Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proof of insurance for a test drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Alberta, scheduled a test drive 4 weeks in advance, and I've had my order in for an M3P for 3 weeks now.

I finally got to go in for my test drive, but just to be sure, before I had called and asked if I needed to bring anything. I was told I would need "my license, and a racing helmet." Which I thought was funny at the time, but after I had gone and was told I could not test drive the car unless I bring proof of insurance, it left a bitter taste in my mouth. That was that.

Now, let's be clear that I am insured, but I am in the process of selling my current car in anticipation for my orders arrival so I haven't been driving it as to not dirty up the detailing & wash in the meantime. This means my insurance information was sitting in the glove box of my car at home, while my sister and I were on our marry way to the Tesla dealership in her car. I had offered to go home and retrieve my insurance information, but was told it was too late, and was sent home.

I'm 20 years old, and I haven't had any problems but after today I felt like I wasn't being taken seriously at all. When I expressed my frustration with the situation, I was told that the Tesla employee "understood that I was excited to test drive a Tesla," as if he couldn't fathom the fact that I was actually interested in checking whether or not I would regret the purchase. I was not displaying emotions of excitement when this was happening, I was very frustrated. Not only that, but I have an order for an M3P, an $80,000 car and all I wanted to do was compare the ride quality (with the stiffer suspension, and apparently worse body roll) to a M3S or M3LR, this isn't me committing a month-long ploy to bum a 30-minute test drive out of Tesla.

I guess besides my rant, I was wondering if its normal for Tesla to require proof of insurance for a test drive, and would like to hear your opinions on whether or not I'm overreacting to the whole situation. I know that I am overwhelmed with frustration, and am honestly considering cancelling my order because I feel disrespected.

I think you have a valid reason to be upset if they didn't tell you beforehand that you'd need proof of insurance. (Although, most major insurance providers have a way for you get this electronically though your phone in the US at least.) If cancelling your order would somehow make you feel less "disrespected", that's on you. Tesla won't care one bit... demand outweighs production so heavily right now that even if your car was already built, it would be snatched up in a heartbeat by someone else.

I don't know if this is a new policy, a policy in Canada but not the US, or a location-specific policy, but the website for US test drives indicates that all you need is a valid driver's license. That being said, I have been asked to provide proof of insurance in the past prior to test driving motorcycles, which are generally "high-risk" vehicles for test drives. (FWIW I was in my late 30s, so it wasn't because of me being a dumb teenager.) This varies wildly by brand and dealer in my experience though... some won't allow test drives at all, some require insurance and some waivers, and Harley will pretty much let anyone test drive with just a license. Dealers for 4-wheeled vehicles here will let you test drive with a license, but generally accompany you on the test drive.

I guess the TL;DR of my post is that I don't think it's unreasonable for them to require it, but it is unreasonable to not inform you beforehand.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I'm in Alberta, scheduled a test drive 4 weeks in advance, and I've had my order in for an M3P for 3 weeks now.

I finally got to go in for my test drive, but just to be sure, before I had called and asked if I needed to bring anything. I was told I would need "my license, and a racing helmet." Which I thought was funny at the time, but after I had gone and was told I could not test drive the car unless I bring proof of insurance, it left a bitter taste in my mouth. That was that.

Now, let's be clear that I am insured, but I am in the process of selling my current car in anticipation for my orders arrival so I haven't been driving it as to not dirty up the detailing & wash in the meantime. This means my insurance information was sitting in the glove box of my car at home, while my sister and I were on our marry way to the Tesla dealership in her car. I had offered to go home and retrieve my insurance information, but was told it was too late, and was sent home.

I'm 20 years old, and I haven't had any problems but after today I felt like I wasn't being taken seriously at all. When I expressed my frustration with the situation, I was told that the Tesla employee "understood that I was excited to test drive a Tesla," as if he couldn't fathom the fact that I was actually interested in checking whether or not I would regret the purchase. I was not displaying emotions of excitement when this was happening, I was very frustrated. Not only that, but I have an order for an M3P, an $80,000 car and all I wanted to do was compare the ride quality (with the stiffer suspension, and apparently worse body roll) to a M3S or M3LR, this isn't me committing a month-long ploy to bum a 30-minute test drive out of Tesla.

