Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pros and Cons for 22 inch Wheels Vs 20 inch Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upwards of 30%. But It is not so much the wheels, rather it is the tires that suck watts. The 20s are low rolling resistance and very efficient. The 22s are higher performance stickier tires, so definitely NOT low resistance.
Wow. That’s insane... 30%+ range? The car that I’m buying is a 75D and has these 22s... with winter low temps does that mean it’ll be sub 100 miles?

Wow. That’s insane... 30%+ range? The car that I’m buying is a 75D and has these 22s... with winter low temps does that mean it’ll be sub 100 miles?
I'm not sure I agree about the 30% range loss strictly due to the wheels and tires, but I can tell you that I barely see 100 miles if the temp is below 32F (20" wheels). My trips are consistently less than 5 miles, so a ton of energy is wasted just trying to warm up the battery. I've noticed a significant difference in range if its about 55F+ (positive).

SoCal not so much. But in Ontario with 22s, in the winter. Yes, I would expect less than 100 miles from a 75.
I'm not sure I agree about the 30% range loss strictly due to the wheels and tires, but I can tell you that I barely see 100 miles if the temp is below 32F (20" wheels). My trips are consistently less than 5 miles, so a ton of energy is wasted just trying to warm up the battery. I've noticed a significant difference in range if its about 55F+ (positive).
That's pretty useful info. I guess I won't be selling my LR 3 afterall...

That's pretty useful info. I guess I won't be selling my LR 3 afterall...

You can also swap tires. I've taken some pretty detailed notes on consumption with various setups. For reference, I live in an area that has an annual average temperature of 55F. I have an older less efficient 75D and I tow on occasion with my vehicles.

These are my latest figures. Your driving habits may be different; but this gives you a general idea of how they compare based on what my habits are.

20" OEM Wheels and Tires - Annual average of ~377wh/mi (18% less range than rated)
22" OEM Wheels and Tires - Annual average of ~425wh/mi (33% less range than rated)
20" OEM Wheels with Nokian WRG3 - Annual average of ~373wh/mi (17% less range than rated)
22" T-Sportline TSS with Continental DWS06 - Annual average of 382wh/mi (19% less range than rated)

They're all pretty close to each other, aside form the 22" OEM wheels and tires. I wouldn't be surprised to see 22" OEM wheels and Continental DWS06 tires to get about the same range as the 20" setup.

22" OEM Wheels and Tires - Annual average of ~425wh/mi (33% less range than rated)

Sorry to drag this on, but your info is very helpful. Are you saying with an older 75D that occasionally tows in a colder climate than San Diego you were averaging about 160 Mi of estimated range on the 22's with factory Perrelli tires? Again sorry in advance, not trying to be too pedantic here, but want to make sure I am reading what you have posted correctly.

Sorry to drag this on, but your info is very helpful. Are you saying with an older 75D that occasionally tows in a colder climate than San Diego you were averaging about 160 Mi of estimated range on the 22's with factory Perrelli tires? Again sorry in advance, not trying to be too pedantic here, but want to make sure I am reading what you have posted correctly.

I tend to go by wh/mi as my main measuring stick. It's more equivalent to a mpg measure for me; but in essence yes 160 miles in a climate that is significantly colder than San Diego on an older 75D.

Of course, adjust as needed to take into the amount of charge you do; distance to the next charger; battery temp at startup, etc.

75D 2017 X

416 Wh/mile in UK winter in 20s

49493190396_5bc67952bf_c_d.jpg

384Wh/mile in summer on 22s.

48626127143_47d3d8f3a4_c_d.jpg

Overall I would say the 22s are around % less efficient. For me the range isn't an issues here in the UK, BUT the road noise and ride quality was noticeably worse on 22s.

Question for those of you that swap tires. Do you have a tire rack that fit the 22 and 20's? If so can you recommend one?

