Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our S90D VIN last six is 156xxx, built November 2016 with HW2. So a 159xxx is probably a November 2016 build.
Your car was originally ordered early in April 2016 with a delayed delivery since we were expecting another Model S in June 2016. In September 2016, Tesla was ready to start building it but we asked them to delay delivery again since we knew AP2 would be coming in October. Back in 2016, I think Tesla assigned the VIN to the order before they actually started building the car. It might be one of the lowest VINs that had AP2 hardware when it was built in November 2016. I've seen others claim that AP2 didn't start until VIN 168xxx or similar...but we know there are VINs as low as 156xxx that originally had AP2. :)

Last edited:
Tesla assigned the VIN to the order before they actually started building the car.
You are completely right!!!

I placed the order for my 2017 built Model S on February 2016, and was assigned a VIN a few days later after confirming my configuration.

Then, I delayed my delivery FOR A YEAR (those were the days 😊), and got the actual delivery of the vehicle on February 2017. As you can see from the image below, I have a 149xxx VIN, but the vehicle was actually built on mid January 2017, with of course, AP2.0 hardware.

20210831_233511.jpg

Your car was originally ordered early in April 2016 with a delayed delivery since we were expecting another Model S in June 2016. In September 2016, Tesla was ready to start building it but we asked them to delay delivery again since we knew AP2 would be coming in October. Back in 2016, I think Tesla assigned the VIN to the order before they actually started building the car. It might be one of the lowest VINs that had AP2 hardware when it was built in November 2016. I've seen others claim that AP2 didn't start until VIN 168xxx or similar...but we know there are VINs as low as 156xxx that originally had AP2. :)
Thanks for clearing that up! So, it appears that we do have one very recent winner in the FSD Beta lottery from our invisible little group. If so, more good news will surely start dribbling out.🥳

Reactions: scarelli
I am anxiously awaiting confirmation of a Oct 2016 MX, with Camera Upgrade, getting FSD BETA SOFTWARE.

My Tesla Customer Acceptance date was Nov 12, 2016, for my MX 75D. I too received my VIN# 030XXX shortly thereafter for a Dec 2016 build, and took delivery Dec 22, 2016.

Thanks for clearing that up! So, it appears that we do have one very recent winner in the FSD Beta lottery from our invisible little group. If so, more good news will surely start dribbling out.🥳
I have 2021.40.6 software; does not mean I could get into Beta now? Note I cancelled my subscription so hard to see if it is relevant to this discussion.
Still missing features like sentry cam viewer. So I am not sure we can just imply based on software version?

I

Last edited:
I have 2021.40.6 software; does not mean I could get into Beta now? Note I cancelled my subscription so hard to see if it is relevant to this discussion.
Still missing features like sentry cam viewer. So I am not sure we can just imply based on software version?
Only the Plaid & refresh LR are getting Sentry Cam viewer for S/X vehicles. It seems to be one more feature that Tesla is only giving to the 3/Y & not to their premier vehicles (S/X).

• Informative
Reactions: fbitz777
our invisible little group
Got that right!

I generally consider myself to be a patient man. I have 5 kids, so you understand. I've been trying to be civil and professional in my many dozens of ignored tweets to Elon/Tesla - not that it would help, but calling a shyster by name might make me feel better. Was just about to tell the king he didn't have any clothes on, but in light of this drip of water in the desert, maybe I'll restrain myself a bit longer.

BUT, he's still a first-class con-man, no doubt. I do hope he reads these forums on occasion. Maybe I'd get blacklisted - not sure I'd lose anything at all. But here's to hope that someone has actually figured beta FSD out for those who "saved Tesla" and believed what the man clearly said time after time - my bad. A big part of me really feels sorry for the man as he appears seriously lost in life. I'd love to have a one-on-one and heart-to-heart talk with him. Aspirational statements? Baloney. Most people I'm sure would choose a different adjective. I'm selling shares in the Brooklyn Bridge too - someday it can be yours. Mind you, those are only aspirational statements but send me $10k in cash if you are interested. I fully expect the walls to the kingdom to crumble not far down the road. And the king may find himself in an even more uncomfortable situation.

Plus, with all of the issues with FSD, this may be a blessing in disguise. They went to vision-only because of too many phantom braking events? They need to look in the mirror. Certainly nobody should be surprised. I didn't watch all of the FSD YT's, but did watch many hours - I don't recall anyone mentioning the phantom braking issue before real people started to get it. I would really hate to lose the convenience of interstate travel with non-FSD AP. It's not perfect by a long shot, but it is predictable and does make long drives much easier, IMHO.

Competition is coming quickly. Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear. I tend to keep my cars for 10 years or so, but in this case I'll likely jump ship sooner. If I can sell my car with a somewhat functional FSD but without a driver-monitoring camera, we may see the value of our trade-in's increase quite a bit. We'll be potentially driving high-demand unicorn cars. But that elusive, usable version of FSD remains "aspirational".

@KArnold
The phantom braking does seem to be a vision only issue. Our car has gotten a lot better than it used to be. There are a couple spots that it regularly phantom brakes, due to dips in the road, but we’re used to them & know to keep a foot on the accelerator to prevent the phantom braking. But we don’t get it for oncoming cars on 2 lane roads like many vision only cars seem to do.

And as far as YT videos, the ones I watch aren’t all positive. I’ve really only watched 2 channels for most of the FSD Beta period, Chuck Cook & DirtyTesla. I started with Chuck & then expanded to include Dirty Tesla. More recently I’ve started watching videos from Roger K & Frenchie. None of them are overly positive about FSD Beta, Frenchie is probably the most positive of that bunch. I watched some AI DRIVR videos but then stopped because they were too positive.

Not sure I believe Elon has any nefarious intentions, but I do think Tesla is completely winging it and Elon's unbridled optimism is detached from reality here

Elon flat out said less than 12 months ago that he was "extremely confident, 100%" that Tesla would have Level 5 within the next 30 days. He said it in December 2020, and he reiterated it in January 2021.

Some people might look back at that and wonder how he could be so far off without it being intentional. I don't think we're even in the same galaxy as Level 5 right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure I believe Elon has any nefarious intentions, but I do think Tesla is completely winging it and Elon's unbridled optimism is detached from reality here

Elon flat out said less than 12 months ago that he was "extremely confident, 100%" that Tesla would have Level 5 within the next 30 days. He said it in December 2020, and he reiterated it in January 2021.

Some people might look back at that and wonder how he could be so far off without it being intentional. I don't think we're even in the same galaxy as Level 5 right now.
He said by end of 2021 in January, not 30 days...

He said by end of 2021 in January, not 30 days...

Yeah I'm saying he said by it would happen this year, so as of right now we have 30 days remaining to achieve Level 5

Elon said this in response to a tweet that Whole Mars Blog has now deleted

We'll have to see how it ages

Holy cow! Just received an email from FSDBETA telling me I can now schedule the camera retrofit!
And sure enough, I now have the option in the app! They let me schedule a mobile appointment for th 7th, will update if that gets changed
Second wave may be coming... going to update the spreadsheet

Attachments

• IMG_5633.jpg
    IMG_5633.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 48