Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proof of tire wear benefits of accurate alignment and rear camber

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are the original camber links that they pulled off, I forgot to snap a picture of the new ones - they are beautiful with an engraved BBC logo and the phone number...

Tesla P85+ rear camber links BBC.JPG

They removed the diffuser to get access. It's quite easy to do.

Not the defuser which is at the back, right? You mean this, right?

hez6-2CbgBigZB7CaNTaYw5x64ikCfNuwyGaux8fn0g-7e6mL0__5YB3mcSZ1F8EUh5ZsbTrSUFTJCHYs50twLM5Jy9z3lMaY-1UbzY4ZMJuGEhBp-HASSfYyj4wq51ijqLP2BIEC5WfGfW9kjR4G7PHPhucYuP1fNIWjrfO0xj8NJ115mpmR3bm0TaBXe6QC8HBDSpX3RvNXKAcM7ihflzreSAwasGg1B4yWQdWpo969eHj0JDf-QXkTSP-pfZ7Qd5LG6Luwx4bZaCcqAIIO0eWQOxnC7Btnth6h4f2mXD-X-75W6-VElfJ1iMSAiUFxJCj-l5_cwTHMOEKzWC_MPPOmQGHXJKKur6GO81f_vtPjKhU0JTClpQKZNtfvV_esSthkrBjqw6JjlFc7nQqwLJROvlGWfmP7MuCsGAukcLgXdOO_avA0gomMnLVurPT5F4xWqHKTL02d48oKzFYzLZ9q-sK2tT-0AaX55lVuTUu_4rFCO_2wzkJzGmLme_25c7XVwY0SsGbptF_P62AivGmcjU8SmRmJdhnxLjnLedIPDTdvlRXcMJkyeZB8zb2bLIIYPe2su7VTMwClszzRQ1kNybhdoCxKAtUyfUwxCRgV9tFIXSh=w2528-h1422-no

BTW, I don't let Firestone put this back on. They mixed up the anchor screws with the machine screws and I had to use a threader to clean out two of that machine holes. So now I just put it back on myself when I get home.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam

I guess the shop i took it to wasnt bright enough to do it. I told him to remove it, but he said he wouldn't have the proper clearance for a big wrench to adjust the 1 1/8" bolt for camber from BBC. I even bought a stubby wrench for him to use. He actually lifted the rear, removed the wheel, adjusted and put it back on. I'm always worried about how the car settles after it sits back down. It was supposed to be a high end custom alignment shop that does alot of aftermarket camber kits for Porsche's, GTR's, etc...,Paid an arm and leg for the alignment. Which ones did you guys take it to? A local shop or one of those large franchises like FireStone, Wheelworks type of shops?

Not the defuser which is at the back, right? You mean this, right?

hez6-2CbgBigZB7CaNTaYw5x64ikCfNuwyGaux8fn0g-7e6mL0__5YB3mcSZ1F8EUh5ZsbTrSUFTJCHYs50twLM5Jy9z3lMaY-1UbzY4ZMJuGEhBp-HASSfYyj4wq51ijqLP2BIEC5WfGfW9kjR4G7PHPhucYuP1fNIWjrfO0xj8NJ115mpmR3bm0TaBXe6QC8HBDSpX3RvNXKAcM7ihflzreSAwasGg1B4yWQdWpo969eHj0JDf-QXkTSP-pfZ7Qd5LG6Luwx4bZaCcqAIIO0eWQOxnC7Btnth6h4f2mXD-X-75W6-VElfJ1iMSAiUFxJCj-l5_cwTHMOEKzWC_MPPOmQGHXJKKur6GO81f_vtPjKhU0JTClpQKZNtfvV_esSthkrBjqw6JjlFc7nQqwLJROvlGWfmP7MuCsGAukcLgXdOO_avA0gomMnLVurPT5F4xWqHKTL02d48oKzFYzLZ9q-sK2tT-0AaX55lVuTUu_4rFCO_2wzkJzGmLme_25c7XVwY0SsGbptF_P62AivGmcjU8SmRmJdhnxLjnLedIPDTdvlRXcMJkyeZB8zb2bLIIYPe2su7VTMwClszzRQ1kNybhdoCxKAtUyfUwxCRgV9tFIXSh=w2528-h1422-no

BTW, I don't let Firestone put this back on. They mixed up the anchor screws with the machine screws and I had to use a threader to clean out two of that machine holes. So now I just put it back on myself when I get home.

