Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proposed Model 3 concept 'clay' model (unofficial)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting look. Do we know if it is planned to be FWD, RWD or AWD? Also, is the charging port slated to go up front or in the rear like the Model S?

We know nothing really. Just comments about it being 20% smaller than the Model S and will have a range of at least 200 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting look. Do we know if it is planned to be FWD, RWD or AWD? Also, is the charging port slated to go up front or in the rear like the Model S?

We know nothing really. Just comments about it being 20% smaller than the Model S and will have a range of at least 200 miles.

Hello everyone. Thanks for the nice and generally constructive comments - much appreciated.

I was certainly stressed about posting it but after 6 weeks of work I felt I had to bite the bullet (and take any flak).

At least I can hide far away in South Africa! Have been traveling hence the silence.

Wrt the Prius - I have looking at them carefully and understand why people don't admire the design even though the 'fundamentals' are there - short nose; high tail; Kamm back; glazed rear panel. But to me it looks 'clumsy' - slabby sides; small wheels; too wedgy; messy detailing; too tall and narrow rear etc.

i understand the discomfort with the cab forward look BUT it works so well that we need to learn to love it or a major EV benefit will be wasted. I don't have time now but I would like to respond to the many valid points.

Sometime soon but please keep the comments flowing. In the meantime are there any designers/graphic artists who can come up with an iconic Tesla Face which is not a faux grille! My attempt was very basic but tried to use the Tesla Logo and a simple face to give width and strength to the nose. It is clearly a critical element for Tesla. Going forward.

thanks.

It lacks detailing; swage
lines; creases; and final scalloping shapes to make it all hang
together and have the wow-factor. In essence, this model is a
conceptual design showing the architecture and the general basic
shape. But it is an accurate and realisitic design - dimension-wise
it is workable so not a big compromise.

You have obviously put a great deal of thought and effort into this project, so thank you for that. You have serious skills.

Unfortunately, without the detailing, I'm having trouble getting past the impression that, like a Tibetan Mastiff puppy, there are bits that need growing into. Or that the "sweet" (like candy) front end is at odds with the "fierce" rear. I appreciate your thought process and like many of the design elements, but they don't "hang together" well enough for me to get past "awwww, cute puppy!". I wouldn't mind seeing it on the road as is, but I wouldn't want to own one (I prefer to drive svelte, snarly tigers).

I *get* that the aero wheels in silver allow us to readily see the pepper pot detail, but I'd LOVE to see them darker (charcoal).

Finally there is the option of disc/aero wheels with pepper pot
holes for brake cooling – and as a nod to the old XJ-12 and
enclosed rear wheels – as a tribute to the Citroen DS and because
drag is so important with an EV. As the design has such a short rear
overhang and long wheelbase, this shape lends itself to enclosed rear
wheels – personally I think it looks great!
View attachment 56366

If you plan to add the detailing, I would love to see the next iteration......

Happy Thursday!

Looks like Saleen stole your rear lower fins idea for their modified MS (which was nothing much other than some $50k plus aesthetic changes with no mods to battery pack, motor, or inverter.....lame!!!):

ryqunuva.jpg

Small gap in traveling in the UK so a quick response.

Been studying the various cars here not available sin S Africa - interesting and some useful ideas.

Can't wait to get back to my model for a Mk2 version! I agree that the nose can slope less aggressively - I also want to refine the nose design and add a bit of 'attitude'. I'd like some Tesla face suggestions......

The diffuser at the rear has been 'maxed out' for effect but I will soften it - not to as minimal as the Saleen though! With a bit of wind tunnel work that diffuser will work very effectively and make the car unique and unmistakeable.

AudubunB- the model was built on an accurate model skateboard so is dimensionally accurate. The frunk will be virtually as big as a MS - just with a smaller hood.

Tasdevil - I built a 3-wheeler around a Suzuki GLX-1100 years ago so will post a photo when back home.

Although the back has echoes of the 1980's Honda CRX, I have no problem with a clean, simple, 'classic' design at the back. Indeed the more I look around, the more I like my design (beauty in the eye of the beholder/creator!).

I am also happy with the side view but will detail some more. Anyway thanks for all the input.

Maybe I should tackle a 1/3 scale version - I could electrify it!!

Very cool bit of work.

I agree with some that it has a bit of Prius in the front, but the area around the rear passenger doors is all Tesla.

Two things stand out that make it a little more difficult to picture a final car: (1) there are no side view mirrors, and (2) the B pillar is non-existent or very hard to see here. And while Tesla does keep the B pillar low key, I think it provides a certain definition between front and rear cabins.

Also, the shorter front hood area may be just a bit too short vis-a-vis the lines of the cabin.

Overall, this is a nice try. The overall shape of the car reminds me strongly of the original Dodge Stratus, only slammed and cleaned up a bit. The front end looks a bit like a Citroën or Peugeot to me... The rear end of the car seems inspired by European prototype race cars.
Dodge Stratus 001.jpg

Dodge Stratus 002.jpg

I also want to refine the nose design and add a bit of 'attitude'. I'd like some Tesla face suggestions......

My nose suggestion would be something between the current model S and the roadster front, to keep the tesla family look. but somehow loose the black grill.

Also for the back side view flow of the car is great, but looking at it from back on it looks a bit flat, maybe give the bumper and trunk lip a curve?

My 2c, hope it twigs some good ideas for you.

Back home and already laboring away on the Mk2 version - thanks for the input. Look I know that Tesla are most probably not interested but I'm enjoying it as a creative challenge.

Tasdevil - here is the three wheeler sports car I built (same build process!) 25 years ago..........

Deltoid side view2 1995.jpg

Deltoid - high view.jpg

Wedding with Deltoid - 1996.JPG

Nothing to do with Tesla - just some fun .........By the way it was supposed to have a sliding fighter jet -style canopy!!

Thank you so much for posting. I agree you are brave. I would be glad to buy your Model III design. I like about 98% of what you have done, which is about the same percent I like the Model S. I would only like you to change the headlamp design.
Thank you so much.

Hello tdelta1000 - thank you very much for that comment! I've been looking at my model over time and wanting to change a few things (which ironically would have pushed it closer to the reveal M3)........

I would still like a higher rear deck to get more trunk space and 'balance' the look - and I still love the 'over-the-top' diffuser! Hey Tesla can still do that for the top models....

I actually had a very plain nose originally but decided that it would meet with TMC abuse!!

But the principles - Tesla window shape; short overhangs; long wheelbase; BMW 3-series/A4 dimensions; shorter nose; fastback (MS) roof line; slightly taller; haunches etc seemed fairly self-evident.

So I have reserved the first M3 for South Africa - according to the M3 reservation tracker................

(Only fly around is that Elon and I think alike as S Africans?!)

It's obviously a matter of taste, but the rear deck and diffuser were always my least favorite aspects of your design. A lot of people dislike the 3's rear end, but I like it and don't really care for the Camaro-like high deck rear end of your model. Still, great work.