I guess besides my rant, I was wondering if its normal for Tesla to require proof of insurance for a test drive, and would like to hear your opinions on whether or not I'm overreacting to the whole situation. I know that I am overwhelmed with frustration, and am honestly considering cancelling my order because I feel disrespected.
I'm also in Alberta right now (Edmonton), and no, they did not ask me for insurance. Just my license.

If cancelling your order would somehow make you feel less "disrespected", that's on you. Tesla won't care one bit.
Yeah, I guess that's fair. I'll refrain from cancelling the order but I still feel... weird handing over the money to buy the car after that experience.

(Although, most major insurance providers have a way for you get this electronically though your phone in the US at least.)
We do have that, but unfortunately I didn't have the login information for the policy I'm on, my father does, and he is overseas at the moment so it was impossible to contact him and ask for the information. It would've taken my 5 seconds to grab my insurance policy before I left the house, but since I was told I wouldn't need it I thought I'd be okay.

I'm also in Alberta right now (Edmonton), and no, they did not ask me for insurance. Just my license.
I've heard similar things from everyone who has test driven in Edmonton, very weird for the Calgary location to ask for it.
Same here, both test drives that I did (Calgary store) they only asked me for my drivers licence, those were several years ago now so maybe things changed. Maybe it is because you were test driving the performance model?
I've gotten into contact with people who have test driven years ago, and recently, and only one person said they were asked for insurance, and the one that was just had to state that she had it, but never had to provide any proof. I had stated multiple times that I had insurance but was still turned away.

I think you have a valid reason to be upset if they didn't tell you beforehand that you'd need proof of insurance.
They did say, when I had gotten there that "the person who scheduled your test drive" would've told me that I needed proof of insurance, wasn't sure if it was an oversight on their part, or if I had missed it, but I wanted to be extra safe due to the wait times on test drives in Calgary so I called in advanced and asked. They said I wouldn't need it. :/

I was asked for proof of insurance for a test drive in Ontario and did not provide any. I was able to go ahead with the test drive, but they did reinforce that I was doing so at my own risk and was responsible for any damages to the vehicle. I wouldn't take it personally.

I went for a test drive in BC and was told outright that there is no insurance coverage for any damage to the vehicle I would be driving. Obviously there would be liability coverage. I have no idea how TESLA can expect people to drive expensive car they unfamiliar with with no “own damage” coverage. I declined to drive the vehicle and found another way to get a test drive. Despite this hassle I bought the vehicle anyways.

Test drivers in BC need to sign this.

Attachments

• 25E0FE99-D181-412D-B0C5-0A3CEEBC81F4.jpeg
    25E0FE99-D181-412D-B0C5-0A3CEEBC81F4.jpeg
    616.7 KB · Views: 343
When I test drove in BC I asked about coverage in the unlikely event I got into an accident and was told it's basic liability only and I'd have to cover any damage and even potentially compensate them for not having the vehicle available to test drive for other customers. The first time I had to fill out the paper form PaulYVR attached, the 2nd time it was all via email and Echosign. It's a bit nerve-wracking but I went with it anyway, and made sure that they had tesla cam recording (which they did).

The first time I did a test drive it was on the 4th avenue location which was terrible, so I did another in North Vancouver which was much better with more space to explore the vehicle. I recommend anyone looking to test drive in BC do the same.

When I test drove in BC I asked about coverage in the unlikely event I got into an accident and was told it's basic liability only and I'd have to cover any damage and even potentially compensate them for not having the vehicle available to test drive for other customers. The first time I had to fill out the paper form PaulYVR attached, the 2nd time it was all via email and Echosign. It's a bit nerve-wracking but I went with it anyway, and made sure that they had tesla cam recording (which they did).

The first time I did a test drive it was on the 4th avenue location which was terrible, so I did another in North Vancouver which was much better with more space to explore the vehicle. I recommend anyone looking to test drive in BC do the same.
Wow. I did test drive in Langley and I thought cars should be insured. Next time I have to read papers as I do every time, but not for tesla test drive :(

Wow. I did test drive in Langley and I thought cars should be insured. Next time I have to read papers as I do every time, but not for tesla test drive :(

Yea, I specifically asked because none of the paperwork mentioned in detail what was or was not covered. All that's mentioned is:

You will be responsible for any losses that result from a breach of the terms of this Agreement and any damage sustained by the vehicle while in your possession.

I think they said it had ICBC's minimum $250,000 and that's it.