Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project Stash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got sick of my sunglasses flying out of the storage under the main screen. And I got sick of my J1772 charger sitting in my cup holder. And I tired of carrying my stupid charging cards in my wallet. So I built a little carrier for that little storage area. Ignore the color - it's a prototype and I ran out of black plastic :)
This is v6. It was pretty challenging to get the measurements right so it would sit nice and tight in the pocket and hold the cards/adapter correctly. I'm still working on surface finishes, at least for the front because it's visible. I'm also looking at a few different ways of securing the sunglasses without having to "clip" them to anything. I'll find a way so they just sit in that compartment and stay put.

Sorry for the picture quality. I'm too lazy to get my camera out, so used a potato instead.

IMAG0334.jpg
IMAG0333.jpg
IMAG0332.jpg
IMAG0331.jpg

Neat idea. I look forward to seeing it in action.

Will the glasses fit through the opening on top without fully removing the whole thing from the cubby?

Oh - I should have explained that. I have a bass control knob for my subwoofer installed in the top of the cubby. That cutout is so I can "install" the carrier into the cubby. I'll go put it in the car and take a picture to explain. BRB.

- - - Updated - - -

This should explain. You can see how the cutout is necessary because the bass knob is installed in the top of the cubby.

IMAG0337.jpg
IMAG0335.jpg
IMAG0336.jpg

Here's a very simple solution I use to stash two pairs of prescription glasses (sun and clear), both on the drivers door near the steering wheel. The glasses are easy to reach, never fall out of the case, and are completely protected. I bought 2 of these, snipped off the visor clip, glued them to a small panel, covered the BMW logo with a red Tesla T, then using double sided tape, attached the panel on the door near the wheel. Works like a charm.

IMG_0294.jpg

I hope brainstorming is not out of line.
Why couldn't a lower profile, "tray" aka open-top version work? Up-facing slots on the left to hold the cards vertically, a lip across the front and back to hold it together and retain sunglasses, and a stump on the back right to accept the Tesla end of the Jplug. Jplug is upside-down and held in place by pressing it down on an extruded nub that grabs the "Latch Notch."
Being only ~ 1/2 inch tall (except for the plug acceptor at the back) means WAY less material, and less printer time...

I can't imagine not charging at home. Is that hard to manage? I don't think I could have bought the car, since there are few charging options near me. I just cautioned a friend of mine to think that through carefully since she can't charge at home either.

Yah - 3d printed. I don't have any way to charge at home, so I'm constantly using the J1772 and those cards. This thing is a godsend for that situation!

I can't imagine not charging at home. Is that hard to manage? I don't think I could have bought the car, since there are few charging options near me. I just cautioned a friend of mine to think that through carefully since she can't charge at home either.

We have free J1772 chargers at work :)

- - - Updated - - -

I hope brainstorming is not out of line.
Why couldn't a lower profile, "tray" aka open-top version work? Up-facing slots on the left to hold the cards vertically, a lip across the front and back to hold it together and retain sunglasses, and a stump on the back right to accept the Tesla end of the Jplug. Jplug is upside-down and held in place by pressing it down on an extruded nub that grabs the "Latch Notch."
Being only ~ 1/2 inch tall (except for the plug acceptor at the back) means WAY less material, and less printer time...

I think that would work, but I didn't want something that I had to pull out to access. I want it to look permanent, and I'm too lazy to be pulling a drawer out to get to the cards or other things in the drawer. You're right about print time, though :)

I keep my charging cards in the seat pocket on the front of the driver's seat. I've thought that a pretty simple solution for the cubby would be a tiny cargo net, if it could be attached in a way that wasn't junky looking. You could still get to the stuff behind it.
?

The green stash box is really unique. I enjoy seeing custom stuff like that. Now I have to think about making something like that to suit my needs. Your design got me thinking of some sort of drawer. I've not yet acclimated to not having lots of stash places and cup holders in a car...