Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pros and Cons of 5 Seater MX vs new 7 Seater?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
Other than saving $3000, is there a reason to go with a 5 seater MX versus a 7 seater?

With the 7 seater folding flat, you seem to gain a lot more flexibility going now with that option if you wanted a cargo hauling configuration?

Seating for 5 in a 5 seater, and seating for 5 in a 7 seater is about the same?

I have a 5 seater. There is a small amount of additional storage that hides away nicely. It also allows me to use the trunk as a trunk. I don't have to worry about filling it up, only to have several people ask me for a lift later, so I need to move and squeeze things around.

The biggest reason however, when I ordered, I could only get an electric configuration. I didn't want electric rear seats, as I was afraid they would malfunction AND since the do not flatten fully the would prevent me from completely using the rear storage of the SUV for things like large flat screen televisions (for example).

Just to clarify, you're talking about the "false floor" space in front of the "basement" area, i believe? :):D (where the 2 seats would be)
Right. I have that 5 seater, and have never used the the false floor cavity. But have needed to transport 6 people once, and had to do it slightly illegally;). So I'd vote for 7 seater, just for that rare occasion of a full house.

Right. I have that 5 seater, and have never used the the false floor cavity. But have needed to transport 6 people once, and had to do it slightly illegally;). So I'd vote for 7 seater, just for that rare occasion of a full house.
actually looks like a brilliant place to store a gun or two + ammo...for those of us CCW people. :)

or even a spare tire almost.

True, that panel is so not obvious, so no problemo.
If a spare tire (even temporary) could fit down in there, this model would sell like pancakes....:D
Can there be a blow-up rim & tire in the makings....
or the "space-saver" design other makers offer...you see Lexus cars with those all the time. (and no they aren't too heavy, a Lexus is within a few hundred pounds of a Tesla)

I went through this too, I decided going with 5 seat. I looked at the fact as
1) Carry additional weight of 2 seats (Dont know how much more weight ??)
2) Small extra storage space.
3) Easy to cleanup interior ;)
4) $3000 savings :)

Please Note: We are family of 3 , So this situation works perfect for us, We have 2 extra seats in case if needed ..

People need to first look at their individual scenarios and take it from there .

Last edited:
6 seat Monopost is the premier Model X experience for sure.

I was at the Brea Tesla store yesterday and was wondering why they had TWO Model X's on display.

Sure enough.

-6 seat Model X.
-7 seat (new design) Model X.

Watch them come out with a longer Model X with a 150KW battery that has no sacrifices for

-Towing
-Passengers
-Cargo

Heck, throw in a HUD. :D

I went through this too, I decided going with 5 seat. I looked at the fact as
1) Carry additional weight of 2 seats (Dont know how much more weight ??)
2) Small extra storage space.
3) Easy to cleanup interior ;)
4) $3000 savings :)

Please Note: We are family of 3 , So this situation works perfect for us, We have 2 extra seats in case if needed ..

People need to first look at their individual scenarios and take it from there .

A Model S would not have been a better choice just asking honestly? Even cheaper?

A Model S would not have been a better choice just asking honestly? Even cheaper?

Sure, If it were to have more trunk space to haul "Camping Stuff" etc., or room for lie down during breaks ! , capable of Hauling (I understand some folks have modified MS but Its not supported by Tesla) and many more .. Just to name few ..

By the way, I owned MS for 4 1/2 Yrs and just traded for X for this reason.

Sure, If it were to have more trunk space to haul "Camping Stuff" etc., or room for lie down during breaks ! , capable of Hauling (I understand some folks have modified MS but Its not supported by Tesla) and many more .. Just to name few ..

By the way, I owned MS for 4 1/2 Yrs and just traded for X for this reason.

Awesome, just wanted to make sure you were optimizing to the max... tow kit, 100D?

Does anyone got delivered a 7 seater fold flat? experience?
I cannot decide, go for 5 seater, or 7 seater. Im leaning towards 7 seater, but Tesla cannot confirm it will be a fold flat 7seater for Norway.

would you rather have 5 seater fold flat?
or order 7 seater, but you might risk to get monopost seat (fold flat if Tesla decides to ship them to Europe)

One reason I got the new 7-seater (even though we rarely (as in never) carry that many people) was the whole omission of the 'extra' HVAC equipment in the 5-seater. You also don't have all the jigsaw pieces of the floor to deal with. All the extra space (under the floorboards) is a pro or a con, depending on how you look at it, and I definitely wanted the 'whole' HVAC. (And, yes, it's only a USA solution for now, as far as we know!)

Reactions: Bonlaw and Rossy
Does anyone got delivered a 7 seater fold flat? experience?
I cannot decide, go for 5 seater, or 7 seater. Im leaning towards 7 seater, but Tesla cannot confirm it will be a fold flat 7seater for Norway.

would you rather have 5 seater fold flat?
or order 7 seater, but you might risk to get monopost seat (fold flat if Tesla decides to ship them to Europe)
it depends if you want that little bit of extra space in the back where the 3rd row would normally be...