I have one and I don’t recommend the one I have. Here’s my empty one, purchased from tire rack that I don’t use anymore:
3F194987-9D71-4A55-B9D9-4788A5D48440.jpeg
EB9DD88C-4536-48BA-9859-95EA9A7DFAC7.jpeg

There’s a couple of reasons I don’t recommend them.
- They are pretty pricey to get them to hold 400lbs (preferably 500lbs) of wheels and tires. With air, wheel weights, tires, etc our wheel package is nearly 100lbs each in the 22” variety. And you’d need 2 to handle both sets at the same time.
- The rack is bulky enough that you generally have to put them up high. Which brings me to...our wheels weigh nearly 100lbs each!
- The rack causes some very minor flat spotting. It goes away once mounted and driven on, but overall not great for the tire. This is mostly because our wheels weigh so much...

Otherwise, I’ve previously used those racks with other wheels and cars. But they were usually half the weight.

I’ve since moved to these:
B45D5BBA-3472-4E4B-99E3-276056AE2D56.jpeg
93C24D74-EF48-4B0B-BBF8-872F930F233D.jpeg

They’re much more flat against the wall and allows me more mounting flexibility due to the size and the individual mounts. Oh, they also cost less. They were $40 for a set of 4 vs $130 for the one above, although it looks like they’ve since increased the price.

Wheel Hangers Set - Wall Mount Tire Rack Alternative - Space Saving Wheel Storage for Garage Shed, 4 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SWH2VN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Rt1oEbYJRXCM8

I have one and I don’t recommend the one I have. Here’s my empty one, purchased from tire rack that I don’t use anymore:
View attachment 508305
View attachment 508309

There’s a couple of reasons I don’t recommend them.
- They are pretty pricey to get them to hold 400lbs (preferably 500lbs) of wheels and tires. With air, wheel weights, tires, etc our wheel package is nearly 100lbs each in the 22” variety. And you’d need 2 to handle both sets at the same time.
- The rack is bulky enough that you generally have to put them up high. Which brings me to...our wheels weigh nearly 100lbs each!
- The rack causes some very minor flat spotting. It goes away once mounted and driven on, but overall not great for the tire. This is mostly because our wheels weigh so much...

Otherwise, I’ve previously used those racks with other wheels and cars. But they were usually half the weight.

I’ve since moved to these:
View attachment 508311
View attachment 508312

They’re much more flat against the wall and allows me more mounting flexibility due to the size and the individual mounts. Oh, they also cost less. They were $40 for a set of 4 vs $130 for the one above, although it looks like they’ve since increased the price.

Wheel Hangers Set - Wall Mount Tire Rack Alternative - Space Saving Wheel Storage for Garage Shed, 4 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SWH2VN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Rt1oEbYJRXCM8

Thanks I think I'm going to try the hangers.

Can anybody comment on the ride quality of the 20" vs. 22" onyx wheels with the new air suspension? I only drove a 20" model and it seemed to be very soft (at least in the higher settings), so I can't imagine the 2" difference in wheel size making it really harsh, but it would be great if someone could share their experience.

It's harsher over sharp impacts but otherwise, a surprisingly not-huge penalty in ride quality IMO. I was pleasantly surprised. But it is a little harsher over the those sharp seams and potholes and such. Some people might welcome the "feedback" but on a vehicle like this...eh. I drove them both around in Low and Very Low on the test drive and the difference was more pronounced in Very Low where, on both, it feels like the car is about half an inch from the bumpstops.

The biggest dynamic downside I noticed, and it was pretty bad, was how much harder it seemed like I needed to push on the brake in the 22"-equipped, non-Performance car I drove back to back with the 20"-equipped car. I figured the steering would feel a bit more direct on the 22"-equipped car with the shorter sidewalls but it wasn't really any better, maybe because of the weight, maybe the 20" Contis just had more air in them or stiffer sidewalls than the Goodyears on the 22" car I drove, dunno. 71lb front wheel/tire combo vs. 62-ish, and 77lb vs. 63-ish rear. That's a bigger difference than it sounds. Hell my Tundra's E-code 18", 32" tall wheel/tire combo is lighter than the 22's.

$5500 seems like a lot for wheels that are more vulnerable to road damage, give you less performance in the real-world, and worse efficiency. But they're pretty.

