TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Proposed legislation to introduce new $250 per month benefit to people commuting in electric vehicle

Discussion in 'Model S' started by NYEVDriver, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

The way I read the bill (last week) was that it's for Ohio residents only, no?

2. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

$250 per month for electric charging benefits. Mmm. That would be 2500 kWh per month in most places - which works out to be about 110kWh per workday.

Great for people with a 350 mile a day commute I suppose...

3. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

He is a U.S. Senator. Don't think he can propose legislation that only affects Ohio.

4. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

I say NO to more legislation....then again this is Ohio....knock yourselves out.

5. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

The senator proposing the legislation is from Ohio, but the proposed legislation is a change to the US tax code. It would permit employers to provide electric charging benefits to their employees on a pretax basis similar to how they can currently provide mass transit and parking benefits on a pretax basis.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

This wouldn't be free money. The proposed law would allow paying for EV charging pre-tax. From the article:

Employers would be able to give up to $250 per month in electric charging benefits without employees being taxed, making their benefit packages more competitive.​

I've used similar programs to pay for monthly train passes. It's unclear if this would help drivers who charge at home. But it would be good for those who can't charge at home, and it might encourage workplaces to install more EV charging.

7. democappy

democappy Member

My interpretation is this only helps for charging at public/private chargers that have a cost. For example, it doesn't help those charging at home. It also doesn't help people like me who charge for free at work (no help needed, its free). I assume most companies that build chargers for their employees just make the charger free in the first place to avoid this worry. However, if I am parking at a private garage that has a charger, this would give the ability to have them reimburse for that tax free.

Does that match the understanding of others?

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

It is an outstanding idea. I've been disappointed in the rate that workplaces are installing chargers; this could change that dynamic a LOT if the employers (and by extension, employees) can amortize and deduct the installation costs.

The actual 'cost' in tax collections would be up to 250*marginal_tax_rate

9. David99

David99 Active Member

work place charger are one thing that needs to grow significantly to make the change to EV possible. The majority of people commute to work with their cars.

10. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

Work place chargers are one way employers could take advantage of this, but they could also do things like letting you buy credit on a public charging network like ChargePoint using pretax dollars or even let you install a home charging solution and pay for it with pretax dollars (that might be a little trickier depending on how the legislation is drafted).

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

A work-place charger has a lot more potential to be utilized by multiple cars, thereby spreading out the installation cost. It just makes so much sense.

My workplace is 45 miles (one way) from home. I contract out to a government entity that lives up to claims of being retarded but an installed charger would e.g. let me buy a Prius Prime for $28k before tax credits ($17.5k after Federal and Colorado credit) and reduce my work related fossil fuel consumption by 2/3rds. In conjunction with home charging my total family vehicle related fossil fuel consumption would then drop to 65 gallons a year to cover 16,7000 miles.

Fwiw, I've decided to buy the MS regardless for safety reasons and to support Tesla but the economics of mitigating climate change are ***so*** much in favor of small(ish) battery EVs and destination charging that the question is a no-brainer.

• Like x 1
  12. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

For those keeping track, this works out to a ~ 95% reduction in transport related petrol use compared to the two-person American household average, and would require 375 watts of PV in my locale to offset the residual petroleum combustion.

13. RWcarbon

RWcarbon Vendor

I'm not quite sure where this applies, but nonetheless a GREAT idea. So many people would be inclined to drive electric vehicles.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Right now where I work charges $0.61/kWh compared to $0.093 (or less) at home. It can't be a benefit (according to HR) because it would then be taxable and there would have to be an accounting system set up. Needless to say, i haven't signed up (you have to register to be able to use it--even though it's just Charge Point) and don't intend to. This legislation would sure help those who have charging whore cars.