Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Properly disconnecting from chargepoint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I-drive-my

2022 Model Y LR
Aug 24, 2021
Seattle
Received my Model Y back in Dec and recently saw a few L2 Chargepoint chargers nearby. Decided to try - they work when I first insert the adapter that Tesla gave me.
The problem starts when I walk away for some time and come back to disconnect:

1. Car is locked - I come closer - car unlocks.
  2. Chargeport is opened and car is charging - I disconnect the ChargePoint charger (but adapter is still inserted since I can't pull out both - tesla blocks the adapter inside)
  3. Tesla charging port attempts to close and gets stuck because the adapter is still inserted.
  4. I have to manually pull up the chargeport cover and remove the adapter
  5. On top of that sometimes car autlocks and this becomes even messier lol

So my question - is there an easy way to normally remove the charging cable and adapter without all the hassle with the charging port? I feel I'm doing smth wrong obviously but it's hardly intuitive..

Reactions: smithrukami
To remove both (the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter and the Chargepoint charging connector) from the Tesla Model Y's charge port you need to press and release the trigger button on the Chargepoint connector. The Tesla charge port light will change from Green (if the Tesla was still charging) or Blue (if finished charging) to White (unlocked). When the light on the Tesla Model Y's charge port is white you should be able to pull the adapter from the charge port still connected to the Chargepoint connector. (Don't forget to take the Tesla adapter off of the Chargepoint charging connector.)

Last edited:
As long as you have your phone or your keyfob the charger should unlock with the car. When you walk up push the button on the Chargepoint cable until the green light turns white, this, like Tesla cables will stop the charging. Once it turns white, instead of pulling the Chargepoint cable out, put your hand on the adapter, both the adapter and the cable will come out together. Then remove the adapter from the cable.

To remove both (the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter and the Chargepoint charging connector) from the Tesla Model Y's charge port you need to press and release the trigger button on the Chargepoint connector. The Tesla charge port light will change from Green (if the Tesla was still charging) or Blue (if finished charging) to White (unlocked). When the light on the Tesla Model Y's charge port is white you should be able to pull the adapter from the charge port still connected to the Chargepoint connector. (Don't forget to take the Tesla adapter off of the Chargepoint charging connector.)
This. It’s tricky the first couple times, but you can do it one handed easily. Tap the button on charger handle, don’t pull, car unlocks, port goes blue-white, rengage the charger handle by letting the lever lock to the adapter and then pull. You’ll pull the handle and adapter in one. Otherwise just use 2 hands and pull adapter charger at same time. If this is public charger be careful not to leave it, but I leave the adapter in my home ChargePoint charger all the time.

Ooh I think it makes sense! Thank you so much I’ll try and write back if it worked!

Thanks everyone for advice. I did try using the app but it’s too much effort for me :) was looking for some hardware solution!

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I’ve always used two hands. Push button on charge handle wait for the charging process to stop (2 seconds). Then pull the charge cable and immediately pull the adapter out with my other hand. Only done this about 12 times but simple enough. There may be more effective and efficient ways to do it, but this works well enough for me.

Reactions: I-drive-my
There may be more effective and efficient ways to do it, but this works well enough for me.
Yes but if you are not quick about removing the J1772 adapter the Tesla Model Y will start to close the charge port cover. The cover will be blocked by the adapter. Long term this would not be good for the mechanism. The better way is to unlock the charge port (so the charge port light turns white), then pull out the charging connector (don't hold down the trigger button). You can unlock the charge port from the Charging Screen or from the Tesla app. The hands on method of unlocking the charging port is to squeeze and release the trigger on the charging connector. The light on the charge port should turn white, the you can pull out both the charging connector and the adapter using just one hand.

Last edited:
Yes but if you are not quick about removing the J1772 adapter the Tesla Model Y will start to close the charge port cover. The cover will be blocked by the adapter. Long term this would not be good for the mechanism.
Agreed. This is why I said immediately. I did learn that the door closes quickly and the first time it closed on the adapter (I don't know why, the tesla should detect this is still inserted). It only took me one time to learn that this needs to happen quickly (within 1/2 of a second), but next time I'll try your approach - seems easier. 👍

I wish there was an auto unlock charge port when the car is unlocked or even disable the lock altogether when you're home. I park in a secure garage with a hardwired chargepoint wall charger. It would be nice to be able to pull the cable out when it's done charging instead of fumbling with my phone or getting in the car. I've ordered some RFID stickers for now and will set up some phone automation but still I think there needs to be more options. Some times I'm just standing there waiting for my phone to connect to the car so I can remove the cable. Gas doors have been this way for years they unlock when the car is unlocked. Heck even it it unlocks when I open the trunk that would be nice. Since I'm putting my bag in there anyway.

I'm a dummy looks like if I give the chargepoint button a quick press then release so it holds on to the adapter I can remove them both in one shot. Much better than fumbling around with the app. I also didn't want to keep remove the adapter from the end so this works great. I printed a holder that holds the cable with the adapter in place.

1648327490880.png

Reactions: alexcue
Is your chargepoint a level 2 and I am wondering which adapter CHadMO? I am wondering because I have an S but the chargepoint level 2 charger in Steamboat CO is the above and I don't think I have that adapter in my case? Any idea?

As an op just wanted to say thank you to everyone in this thread - proposed method of quick press on the charging part+ adapter > wait till T logo turns white > pull out adapter + part works!
I agree. I've been doing this (now that I'm commuting to work again) and this method works great. No urgency to remove the J1772 adapter.

As an aside I have noticed that the charge port door seems to stay open for a good 5 seconds now when I remove the charger. So they may have added a delay to allow time to remove the adapter if you didn't use this technique. I still think they should be able to detect the adapter and wait for it to be removed before closing the charge port. Also prevent someone driving if the adapter is still inserted. Just common sense.

Reactions: I-drive-my