We did a big garage remodel and I got all excited and ordered three of the $75 Amazon tier racks, and they'er fine, better than the Tire Rack tire racks which I don't like either. I have spare sets for all my cars and have racks and hangers in my garage and I prefer the hangers honestly. The racks really aren't that much more space efficient than the hangers, because each rack can't quiiiite fit wheels all the way edge to edge, so there's always dead space and/or somethign crammed in. I'm thinking about selling the three racks I have and switching to all-hangers, all the time. Looks cooler on the wall too, and, in my opinion, it's a more ergonomic on/off when you're heaving around 60+lb at or above head height that matters. The racks do mount more securely, IMO, with some of the weight resting against the wall rather than trying to pull the bolt out of the stud, so, keep an eye on your mountings if yuo're using the hangers with heavy wheels. None of my spares is heavier than about 55lb so it's not a big deal for my use.

It's harsher over sharp impacts but otherwise, a surprisingly not-huge penalty in ride quality IMO. I was pleasantly surprised. But it is a little harsher over the those sharp seams and potholes and such. Some people might welcome the "feedback" but on a vehicle like this...eh. I drove them both around in Low and Very Low on the test drive and the difference was more pronounced in Very Low where, on both, it feels like the car is about half an inch from the bumpstops.

The biggest dynamic downside I noticed, and it was pretty bad, was how much harder it seemed like I needed to push on the brake in the 22"-equipped, non-Performance car I drove back to back with the 20"-equipped car. I figured the steering would feel a bit more direct on the 22"-equipped car with the shorter sidewalls but it wasn't really any better, maybe because of the weight, maybe the 20" Contis just had more air in them or stiffer sidewalls than the Goodyears on the 22" car I drove, dunno. 71lb front wheel/tire combo vs. 62-ish, and 77lb vs. 63-ish rear. That's a bigger difference than it sounds. Hell my Tundra's E-code 18", 32" tall wheel/tire combo is lighter than the 22's.

$5500 seems like a lot for wheels that are more vulnerable to road damage, give you less performance in the real-world, and worse efficiency. But they're pretty.

We did a big garage remodel and I got all excited and ordered three of the $75 Amazon tier racks, and they'er fine, better than the Tire Rack tire racks which I don't like either. I have spare sets for all my cars and have racks and hangers in my garage and I prefer the hangers honestly. The racks really aren't that much more space efficient than the hangers, because each rack can't quiiiite fit wheels all the way edge to edge, so there's always dead space and/or somethign crammed in. I'm thinking about selling the three racks I have and switching to all-hangers, all the time. Looks cooler on the wall too, and, in my opinion, it's a more ergonomic on/off when you're heaving around 60+lb at or above head height that matters. The racks do mount more securely, IMO, with some of the weight resting against the wall rather than trying to pull the bolt out of the stud, so, keep an eye on your mountings if yuo're using the hangers with heavy wheels. None of my spares is heavier than about 55lb so it's not a big deal for my use.

Thanks a lot, that's helpful.

If you say "less performance" you are talking about range, right? Not 0-60 times or similar.

Actually, the price for the 22" is closer to $9k (the c. $3.2k standard wheels are included and you pay a premium of $5.8k for the 22").

It probably accelerates and brakes slightly slower, because the 22's are significantly heavier, and corners slightly harder bceause the tires are slightly bigger in the rear andd less sidewall flex, on the 22's. IT's a big fat bastard it needs all the tire and tire support it can get

In the US the 20's are standard and the 22's are a $5500 upcharge. Most other cars, a bigger wheel/tire option is a couple thousand at most, good for Tesla if they can get people to pay it I guess

It probably accelerates and brakes slightly slower, because the 22's are significantly heavier, and corners slightly harder bceause the tires are slightly bigger in the rear andd less sidewall flex, on the 22's. IT's a big fat bastard it needs all the tire and tire support it can get

Makes sense. Is there any data on 0-60 times with both wheels out there? Not that it would matter much in real world driving but still interested to know.