks

A bit lower is not an issue. Low tire pressure causes the temperature with the tire to increase. Low tire pressure is a leading cause of tire blowouts, the reason that all current vehicles have tire pressure monitoring systems. If drivers paid attention to their tire pressure we collectively would not have to endure the expense of TPMS unless we chose tire pressure monitoring as a vehicle option.

The tire rating also takes into account a blowout scenario. In the event of sudden tire failure of one tire the tire on same axle on the opposite side of the vehicle needs to be able to carry the full load specified for the gross axle weight rating of the vehicle long enough to safely pull to the shoulder.

I got my MPP comfort coil overs last week and I am getting them installed tomorrow. I'm going to have them set to the softest setting, and the highest ride.

For rims and tires, I'm going with a Replika 241 18" x 8.5. 18" so I can get a taller sidewall and 8.5" to avoid curb rash. I am going with a 255/55/R18 tire so I get the largest sidewall possible. This is %3 bigger than stock, just slightly over 29". The guys at MPP say it should fit as they use a bigger tire on their model Y. I am getting a Pirelli Scorpion Verdi all season. My tire guy says it is a good value tire, not too expensive, but still a good tire. I wanted a grand touring tire, but this is what he came up with. I haven't ordered them yet so I might give the tires a second look

The plan is to have the shocks installed and drive it for a few weeks so I can evaluate them, then do the rims and tires.

Definitely let us know ASAP how it rides with the MPP comfort coils. If I find the ride too harsh in my MYLR, I'm strongly considering this.
I had MPP coilovers and they made a great difference in ride quality going over imperfections BUT going over pot holes and manhole covers became significantly rougher, more rougher than stock and I don't know why. I set everything on max soft setting too.

I got my MPP comfort coil overs last week and I am getting them installed tomorrow. I'm going to have them set to the softest setting, and the highest ride.

For rims and tires, I'm going with a Replika 241 18" x 8.5. 18" so I can get a taller sidewall and 8.5" to avoid curb rash. I am going with a 255/55/R18 tire so I get the largest sidewall possible. This is %3 bigger than stock, just slightly over 29". The guys at MPP say it should fit as they use a bigger tire on their model Y. I am getting a Pirelli Scorpion Verdi all season. My tire guy says it is a good value tire, not too expensive, but still a good tire. I wanted a grand touring tire, but this is what he came up with. I haven't ordered them yet so I might give the tires a second look

The plan is to have the shocks installed and drive it for a few weeks so I can evaluate them, then do the rims and tires.
Updates???

At 42 PSI, my 19" OEM tires are rated for over 2000# more than my GVWR. I don't think it's any issue running a bit lower.

That is what Ford motor company thought until they rolled a bunch of Explorers over. Ford claims all of the problems were due to poor manufacturing by Firestone. Firestone claimed that Ford having the recommended pressure of 26 psi instead of 30 psi lead to over heating and tire failure.

The reason we have TPMS systems is because of this debacle. I never run underinflated tires due to the heat buildup problem, especially on a heavy vehicle.

Keith

Reactions: jcanoe
I had MPP coilovers and they made a great difference in ride quality going over imperfections BUT going over pot holes and manhole covers became significantly rougher, more rougher than stock and I don't know why. I set everything on max soft setting too.

There are two possible reasons for the rough ride on larger bumps.

#1 The way the shocks are constructed and valved. It may just be the nature of these shocks, call the manufacturer and ask them.

#2 You have them set so soft that when you hit a big bump they run out of suspension travel and you hit the bump stops. If this is the case it would feel REALLY rough over large bumps, almost like you don't have any shocks at all.

Keith

That is what Ford motor company thought until they rolled a bunch of Explorers over. Ford claims all of the problems were due to poor manufacturing by Firestone. Firestone claimed that Ford having the recommended pressure of 26 psi instead of 30 psi lead to over heating and tire failure.

The reason we have TPMS systems is because of this debacle. I never run underinflated tires due to the heat buildup problem, especially on a heavy vehicle.

Keith
I gave a more detailed explanation of my thoughts on this, as well as noting the Explorer issue here: 299wh/mile! Woohoo!

My low CoG MY, running 38 PSI is a far cry from a high CoG Explorer at 26 PSI.

Reactions: jsight
I gave a more detailed explanation of my thoughts on this, as well as noting the Explorer issue here: 299wh/mile! Woohoo!

My low CoG MY, running 38 PSI is a far cry from a high CoG Explorer at 26 PSI.
Yup, your car weighs 600 lbs more than a 1990's explorer. I would have to agree that tire pressure concerns would be different for our cars than a lighter vehicle. I had not qualms about running 26 psi in the tires on my Miata.

Keith

update on the coil overs set to max comfort (and max height)
I read this elsewhere, but the trouble with suspension modifications is it is really tough to judge how much of a difference it has made because it is tough to measure how much "softer" it is. The guy who installed them, Tito in North york who was recommended by MPP, drove it around and he felt it was much softer. I have only had it a few days and I do notice a difference. Is it smooth like a cadillac, no, but I think it is better. I think it will also get softer with time as that happened with my 2018 model 3.

Tito's shop seemed to have a lot of experience with performance vehicles judging by the other cars in the shop and he was affable guy so I would recommend him.

I think the product does what it claims, but what is really needed is a simple upgrade kit that purely focuses on comfort,without all the glitzy settings. I know I will never touch them. It could be cheaper and the model Y needs it

Next step is tires in a few weeks

Reactions: SpaceShipDrvr