That's it. Hard to mess reinstallation up if they keep track of which screws go where -- a basic organizing principle of auto service:)

That's it. Hard to mess reinstallation up if they keep track of which screws go where -- a basic organizing principle of auto service:)

Plus they completely screwed up the alignment and I had to goto another shop in the franchise(wheelworks in this case) to have them do the alignment. Even they did it with the steering wheel at an angle.

This was a third shop (another firestone down the street) and they seemed to have nailed it this time.

BTW, if even tesla screwed this up once. After they removed this rear cowl to fix my DU leak, they apparently lost a clip for one of the anchor screws. They used one of those push pin clips instead(the longer one at the front that is in another whole normally) but it was too long to secure the cowl flush at that point. I know it was them because I had just put it back on after inspecting for the DU and finding the second drive unit leak. But at least they didn't screw one clip screws into machine screw holes.

I just had my tires changed at costco. Took video and photos of the wheels and rim edges in case they scratched them. I brought my home made wood lift pads that secure into the pad holes and Costco had me align the lift arms under the pads. If I didn't do this, my battery would be dented for sure because nobody will get right.

Bottom line is I don't trust anyone any more. I must really bug the alignment and tire places because rather than sit in the waiting areas, I stand wherever I can watch the car even if that means standing for two hours. My wife claims I have Aspergers. I think I'm just OCD instead:rolleyes:

I guess the shop i took it to wasnt bright enough to do it. I told him to remove it, but he said he wouldn't have the proper clearance for a big wrench to adjust the 1 1/8" bolt for camber from BBC. I even bought a stubby wrench for him to use. He actually lifted the rear, removed the wheel, adjusted and put it back on. I'm always worried about how the car settles after it sits back down. It was supposed to be a high end custom alignment shop that does alot of aftermarket camber kits for Porsche's, GTR's, etc...,Paid an arm and leg for the alignment. Which ones did you guys take it to? A local shop or one of those large franchises like FireStone, Wheelworks type of shops?

Where did you go?

Where did you go?

I went to 2 shops. One was in Fremont - Auto Innovations. He wouldn't touch my car cuz he was afraid of opening a can of worms and the camber bolt wasnt very easily accessible. He was originally going to charge $150. He then referred me to Custom Alignments in Mountain View. They are even more expensive. Since it was aftermarket, they charge a minimum 2 hour alignment. ($150/hr). It took them 3 hours to align it. Granted, they have great service and they aligned it EXACTLY to the specs I wanted, but it was not cheap. Next time, I will remove the under belly guard to access the bolts more easily and hopefully, they won't charge me as much.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
I went to 2 shops. One was in Fremont - Auto Innovations. He wouldn't touch my car cuz he was afraid of opening a can of worms and the camber bolt wasnt very easily accessible. He was originally going to charge $150. He then referred me to Custom Alignments in Mountain View. They are even more expensive. Since it was aftermarket, they charge a minimum 2 hour alignment. ($150/hr). It took them 3 hours to align it. Granted, they have great service and they aligned it EXACTLY to the specs I wanted, but it was not cheap. Next time, I will remove the under belly guard to access the bolts more easily and hopefully, they won't charge me as much.

That's one of the costs of living in California. You guys pay through the nose for routine stuff. My cost was $110.00 for installation of the links and an alignment. But then again you have better weather:)

Thanks. I suspected you would say Custom Alignment. Joe has done excellent work on our Superformance Cobra. I would trust him with any of our cars. It is a shame he is an hour's drive from my house... (Ah, first world problems...). Thanks again.