Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Properly Removing 1.5 PEM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No sure about properly but 2 6" pieces of 2x4 with a 1.5" x 1.5" section out of one end is very helpful in propping it up to get at the connectors. Not a lot of room to get in there and you likely need help to lift it out and back in.

I need to clean my PEM. The connections are not labeled nor is the procedure published that I can find and Tesla will never publish a maintenance manual. It would be good to get people that have done this before to talk about the steps involved.

There's a sticky thread on the main page that discusses the step-by-step procedure for a 2.5 PEM, but I know there are significant differences between the 1.5 and 2.5 PEMs.

DIY: Roadster 2.5 PEM cleaning - step by step

This is something that, if you don't know EXACTLY what you're doing, you shouldn't even try.

You get one thing wrong and, if you're lucky, you'll only ruin a multi-thousand-dollar part. If you're unlucky, you'll kill yourself (and maybe your helper friend, too).

Yes, you're correct...Tesla does not publish a service manual, nor do they spell out the steps needed to do this safely. And yes, that sucks. But don't "guess" on this one.

I need to clean my PEM. The connections are not labeled nor is the procedure published that I can find and Tesla will never publish a maintenance manual.

I can appreciate that. But considering that you are dealing with a high voltage situation, where a mistake could potentially kill you (or as @Habilus points out, damage the PEM), it doesn't seem worth the risk to me just to save money.
I am not saying that the Tesla service cost is trivial. It is not. I am saying that the potential downside is extremely serious.
I realize that some Roadster owners have successfully done what you are trying to do.

There's a sticky thread on the main page that discusses the step-by-step procedure for a 2.5 PEM, but I know there are significant differences between the 1.5 and 2.5 PEMs.

DIY: Roadster 2.5 PEM cleaning - step by step

This is something that, if you don't know EXACTLY what you're doing, you shouldn't even try.

You get one thing wrong and, if you're lucky, you'll only ruin a multi-thousand-dollar part. If you're unlucky, you'll kill yourself (and maybe your helper friend, too).

Yes, you're correct...Tesla does not publish a service manual, nor do they spell out the steps needed to do this safely. And yes, that sucks. But don't "guess" on this one.

The 2.5 PEM was designed for maintenance and service. The 1.5 PEM is nothing like that. It has fewer connectors and the ones it does have are much higher quality designed for hot disconnect. NOT saying a hot disconnect should be performed because I am sure the PEM was not designed for it.

I need to identify the 12volt supply and the proper shutdown menu to select. Once the PEM is shut down it is safe to remove. At the end of the day, this is a car, it should be serviceable by anyone with very basic information.

This is information that needs to be out there.

Last edited:
Removing the twist-loc connector on the right front of the PEM disconnects the power (the orange cable to the ESS). You don't have to worry about any high voltage, as long as the car is off and not charging. There are contractors on both the positive and negative inside the ESS. Both would have to be shorted at the same time to allow any high voltage outside of the ESS. Once that connector is disconnected, you can unhook the rest. Connect it last when you reinstall.

I have done it myself without any issue. The high voltage risk is easily mitigated. The bigger risk is manhandling a 110 lb PEM without help. I may have time Sunday to give more detail but I have posted some pictures and comments in the PEM cleaning thread