Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pros & Cons of a Factory Pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Living in the Bay Area, I was planning on picking up my MX in Fremont, which is about an hour away from my house.

Then it occurred to me that I already toured the factory, and that if I drive to Fremont with my wife and kids to pick up the car, one of us will be stuck driving our tired old car back home alone. Not fun.

Aside from the factory tour, is there a real advantage to do a factory pickup? Do they have the ability to fix some issues you may detect on the spot? Is the car better prepped? Or am I better off just picking it up in Corte Madera?

Thanks.

Living in the Bay Area, I was planning on picking up my MX in Fremont, which is about an hour away from my house.

Then it occurred to me that I already toured the factory, and that if I drive to Fremont with my wife and kids to pick up the car, one of us will be stuck driving our tired old car back home alone. Not fun.

Aside from the factory tour, is there a real advantage to do a factory pickup? Do they have the ability to fix some issues you may detect on the spot? Is the car better prepped? Or am I better off just picking it up in Corte Madera?

Thanks.
No advantage that I am aware of.

You could always ask a friend to give you and your family a ride to Fremont if they're up for sharing a bit of your delivery experience at the factory in exchange for the ride.

The big pluses to factory pickup, so far as I can tell, are A) You should, in theory, get the car sooner, and B) You have a longer drive home on which to enjoy your maiden voyage with your new Tesla. :)

I'm sure you'll have a blast either way! Enjoy!

Reactions: hollywood
I've had a factory delivery and a Service Center delivery. I wouldn't do a factory delivery again. Anecdotally here (and from my own experience), they seem to be more rushed and cookie-cutter than the Service Center deliveries. My suggestion is to visit your local SC and pick up the car.

The factory tour is an amazing experience (I have done it three times and plan on doing it again) but since you live near by you can do it whenever you want, just ask your DS to request a tour for you.

At delivery they can't fix issues "on the spot" as far as I know. The car prep is no different. In your area I believe the delivery will be at the San Rafael Service Center (Corte Madera is just a showroom, right?).

I took delivery of my S at the factory. It was really fun just to be at "the mothership" for the first time and exciting to do the tour. But the delivery experience was rushed and superficial (they had dozens of cars to deliver that day). I didn't care too much because I already knew the car inside and out from reading the manual online a few dozen times and having 3 test drives and visiting various showrooms looking at cars and colors. :)

Reactions: HerrJones