Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prompted to charge immediately with 350km range left

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was backing my ‘21 performance 3 into laneway, and went went forward to fix position. Put in park and noticed the car still showed reverse. Went to park again and got a notice to charge immediately. Looked at battery and it showed a gray box instead of a charge.

I know I had 300+ Km range, so I put in reverse and back up to the charger (at least it let me) and all of a sudden it shows proper charge.

I rebooted the car with two touch wheels.

I’ve rebooted 3 times this week. It froze completely while supercharging two days ago, requiring a reboot (unplugged while rebooting).

Should I be concerned or is this just what to expect over time? Previous 6 months of ownership have been solid, but cold weather seems to make the car unreliable.

I believe I would take it to tesla if that were my car. I would also make mention of the time / date these things occurred as close as possible so they could possibly pull the logs.

An occasional glitch isnt much to worry about, but "I needed to reboot three times this week" would concern me, and I have never had the car not show battery left like you mention.

Reactions: FalconFour
I'd suspect a loose/janky connection at the MCU (as mentioned, something for Tesla to look-at/fix) -- because that's all you reboot with the two wheeled thing (it just reboots the display computer, the MCU). There's probably around 10-15 other controllers/computers throughout the car (including the Autopilot computer) that aren't affected by that reboot. So, if "a reboot" (two wheels) fixes anything, it's MCU-related; related to the display but not the actual car/hardware. In this case, I'd wager it somehow stopped hearing from the BMS telling it what % SOC to put on the screen.

Hopefully that helps narrow it down a bit. Not the first person I've heard with weird computer (MCU) issues, but I'll at least say that in my 80k miles since 2018, my Model 3 hasn't had such issues :)

Today while backing up I noticed the gears not updating again on MCU (my laneway is on a busy street so I back up onto oversided sidewalk and pull ahead)

Got about 1km away before the MCU completly froze. I was going to reboot it at my destination (another 1km) but the MCU self rebooted and seemed fine.

The odd thing is the MCU is very laggy and the speakers put out interferance (tapping/buffeting) before the issues occur.
Backup camera has been very laggy last week or so as well.

I went ahead and put in for service and noted the time of todays MCU crash as this is happening almost daily now, and we average less than 60km per day.

To add to this, if anyone experiences this extreme lag with the latest update: I believe it’s related to the custom colorizer.

I can simulate the lag on demand by changing my colour to/from my default msm colour — which is kinda disappointing that a silly feature could cause so much grief.

I captured dashcam videos with with colour set to msm showing lag, change to any other colour and lag goes away on the dashcam videos

The first crash happened while setting a custom neon green colour while supercharging (which still shows when going into software menu with msm set).

At least I have something to demo at my apt, but hoping they can just see this remote.

Last edited:
Tesla updated me that they cleared some problematic files from the system and that the reboots should stop.

They are still investigating my report of the slow ui as a result of the colour customizer after sending them over a video showing the dashcam viewer repeatedly hang with a certain colour selection.

I wasn’t expecting tesla support to be this good, I thought they would tell me to change the colour of my car (the workaround) and sod off 😭

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin