Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pros and Cons of 5 Seater MX vs new 7 Seater?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it would be about extra space where 3rd row is- I would definetly go for 7 seater.

Problem is if I order 7 seater, I might get monopod seats, which doesnt fold flat(2nd row).

Tesla in Norway cannot confirm if it will be fold flat or if it will be mobopod 7 seater..

As I was reading this I am wondering if my car will be fitted with the new folding second row. My order was confirmed on July 27th and is still scheduled for production. It is a UK order, any ideas?

• Helpful
Reactions: crobin
Now its official got mail from Tesla:

New Features for Model S and Model X
Model S and Model X are the quickest and safest cars in their class and now include new standard features at no additional cost. Smart Air Suspension provides better handling, efficiency and ride comfort with automatic location-based vehicle height adjustments. In addition, new Model S and Model X 75 kWh vehicles received an over-the-air software update and now have improved performance, with the ability to accelerate from zero to 60 mph one second faster. We are also offering a new cream interior color.
Model X is now available in a new seven-seat configuration, with second and third row seats that fold flat for maximum cargo space.

When thinking about the cargo space, keep in mind that more height is available in the 5-seater when you remove the load floor. With the floor in place, you are limited to about 25 inches of height at the lowest point. Removing the load floor gives you much more height. I believe it's about 8 inches which is a significant percentage compared to the 25 inches. Should you buy a car because you might carry a new TV or tall box just a few times over the lifetime of the vehicle? Probably not, but the Model X has significantly less height available for cargo than most SUV's due to several inches of structure in the FWDs. Sitting in the 2nd row doesn't feel quite so cramped due to the glass in the top of the FWD, but a big box (or dog crate) cannot take advantage of that.

Now its official got mail from Tesla:

New Features for Model S and Model X
Model S and Model X are the quickest and safest cars in their class and now include new standard features at no additional cost. Smart Air Suspension provides better handling, efficiency and ride comfort with automatic location-based vehicle height adjustments. In addition, new Model S and Model X 75 kWh vehicles received an over-the-air software update and now have improved performance, with the ability to accelerate from zero to 60 mph one second faster. We are also offering a new cream interior color.
Model X is now available in a new seven-seat configuration, with second and third row seats that fold flat for maximum cargo space.
So the interesting part about this is, does this mean the new 7 seater configuration is now available for all markets?

One reason I got the new 7-seater (even though we rarely (as in never) carry that many people) was the whole omission of the 'extra' HVAC equipment in the 5-seater. You also don't have all the jigsaw pieces of the floor to deal with. All the extra space (under the floorboards) is a pro or a con, depending on how you look at it, and I definitely wanted the 'whole' HVAC. (And, yes, it's only a USA solution for now, as far as we know!)

Had the same issue. There is only the two of us. Went with the 7 seater because, in part, of the back AC. AND the hopes that my daughter will have a husband and 3 little ones........dream on.

Had an idea for when’s i get my 5 Seater Model X. Would relocate 2nd Row of Seats, to where the third row would be. This will allow me to have a big gap in space between the Driver and The Passenger Seats. Similar to a limousine. Would be perfect for Lyft/Uber.

Would set it up so they would fold flat as well.

So would still have plenty of space. And another cool thing is that I’d have 3 seats where there would only be 2, on the 7 Seater Config.

Any tips or ideas on how to improve ventilation back there. Is it really that bad, without having another vent back there?

• Love
Reactions: Peteybabes
Having traded in my truck for a 5 seater recently here are some thoughts....
I didn't want to trade out my minivan coz the 3rd row in it is comfortable enough for an adult on a longer drive as well, plus the 3rd row can also recline. I didn't find the 3rd row comfortable enough to seat me for a long drive... (I'm 5'8", 180lbs). However, I am looking to trade my minivan out for a 7 seater next year, coz even with the reduced storage in the 7 seat configuration, I have more in the Tesla than my Honda Odyssey due to the extra space in the frunk and all the space under the seats... In terms of the HVAC yes, I would prefer to go with the 7 seat config because of the way the system is setup. I do know that although the 7 seat config runs about 3000 more, I don't know if I could drop another 20000 for the 100D. Then again, can I put up with 6 others driving me up the wall when I'm supercharging on a road trip!! I wonder!!

After having a 7 seater loaner for 2.5 weeks, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by it. The middle bench seat is really roomy and the third row isn't bad. I think adults would still be more hard-pressed back in the third row because of the lack of leg room, but I was still impressed.

If I ended up with a 7 seater, I wouldn't complain, but I think I like my 6 seater a tad more.

Reactions: rjdoc74 and P85_DA
I was under the impression that in the 6-seater, that middle row did not fold away but just slid up a little ways forward. So in the 5-seater it seems like you'd gain quite a bit of cargo area as the rearmost seats are placed way more forward than in the 6-seater.

So you not only get the extra under-floor but also maybe a foot or so more cargo area length?? Is that the way it works?

I was under the impression that in the 6-seater, that middle row did not fold away but just slid up a little ways forward. So in the 5-seater it seems like you'd gain quite a bit of cargo area as the rearmost seats are placed way more forward than in the 6-seater.

So you not only get the extra under-floor but also maybe a foot or so more cargo area length?? Is that the way it works?

The 5 seater only gets more cargo space because the middle row can fold. The space where the third row seats fold away under the floor is not very useful, IMO. The main benefit is the folding bench.