Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proposed Texas Bill to Allow Tesla Sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt Renz

Mar 5, 2013
USA
If you're a Texan, you may want to contact your legislators and governor.

Drive Tesla Canada - today: Texas Bill to Allow Tesla Sales

Excerpt:

The proposed law, House Bill 4379, would recognize EV makers as dealers allowing them to sell cars directly to buyers. The only caveat is the cars in question must never have been sold in Texas before by third-party franchised dealers.

It won’t be an easy road ahead as the Texas Automobile Dealers Association is expected to fight any rule changes, just as they have done before.

Many expect this time to be different considering the automaker is currently spending over $1 billion to construct Giga Texas in Austin, creating over 5,000 jobs in the process.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Thanx for this. I wondered why Elon hadn’t made dealerships part of the bargain when he decided to come to Texas. Having said that, my own experience with buying under the current system was excellent. Tesla once had a law suit asking for dealerships, but withdrew it saying they really didn’t need them.

The dealerships for other makes are going to have Avery hard time transitioning to electric cars.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Not sure how to do a new post but The Senate Transportation Committee is considering a bill to tax EV's $200 per year. Call these folks and object. I think the $100 is fair due to the road maintenance. SB1728.

Call these folks if you object:
Robert NicholschairR
5124630103​
Kel SeligerVICE-CHAIRR
5124630131​
Carol AlvaradoMEMBERSD
5124630106​
César BlancoMEMBERSD
5124630129​
Kelly HancockMEMBERSR
5124630109​
Juan "Chuy" HinojosaMEMBERSD
5124630120​
Lois KolkhorstMEMBERSR
5124630118​
Charles PerryMEMBERSR
5124630128​
Royce WestMEMBERSD
5124630123​

Not sure how to do a new post but The Senate Transportation Committee is considering a bill to tax EV's $200 per year. Call these folks and object. I think the $100 is fair due to the road maintenance. SB1728.

Call these folks if you object:
Robert NicholschairR
5124630103​
Kel SeligerVICE-CHAIRR
5124630131​
Carol AlvaradoMEMBERSD
5124630106​
César BlancoMEMBERSD
5124630129​
Kelly HancockMEMBERSR
5124630109​
Juan "Chuy" HinojosaMEMBERSD
5124630120​
Lois KolkhorstMEMBERSR
5124630118​
Charles PerryMEMBERSR
5124630128​
Royce WestMEMBERSD
5124630123​
If anything, they should send us $200/mo for contributing toward cleaner air.

Reactions: M-S-M
Now that the headquarters are being moved to texas, isn't it odd they can't sell their product in their headquarter state?
Any news here?
If it was going to change, I would have expected some movement on it BEFORE the relocation was announced. Once Tesla has already decided to move their HQ, what incentive is there for the state to do anything for them as Texas is already getting everything it could want. Tesla could have used a potential HQ relocation to lobby the TX legislature for the law to be changed or some other deal to be made that lifted the restrictions for them. But now that the move is fait accompli, they've given away any leverage.

If it was going to change, I would have expected some movement on it BEFORE the relocation was announced. Once Tesla has already decided to move their HQ, what incentive is there for the state to do anything for them as Texas is already getting everything it could want. Tesla could have used a potential HQ relocation to lobby the TX legislature for the law to be changed or some other deal to be made that lifted the restrictions for them. But now that the move is fait accompli, they've given away any leverage.
I can only imagine that the sales are not hurt by the existing ban, but I'm just speculating. They are selling more cars than they can make at this point, so fight this battle at a later time? Perhaps when some of the car dealers go out of business on their own?

The gigafactory has been a boon to SC locations around Austin. They are popping up faster than weeds in the prairie in spring.
1634136043367.png