TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Projected Service/Service Costs

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by PTADO, Mar 8, 2016.

1. PTADO

PTADO Member

Can we discuss the maintenance and/or potential problems the 3 may have? Maybe those who have owned either a Roadster or an S for more than a year can chime in to educate those newcomers like myself.

From what I gather, maintenance is few and far in-between:
    "Your Tesla vehicle is protected by a 4 year, 50,000 miles (whichever comes first) new vehicle limited warranty and 8 year, unlimited mile battery and drive unit warranty. Tesla recommends an Annual Service Inspection every year or 12,500 miles to maintain your vehicle to top performance standards.

So, that being said, are there any common failures with these cars? Something current owners commonly discuss as problematic? Once-a-year maintenance is maintenance-free in MY eyes, especially coming from a car where oil is changed every 3K, in addition to constant part-replacements from wear and tear.

More than that, it looks like the things they DO check in service aren't even related to anything mechanically major aside from battery coolant and brake fluid:

Year 1
    12,500 miles
    Year 2
    25,000 miles
    Year 3
    37,500 miles
    Year 4
    50,000 miles
    Multi point inspection (w/ tire rotation and alignment check)XXXX
    Cabin air filter replacementXXXX
    Wiper blade set replacementXXXX
    Key fob battery replacement (set)XXXX
    Brake fluid replacement X X
    A/C service X X
    Battery coolant replacement X
    Individual service cost$400$700$400$900
    3 years prepaid service cost$1,325$900
    4 years prepaid service cost$2,100
    8 years prepaid service cost
    The specified services repeat for years 5 through 8
    $4,000
    So, basically what I'm asking is: If (hopefully) I get locked into my Model 3, will it be a theoretically "worry-free" car? I just can't wrap my brain around it if that's the case. Thanks in advance for the replies and education on this.

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Tesla current structure for maintenance is a rip off. Many people on the Model S forums don't take the car in for service at all, or only on the even years where they do a fluid flush.

You need to worry about the same things in an ICE: tire wear, alignment, balance, cabin air filter, wiper blades, coolant, 12V battery, etc.
    You don't need to worry about: Oil changes, transmission flushes, spark plugs, serpentine belts, timing belts, etc.

3. PTADO

PTADO Member

Okay, that definitely answered one of my questions. So the general consensus is the maintenance plan offered through Tesla is a no-go as far as being cost-effective?

4. Max*

There are some die-hard Tesla fans who say that it's worth the $600/year (average) for Tesla to look over the car. There's also the other group of people who think it's a complete rip off (I'm part of that group, just in case you're wondering of my bias).

There's a lot of discussion going on currently in the Model S forum about the average cost to maintain a premium ICE sedan vs. Tesla's "low maintenance" EV.

One more thing to consider, Tesla can't void the warranty for not doing annual service. But they could potentially deny your claim for an extended warranty (since it's not really a warranty, but an extended service agreement) if you don't do the service visits. This has been a controversial topic lately too, I don't remember if it's been proven one way or another yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Annual service price increased by 50% Last few pages discuss ICE vs. Tesla's EV average costs to maintain a car.

5. boiler81

boiler81 Member

Look at the MS forum. It seems the 12V battery needs to be replaced every 12 - 16 months. :mad: Hopefully they make it live longer on the M3.

6. Max*

Another common failure is the drive units being replaced due to whining and/or other noises. Supposedly this is getting better, but who knows. [Also, it's covered under the 8 year, infinite mile warranty]

7. PTADO

PTADO Member

I took a look at that thread and there are definitely some good points in there. I'm leaning toward jumping on your boat in saying that Tesla's proposed maintenance plan is slightly overpriced for what they're selling. Especially when considering purchasing a 2017 ICE vehicle and the maintenance costs that come with that for the first 5 years or so. Newer vehicle don't require much maintenance as they once did, and if you bounce the price of the Tesla service against an ICE yearly maintenance I would say a regular car damn-near ends up cheaper.
    My biggest concern I guess is the warranty, which seems to be fairly in place and acceptable.

8. T-Will

T-Will Member

I was wondering the same thing about ongoing maintenance costs. It looks like the "even year plan" is what I would plan on though.

9. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

I hope the plan and service costs are less for the Model 3. It's one thing for the Model S costs to be that high since it is a $100k car, but to have to pay those high of costs for a car that cost half as much will be a tough pill to swallow. I drive lots of miles (close to 30k a year) and I would be buying the extended warranty, so I would be required to service the car per Teslas schedule as the contracts are written now.

10. eisbock

eisbock Member

So let me get this straight:

The warranty that comes with the car (4yr/50k + 8yr/ bat/drivetrain) does NOT require you to take the car in for yearly/12.5k service visits?

However, if you opt to extend the 4yr/50k to 8yr/100k*, that does require the vehicle to be serviced yearly/12.5k?

*100k could potentially be x+50k, where x is the number of miles driven at the 4yr warranty expiration (assuming you drove less than 12.5k per year)

11. YBT

YBT Member

70K Model S = $600/year
    35K Model 3 = $300/year

Right :tongue:

12. vjason

vjason Member

I would think that if you skipped the year 2/4 service, it would be up to Tesla to prove that was what caused the issue you are trying to get fixed under warranty (be it extended or not). Such as a simple fix that would have been caught in the multi-point inspection, that turned into something much more serious because it was neglected.

They really do need to reduce those service costs for 3 owners. A multi-point inspection should be free, and the rest of the stuff parts plus an hour labor. They can charge 3 owners $200 and still come out far ahead given that those parts should cost them less than $30.

BMW/Mercedes/others include the first 4 years/50K miles maintenance for free (Chevy 2/24), so it isn't like I'm being greedy here.

13. tga

tga Active Member

Someone pointed out (in another thread that I'm having difficulty locating) that the Magnuson–Moss Act doesn't apply to the ESA, since it's not a real warranty.

14. Max*

Again, the extended "warranty" is not a "warranty", it's a service agreement. ESA = Extended Service Agreement.

As such, it does not comply with the laws regarding burden of proof for a failure, like a warranty does.

15. vjason

vjason Member

I'll have to dig into the extended warranty on my Prius to see if there are similar terms. I wasn't explicitly told getting dealer service was required, but I wouldn't be surprised.

16. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Ah, but it's not an extended "warranty", It's an extended "service agreement". It works out the same as a warranty, but escapes the legal problems with requiring Tesla service.

From the extended service agreement: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/na_tesla_warranty_plan_agreement_ot.pdf

The Owner’s Manual includes specific recommendations regarding the use, operations, and maintenance of the Vehicle.To maintain the validity of this Vehicle ESA, You must follow correct operations procedures and have Your Vehicleserviced as recommended by Tesla during the Agreement Period of this Vehicle ESA. If requested, proof of requiredservice, including receipts showing date and mileage of the Vehicle at the time of service, must be presented before anyrepairs under this Vehicle ESA commence. Service within 1,000 miles and/or 30 days of Tesla’s recommended intervalsshall be considered compliant with the terms of this Vehicle ESA.