Luckily our Teslas aren't aware of your statement. Otherwise Level 2 Tesla charging would be a luxury available to single family dwellers only.
View attachment 867377
- The US grid runs 120/208V three-phase and 277/480V three-phase. This is why the Tesla onboard chargers are rated for 277V.
- Residential single family typically has 120V single-phase, split into two 120V lines 180 degrees out of phase with each other, giving 240V between them.
- Residential multi family housing is typically 120/208V three-phase and commercial properties have a choice of 120/208 three-phase and 277/480 three-phase.
- Level two charging outside of private residences utilizes 208V two-phase charging without neutral, meaning that a Tesla onboard charger sees the difference between when two phases, which is the green curve shown in this diagram:
1) Teslas only support 1 phase charging in the USA
2) The USA grid supplies power at 240V.