Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[proposed] Class action lawsuit against tesla - door handles unreliable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had driver's door handle replaced this morning. Bought the car used and out of warranty in Aug. 2015, but I was told that the four handles were replaced in Feb. 2015, with a 1-year warranty, i.e., ending one month ago, as per Murphy's law! In these circumstances, they offered that I pay for the labor (1.5 h), and they provided the part on goodwill basis (>1000$CAN) and without further warranty.

So I'm happy for now. But still, these are 2nd generation handles, and it's the second time one of them fails, so I knew this was an issue with Model S, but I'm getting a little bit more nervous. On the other hand, if this is the only issue not covered by the "infinite miles warranty", I can live with it. My old Toyota Sienna had 1-2k$ of repairs each year at the same milage, including the replacement of the steering wheel column with a price tag of ~2k$, and they refused to negotiate, despite the safety side of things.

Then, I was told by the salesperson when I bought the car that one of the things Tesla values a lot is it's reputation. It would be a nice move, I think, if Tesla recognized some "underperformance beyond wearing" and offers the repair at a reasonable price if it happens repetitively on the same cars (e.g. you pay the first replacement in full, the second half-price, and the others are free or you just pay for the labor, up to a certain time, something like that.)

In three years there has been one pro-active handle replacement (all four proactively replaced at the same time, on was sticking). This happened towards the end of year one. No problems since and not much of one before. I suspect that is the case for most owners.

I like how the reliability issues with the door handles & also plausibly this thread lead to the model X and possibly also future designs having just capacitive touch door handles instead... and/or the whole friggen door presenting itself.

I like how the reliability issues with the door handles & also plausibly this thread lead to the model X and possibly also future designs having just capacitive touch door handles instead... and/or the whole friggen door presenting itself.

For what it's worth, Model X doors are not capacitive touch. It requires you push the handle about 1/4" in.

I'd join. Still under warranty, and have gone through at least 10 or maybe 12 replacements.
Barely used, since 99% of the time, it's only the driver's door even used.
I'd be happy to just replace them with normal car door handles.

two stopped working within a month, they replaced all 4.
Since then I can recall at least another 3 or 4, so that's 7.

If one breaks out of warranty, I'll pull all my invoices. They are needlessly complicated and prone to breaking for no reason.
Yesterday the driver one didn't pop out when the door was open. So.. give it a week and I'm sure it will fail.

two stopped working within a month, they replaced all 4.
Since then I can recall at least another 3 or 4, so that's 7.

If one breaks out of warranty, I'll pull all my invoices. They are needlessly complicated and prone to breaking for no reason.
Yesterday the driver one didn't pop out when the door was open. So.. give it a week and I'm sure it will fail.

They should get a SpaceX engineer to redesign it to be super fault tolerant :) This is and the MCU data partition wear are two of my biggest concerns as the vehicle ages.

$20 door handle with no breaking parts.

Attachments

• DH-68515inst5.jpg
    DH-68515inst5.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 79
I think I had 7 on a 2014 and 4 on the current 2016.....

They would have SAVED a bunch of money by designing a robust mechanism and retrofitting all cars.

No upset customers and no endless repairs and parts for warranty repairs.

Wonder if by 2017 they made the mechanism robust enough to not fail so often.

I guess we have been lucky with no failures but our car is pampered and lives in a heated garage most of the time and we barely drive 8,000 miles a year.