Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pros and Cons to removing the Aero Caps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am leaving them on for a few reasons. One is that the wheel covers look fine in person, and only look bad in photos.

Also, there is a 12 mile difference in range - more if you go faster.

Also, part of the point of a Tesla is to not do things the traditional way just for the sake of making people feel comfortable with what they are used to, so if the covers are better, they are better even if they don't look traditional.

Took my aero covers off today mainly because I got a set of the Tesla wheel caps for Christmas and wanted to see how the rims look sans cover. I actually like the look of the aero covers though, so I’m leaning towards putting them back on. The alloy rims are fine but a bit plain, even with the caps. I’d probably like them better if they were silver. Now that I’ve got the caps on, I’ll give it a few more days and see if the rims grow on me. We don’t do a lot of highway, or at least highway speed driving in the DC area, so this is a purely aesthetic thing. I’ll definitely put them back on for road trips though. Every percent counts!

I actually like the look of the aero covers (they look cool in person IMO) but took them off due to theft concerns. I dont want someone to snag one (making my whole set useless) because I will use them for road trips only at this point. It's stupid that they arent locked in place in some way but oh well.

The wheels under the aero caps look amazing with the center cap kit.

I got wheel locks but unfortunately they dont protect the aero covers.

I would 100% use the aero covers for the efficiency alone if I wasnt concerned about theft.