TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Project Stash

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by cryptyk, Oct 22, 2015.

1. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

I got sick of my sunglasses flying out of the storage under the main screen. And I got sick of my J1772 charger sitting in my cup holder. And I tired of carrying my stupid charging cards in my wallet. So I built a little carrier for that little storage area. Ignore the color - it's a prototype and I ran out of black plastic :)
    This is v6. It was pretty challenging to get the measurements right so it would sit nice and tight in the pocket and hold the cards/adapter correctly. I'm still working on surface finishes, at least for the front because it's visible. I'm also looking at a few different ways of securing the sunglasses without having to "clip" them to anything. I'll find a way so they just sit in that compartment and stay put.

Sorry for the picture quality. I'm too lazy to get my camera out, so used a potato instead.

IMAG0334.jpg IMAG0333.jpg IMAG0332.jpg IMAG0331.jpg

2. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Neat idea. I look forward to seeing it in action.

Will the glasses fit through the opening on top without fully removing the whole thing from the cubby?

3. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

Oh - I should have explained that. I have a bass control knob for my subwoofer installed in the top of the cubby. That cutout is so I can "install" the carrier into the cubby. I'll go put it in the car and take a picture to explain. BRB.

- - - Updated - - -

This should explain. You can see how the cutout is necessary because the bass knob is installed in the top of the cubby.

IMAG0337.jpg IMAG0335.jpg IMAG0336.jpg

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Very nice. 3D printer? I keep my J1772 in the slot in the glove box and it holds it just great. I've only had to use it once.

5. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

Yah - 3d printed. I don't have any way to charge at home, so I'm constantly using the J1772 and those cards. This thing is a godsend for that situation!

6. DougH

DougH Active Member

Dang that is creative, you should patent that :wink:

7. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

It looks like you have an internal J1772 charge port! :)

8. musicious

musicious Member

I'd suggest a front lip/short wall at the bottom of the center section to prevent the sunglasses from flying out when accelerating quickly

9. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

I've considered that, but I want to see if I can find a surface that works without a door. I think some of that sticky stay-put stuff might work, or (don't laugh) shag carpet.

10. CHG-ON

Orange shag with the green case. Now that's a combo!

11. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Here's a very simple solution I use to stash two pairs of prescription glasses (sun and clear), both on the drivers door near the steering wheel. The glasses are easy to reach, never fall out of the case, and are completely protected. I bought 2 of these, snipped off the visor clip, glued them to a small panel, covered the BMW logo with a red Tesla T, then using double sided tape, attached the panel on the door near the wheel. Works like a charm.

IMG_0294.jpg

12. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

I hope brainstorming is not out of line.
    Why couldn't a lower profile, "tray" aka open-top version work? Up-facing slots on the left to hold the cards vertically, a lip across the front and back to hold it together and retain sunglasses, and a stump on the back right to accept the Tesla end of the Jplug. Jplug is upside-down and held in place by pressing it down on an extruded nub that grabs the "Latch Notch."
    Being only ~ 1/2 inch tall (except for the plug acceptor at the back) means WAY less material, and less printer time...

13. CHG-ON

I can't imagine not charging at home. Is that hard to manage? I don't think I could have bought the car, since there are few charging options near me. I just cautioned a friend of mine to think that through carefully since she can't charge at home either.

14. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

We have free J1772 chargers at work :)

- - - Updated - - -

I think that would work, but I didn't want something that I had to pull out to access. I want it to look permanent, and I'm too lazy to be pulling a drawer out to get to the cards or other things in the drawer. You're right about print time, though :)

15. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I keep my charging cards in the seat pocket on the front of the driver's seat. I've thought that a pretty simple solution for the cubby would be a tiny cargo net, if it could be attached in a way that wasn't junky looking. You could still get to the stuff behind it.
    ?

16. Great Dane

Great Dane Member

Hey butterfly Lady ,
    I put antislip mat in mine
    I first thought it was a savings plan to buy a Tesla
    LOL

17. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Don't even get me started on what you have in there for stashing stuff. Good lord

18. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

As a fellow 3D printer-er, kudos!

RepRap Mendel90 with a few mods ;)

19. 5thumbs

5thumbs Member

The green stash box is really unique. I enjoy seeing custom stuff like that. Now I have to think about making something like that to suit my needs. Your design got me thinking of some sort of drawer. I've not yet acclimated to not having lots of stash places and cup holders in a car...