Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pros and cons of Model S Long Range AWD vs Model 3 Long Range AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have both. I certainly echo the in town model 3 preference; on the road model S.
We do take the 3 on long road trips because of better range (320 vs 220 for 2015 70D) and also faster charging speed.

Don't care much about center screen or keyfob. Neither are worth the $30k premium.

The S is big - either a plus or minus depending on the individual.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
You also don't have to reach so far over to the right side for things on Portrait.
Yes but on the Model 3 you don't have to look down below the steering wheel (knee level) to adjust any controls, to each their own I guess. I think the reality based on recent Tesla decisions is that they will make design changes based on cost savings (think pano roof, X seats, X spoiler, etc) so it shouldn't surprise anyone if/when they get rid of the dash view, manual vents and portrait nav. eventually on the S and X.

Yes but on the Model 3 you don't have to look down below the steering wheel (knee level) to adjust any controls, to each their own I guess. I think the reality based on recent Tesla decisions is that they will make design changes based on cost savings (think pano roof, X seats, X spoiler, etc) so it shouldn't surprise anyone if/when they get rid of the dash view, manual vents and portrait nav. eventually on the S and X.

True on being lower. If it looks like a Model 3 I don’t think folks will be happy. I certainly wouldn’t. Not looking for a bigger version of the 3. Model 3 is very sterile feeling (I had one), kind of like getting into a dentist chair. S/X is very warm and inviting like sitting down in a living room. I liked the function of Model 3 vents though. We’ll see what they come up with.

True on being lower. If it looks like a Model 3 I don’t think folks will be happy. I certainly wouldn’t. Not looking for a bigger version of the 3. Model 3 is very sterile feeling (I had one), kind of like getting into a dentist chair. S/X is very warm and inviting like sitting down in a living room. I liked the function of Model 3 vents though. We’ll see what they come up with.
I think if they can offer something like Ford has directly in front, and maybe offer some additional space below it (prefer if they move the cupholders there tbh) and swath it all in supple stitched leather it would be beautiful!

I think if they can offer something like Ford has directly in front, and maybe offer some additional space below it (prefer if they move the cupholders there tbh) and swath it all in supple stitched leather it would be beautiful!

I agree. I liked the ford setup too. More modular and could be left out easily on RoboTaxi, along with the steering wheel :)
Probably some time in Q1 2030.

Definitely a con for me, the model 3 interior is atrocious. It's as bare-bones as possible then they glued a display to the dash. I really hope they don't butcher the S like this come refresh time.

Then you best stick with the current gen S because we've seen spy shots of the tri-motor S that show it has the same style display as model 3. And we already know Y and Cybertruck likewise have it.

Reactions: voltage
What are the most important Pros and Cons of the S vs the 3? Pondering 2020 purchase. I've read that Model 3 has faster charging and better motor cooling (electronic pump in 3 vs gear pump in S)... what other considerations are there?

3:
More efficient (less expense per mile, plus helps charging speed)
Potentially faster charging at lower charge levels (due to tech and efficiency, but various factors can limit this potential advantage)
Much cheaper vehicle
Less land bargie

S:
Better range
More storage
More UI real estate
If going top end, more performance
More options for customization (though less than there used to be)

We stopped by Tesla intending to purchase a m3. Having three Audi’s in the past, the interior quality was lacking.
the two deal breakers for us on the 3 were limited cargo/passenger space and no traditional style display behind the steering wheel.
Range/charging speeds were not factors in our decision due to charging at home daily.

Agree. I have both cars. The S is much quieter, rides smoother, and feels more luxurious. On the other hand the 3 handles better, feels more firmly planted, and is quicker in feel.

If former qualities matter to you, get the S.
Is this the case with raven as well? I was under the impression the new suspension made the car handle much better in sport mode.

We have both. Given free reign I’d go for the Model S. The hatchback is very practical. I prefer the softer, floater ride over the firm, sporty-feeling of the Model 3.

They’re both great. Though I think you get more car for your money with the Model 3.