Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proper way to format USB thumb drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this answered elsewhere. Is there a proper way to format USB thumb drives for use in the Model S? I ask because I had a thumb drive formatted on a Mac that I threw some music files on, but when I plugged it in it wasn't recognized. I then formatted a second drive FAT, and that one mounted just fine.

Thanks --

Hi Lee. Glad to see you here.

This one took me a while to get right, but format the drive as MS-DOS (FAT) on the Mac and it will do just fine. Playing over bluetooth works quite well too, and can even play songs from the cloud via your iPhone.

I copied a bunch of songs directly from iTunes on my Mac to a new SanDisk 32GB USB stick. Created a couple of folders and everything works just fine. Except, as near as I can tell, there is no way to randomize the playing of the songs. So every time, it starts with the "A" song or the "A" singer, etc. This won't work. May have just blown $35. And, yes, I can play from my iPhone/iPad and have it "Shuffle." But no browsing on Tesla app, just on the phone/iPad screen.

With all the comments about the Tesla "S" being the Apple of automobiles, this is certainly a slow start. Assume, one day, they'll make the App useable.

I copied my "Music" folder (that iTunes uses as its library). Those mostly are .m4a files that have cover art, album, artist, etc. plus MP3 versions of each song. [DRM copy protection is a separate issue addressed in other threads].

In short, copying my entire 'Music" directory with sub folders to a 32GB drive works GREAT. You can browse (with 4.0 sw) by album, artist, folder, etc.

Yes there are no shuffle and and playlist options yet, but at least alphabetical by Genre is enough randomness to keep me sort of surprised for now....

Last edited:
Interesting. I didn't see that in the dropdown list. What size is your USB key? Theoretically, FAT32 has a maximum volume size of 32GB. If that's really true then I don't see how it would be possible to use a USB key larger than that. I hope I'm missing something.

Interesting. I didn't see that in the dropdown list. What size is your USB key? Theoretically, FAT32 has a maximum volume size of 32GB. If that's really true then I don't see how it would be possible to use a USB key larger than that. I hope I'm missing something.

Theoretically FAT32 can address up to 2 TB. Just need a better disk utility to do the formatting besides the native Windows options (which is limited to 32GB).

Theoretically FAT32 can address up to 2 TB. Just need a better disk utility to do the formatting besides the native Windows options (which is limited to 32GB).
Pretty sure my 64 GB formatted FAT32 just fine, and I only have Windows machines at home. Interesting. Maybe I did it on my Server box or something.

Working configuration for 64GB flash drive

I realize that this is an old thread, but I thought I would add my experience. I picked up a tiny 64GB usb drive which is actually a combination of a USB "container" and a 64GB MicroSD card (links are to Amazon). I've tried several different formats before I found one that works. By default Windows will format this as exFAT, not NTFS and not FAT32. In my tests the car did not recognize exFAT or NTFS. It does recognize FAT32. The problem is that by default Windows will not give you an option to format a drive as FAT32 if it is larger than 32GB. My music library is bigger than 32GB so I needed another option.

Fortunately, the Mac will format it that way and it can also be done from the DOS prompt or other downloadable utilities in Windows. Once I formatted as FAT32 the Model S immediately recognized the flash drive and played music from it. I just copied a few albums worth of music onto it for the test. Now I'm moving over my whole library.

FlashDriveParts.png