Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Promised single pedal driving, etc?

Tdreamer

Supercharger
Supporting Member
Sep 10, 2017
Bedford, Massachusetts
I would hope to see an improvement to single pedal driving where the car will actually come to a complete stop instead of requiring you to use the mechanical brake for the last 5mph of deceleration.

Reactions: vitesse

milleron

Jun 16, 2017
Columbus Ohio USA
I just noticed this topic, and I’m curious about why one might want this feature. Inasmuch as safety standards will always require redundant friction brakes in case of failure of regen, and that will require the presence of a brake pedal, what's the advantage of pure one-pedal driving?

Reactions: Ciaopec

Oldschool496

Sep 27, 2017
Florida
advantage of pure one-pedal driving?
Well I'm just getting my head around it as well. I assume if your not maintaining pressure on the one pedal you are braking. More pressure is accelerating, more pressure is going even faster. Foot completely off the pedal, some hard(er) braking perhaps? Please others clear this for me at least.

I would hope to see an improvement to single pedal driving where the car will actually come to a complete stop instead of requiring you to use the mechanical brake for the last 5mph of deceleration.

I actually like the way it is set up now. For all intents and purposes I drive with one pedal only and if I really have to use the friction brakes in the last few mph it serves to keep the brakes rust free!

• Love
Reactions: outdoors

Tdreamer

Supercharger
Supporting Member
Sep 10, 2017
Bedford, Massachusetts
I actually like the way it is set up now. For all intents and purposes I drive with one pedal only and if I really have to use the friction brakes in the last few mph it serves to keep the brakes rust free!
That's a really good point. I would assume that they could implement a combination of regen and the use of the friction brake to bring the car to a complete stop through single pedal driving though. The driver could always use the brake pedal to stop faster, but having a mode that could be enabled to stop completely would be a great addition.

EVDRVN

May 12, 2018
North Bay Area
I drove one of the first Tesla prototypes with a regen slifer that went from 0-100%. Having the ability to have a little more regen would be nice and there is no ned for friction brakes but if you want to do full fast stop on regen it is a bit uncomfortable. I also had an EV with a switch to turn off regen to clean the brake rotors.

Uncle Paul

Nov 1, 2013
Canyon Lake,CA
Tesla already has the one pedal (even No Pedal) driving technology. They use it for Autopilot cruise control all the time. Car will come to a complete stop, with no driver input, when the vehicle in front of them comes to a complete stop.

Perhaps something like this is what they are going to roll out to the fleet.

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA
I hate to be obtuse, but I too would like to know the benefit of one pedal driving.

Personal preference, really. I'm a big fan of Tesla's current implementation, but I've also driven a Chevy Bolt EV that will come to a full stop without pressing the brake pedal.

I prefer it to come to a stop with regen only, as I don't want the computer to apply the mechanical brakes. Why? Because it usually isn't very smooth, especially in wet weather when mechanical brake friction changes... it can get grabby.

Fortunately, it sounds like Tesla is going to make "Stop Mode" a toggle in the UI, so you can choose whether it's on or off depending on what suits you.

milleron

Jun 16, 2017
Columbus Ohio USA
I hate to be obtuse, but I too would like to know the benefit of one pedal driving.
Please pardon me if I'm assuming too much about what you're asking. One wants to use one-pedal driving as much as possible in order to maximize regenerative capture. I've always done that. I simply don't see any further advantage to having regen take me from 4mph all the way to zero. The energy app shows essentially no regen at those speeds, presumably because it cuts out around 4mph, but there's precious little right before reaching 4-5 mph. In routine driving, even after regen stops around 4 mph, I can usually wait until I'm down to 1 mph before tapping the brake pedal.

Reactions: Ciaopec

TMThree

Mar 28, 2019
USA
Power boost almost assuredly not, raven only is my guess, one pedal driving I would say yes.

It would make sense that its for raven only because model 3 gets 5% gains while raven (with one model 3 motor in it) gets 3% gains

Gridlok

Sep 20, 2017
Gibsons B.C.
I like it the way it is as well. Some other cars, (I have heard), are making you use the brake pedal for regen, then push more firmly for braking. Doesn't sound as easy to use for me.

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA
I like it the way it is as well. Some other cars, (I have heard), are making you use the brake pedal for regen, then push more firmly for braking. Doesn't sound as easy to use for me.

That type of brake-activated regen is not what Tesla is proposing, fortunately. :)

beatle

Aug 31, 2019
Springfield, VA
Model 3 already does this. It took a little getting used to, but I prefer it to the regen that peters out around 5mph. Whether they can do it with full regen or whether it requires mechanical assist via the servo is irrelevant to me. I just prefer to leave my right foot where it is.

Jabbahop

May 11, 2017
Vermont and Utah
While prefer the one pedal driving, I agree about the rust. We have a model S and a BMW i3. The i3 comes to a complete stop without braking in normal driving. I just had to spend a bunch of money replacing the disks and pads on the i3 due to rust because I didn’t use the brakes enough (in New England with lots of rust issues).

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC