TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Pros & Cons of a Factory Pickup

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by polymathic, Nov 17, 2016.

1. polymathic

polymathic Member

Living in the Bay Area, I was planning on picking up my MX in Fremont, which is about an hour away from my house.

Then it occurred to me that I already toured the factory, and that if I drive to Fremont with my wife and kids to pick up the car, one of us will be stuck driving our tired old car back home alone. Not fun.

Aside from the factory tour, is there a real advantage to do a factory pickup? Do they have the ability to fix some issues you may detect on the spot? Is the car better prepped? Or am I better off just picking it up in Corte Madera?

Thanks.

2. thimel

thimel Member

No advantage that I am aware of.

3. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

You could always ask a friend to give you and your family a ride to Fremont if they're up for sharing a bit of your delivery experience at the factory in exchange for the ride.

The big pluses to factory pickup, so far as I can tell, are A) You should, in theory, get the car sooner, and B) You have a longer drive home on which to enjoy your maiden voyage with your new Tesla. :)

I'm sure you'll have a blast either way! Enjoy!

• Like x 1
  4. Gregkeys

Gregkeys Member

Do they still charge delivery if you pick up at factory

5. polymathic

polymathic Member

Yes, they do still charge for delivery.

6. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

The only advantage is the factory tour and the ability to purchase some merchandise (hats and t-shirts) that are only available at the factory.

7. iceman747

iceman747 Member

Are you more or less likely to get a swag bag with delivery at the factory?

8. dprisoner

dprisoner Member

I booked a Lyft for my party so we could all come back in the MX, we were taking the tour as well, and I did get a swag bag at the factory,

9. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

So you pay the same for delivery AND you get an opportunity to spend more money at the Tesla Store... count me in! :)

10. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I've had a factory delivery and a Service Center delivery. I wouldn't do a factory delivery again. Anecdotally here (and from my own experience), they seem to be more rushed and cookie-cutter than the Service Center deliveries. My suggestion is to visit your local SC and pick up the car.

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The factory tour is an amazing experience (I have done it three times and plan on doing it again) but since you live near by you can do it whenever you want, just ask your DS to request a tour for you.

At delivery they can't fix issues "on the spot" as far as I know. The car prep is no different. In your area I believe the delivery will be at the San Rafael Service Center (Corte Madera is just a showroom, right?).

I took delivery of my S at the factory. It was really fun just to be at "the mothership" for the first time and exciting to do the tour. But the delivery experience was rushed and superficial (they had dozens of cars to deliver that day). I didn't care too much because I already knew the car inside and out from reading the manual online a few dozen times and having 3 test drives and visiting various showrooms looking at cars and colors. :)

• Like x 1
  12. Reeler

Reeler 7th Year of Pure EV

If there is an issue at delivery, you will be taking a Lyft home. After 4 SC deliveries, one didn't result in our taking the car home. It is a disappointment regardless of where you take delivery.