Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pros and Cons to removing the Aero Caps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had mine for 2 weeks (1,755 miles as of today). I drove the first week with the Aero's ON.....then the second with the OFF. I drive 150 miles a day for my commute to/from work. I have noticed NO difference in efficiency. I absolutely LOVE the look of them off...it will remain that way. I might think about putting them back on for a long trip.

I love the look of them off too. Looks better to me in real life than in pictures. At first I planned to keep aero caps on, but then in another thread someone mentioned they look like hub caps and after that that's all I could think about when I looked at them so I had to take them off. Now I'm in the camp that the best deal is to get the aero wheels but then remove the caps.

I removed mine and haven't thought once of putting them back on. Initially I thought I'd install them for road trips, but once I realized that 5% range improvement isn't going to be relevant to me on my road trips, and if I get short on juice I can make up 5% just by slowing down a bit, AND now I realize that the navigation screen tells me when I'm at risk for running out of juice on a road trip if I don't slow down to X speed, I can't foresee a day when I put the hubcaps back on my car. It looks to me that they're merely a gimmick to maximize listed range, when in the end Tesla advertises 310 (not 343) anyway so as not to up-end the Model S range. I'm getting 280 miles of range at 80mph in the Southeast, routinely, with uncovered Aeros. Amazing. In my garage they remain.

After doing fine the first month with the covers off and adding the kit, I curbed it twice in a few days.

Just added the two piece type wheel bans with 3M adhesive ordered directly from China.

Attachments

• IMG_20180803_172642.jpg
    IMG_20180803_172642.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 2,141
Reactions: liuping
I love the look of them off too. Looks better to me in real life than in pictures. At first I planned to keep aero caps on, but then in another thread someone mentioned they look like hub caps and after that that's all I could think about when I looked at them so I had to take them off. Now I'm in the camp that the best deal is to get the aero wheels but then remove the caps.

Also, if you live in a cooler climate a good strategy, rather than paying Tesla an extra $1500 for 19" rims, is to get the standard aeros, turn those into your snow tire rims, and then spend the $1500 you would have spent going to 19" Tesla wheels to just get an entire 2nd set of rims/tires.

That's what I will probably do.