TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pros and Cons to removing the Aero Caps?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by scottman71, Aug 3, 2018.

1. scottman71

scottman71 Member

What are the pros & cons to removing the aero cap (other than it looks better)? Significant mileage loss? Is curb rash reduced?

2. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

edge of the rim is just as vulnerable to curb rash, as the aero covers don't cover that part.

• Informative x 1
  3. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

If memory is correct it's 5% less range

4. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

I can unfortunately confirm that the covers do nothing to prevent curb rash.

• Informative x 1
  5. Thunder7ga

Thunder7ga Member

I have had mine for 2 weeks (1,755 miles as of today). I drove the first week with the Aero's ON.....then the second with the OFF. I drive 150 miles a day for my commute to/from work. I have noticed NO difference in efficiency. I absolutely LOVE the look of them off...it will remain that way. I might think about putting them back on for a long trip.

• Like x 1
  6. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Several tests have shown about 15 miles less range. And they have surprisingly grown on me.

• Like x 1
  7. Scrutmonkey

Scrutmonkey Member

I met another owner who said their's were making rattling noises.

They asked the SC and Tesla opted for them to just take them of and use a center-cap kit.

8. Terthen

Terthen Member

I love the look of them off too. Looks better to me in real life than in pictures. At first I planned to keep aero caps on, but then in another thread someone mentioned they look like hub caps and after that that's all I could think about when I looked at them so I had to take them off. Now I'm in the camp that the best deal is to get the aero wheels but then remove the caps.

9. eli_

eli_ Member

Yeah I had some rattling on a couple wheels at low speeds, but removing them and re-seating them seemed to get rid of it. I think it's locking around the center ring that causes that.

10. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Besides looks, the main reason I don't use them everyday is because I know some jerk is going to steal them or just steal one and really piss me off.

• Funny x 1
  11. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

270 Wh/mi Aero
    282 Wh/mi Non Aero

12. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

They look better in person than in pics. But I like them off more.

13. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

I removed mine and haven't thought once of putting them back on. Initially I thought I'd install them for road trips, but once I realized that 5% range improvement isn't going to be relevant to me on my road trips, and if I get short on juice I can make up 5% just by slowing down a bit, AND now I realize that the navigation screen tells me when I'm at risk for running out of juice on a road trip if I don't slow down to X speed, I can't foresee a day when I put the hubcaps back on my car. It looks to me that they're merely a gimmick to maximize listed range, when in the end Tesla advertises 310 (not 343) anyway so as not to up-end the Model S range. I'm getting 280 miles of range at 80mph in the Southeast, routinely, with uncovered Aeros. Amazing. In my garage they remain.

14. irwiny

irwiny Member

After doing fine the first month with the covers off and adding the kit, I curbed it twice in a few days.

Just added the two piece type wheel bans with 3M adhesive ordered directly from China.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  15. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

You'll take a range hit in high speed driving, like on a road trip. That's the only downside.

• Like x 1
  16. liuping

liuping Active Member

It depends a lot on your average speed.

If you do mostly around town/city driving or live in LA traffic, there is virtually no difference.

If you do a lot of high speed highway driving, it's about 4-5% less efficient.

17. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

I thought that went without saying, but yeah.

18. C141medic

C141medic Supporting Member

Do those things actually help with curb rash?

19. irwiny

irwiny Member

Only on for 4 days.. The cost was less than $20 bucks a set, so if it helps its worth it. They are installed on the lip where I scratched both front rims. For sure looks 100x better than having scratched rims and I don't plan on going to any car wash shops.

Irwin

20. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Also, if you live in a cooler climate a good strategy, rather than paying Tesla an extra $1500 for 19" rims, is to get the standard aeros, turn those into your snow tire rims, and then spend the $1500 you would have spent going to 19" Tesla wheels to just get an entire 2nd set of rims/tires.

That's what I will probably do.

• Like x 2