TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Prompt to hold the wheel 5x in 2 min?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Randy Spencer, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

Driving up from LA on highway 5 past Coalinga, every 15 seconds I needed to tug the wheel. WHAT IS GOING ON?

This is not normally that frequent, what was different this day. Same software I am currently running 32.2

-Randy

2. SigNC

SigNC Member

Are you actually holding the wheel and it's still asking for a tug or you are hands off and just tugging when it says to?

3. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

I haven't had an issue with 32.2. I always lightly hang my right hand on the 5 o'clock position and it never complains.

4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

I believe that someone determined that it isn't a timed event, it is based on distance and it is set at 0.5 miles. So the faster you go, the more "attention" you have to pay to the wheel. I was just using mine and it seemed to be staying the same. On slower roads where you go 30 mph, that's every minute I got nagged.

5. mc2002tii

mc2002tii Supporting Member

I ran into the same thing last weekend, and I'm not sure what is going on. On Saturday I drove for about 2 hours with autopilot on (over a couple sessions) and only got 1 or 2 nags. The next day, I probably got 15 or 20 nags in about 60 minutes of autopilot driving. I'm pretty sure I didn't change my wheel-holding style between days. The car is on 2018.32.2.

6. FrankD

FrankD New Member

Just had a similar problem driving from Ft Myers to Bonita Springs on 41. Kept getting the flashing blue light and the prompt to "apply light pressure" to the wheel. Seems like I need a death grip to shut off the blue light. Seems more sensitive recently.

7. NYCR160

NYCR160 Member

I had at least 4 per minute last night and no software changes since 8/26 (32.2). This was new behavior on the same stretch of highway I drive every day! I did have the curse speed set in the high 80's. I just assumed that the software is now increasing the number of prompts based on how high above the speed limit I was. At slower speeds I had less prompts; however, I was on a different highway.

8. Chris350

Chris350 Member

I drove from Palm Beach to Orlando and back (300+ miles) and I would say that I only got it a few times.... On 32.2

9. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

I tugged it when it prompted. My left hand is not heavy enough to have the car detect it as holding the wheel.

But my post was about the frequency. Every 25 seconds? Perhaps it is the speed, Hwy 5 is the highest speed limit stretch I drive. But I go 71 much of the time and I go 40 seconds between nags. Sure do miss the two-minute nags I got back in the 2018.10 days. Looking forward to FSD.

-Randy