TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pros/Cons of Standard and Performance Seats

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by gameboy, Oct 15, 2013.

1. gameboy

gameboy Member

What are the the pros and cons of Standard seats and Performance seats for a P85+? I haven't read anything that showed Performance seats to be worthwhile. It seems a pro of Standard Seats is saving $1000...though I do kind of like the red piping. Besides that, any other reasons I should consider the Performance seats over Standard seats or vice-versa?

2. 3pod

3pod Member

I believe the piping and alcantara inserts are the only differences. Alcantara might be a grippier surface but I highly doubt it would be noticeable difference.

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

$1000 cosmetic looks. it's not like it makes you go any faster.

4. Argelius

Argelius Member

Others can comment with more authority, but I passed on the performance seats because the alcantara inserts looked like they'd be horrible dirt magnets....

5. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

From my recollection, the perf seats upgrade variance from the standard seats are the red stitching and the alcantara.

6. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

My P+ came with performance seats and we ordered standard leather on my wife's car. I really can not tell any difference apart from seeing alcantera inserts on mine when I pay attention. I would not have spent the money had they been a pay for option.

7. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

And the textile seats on currently-shipping Model Ss are the same as the standard leather seats, minus, obviously, the leather... and the cool little charging card cubby. Or so I'm told.

8. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Pro:
    Red piping (love it)
    Alcantara (makes the seats look sportier compared to just leather which looks more luxurious)

Cons:
    Two different seat materials means longer cleaning time
    1000 bucks is a bit pricy

Personally I will be going with performance seats, my justification is if I'm spending all that money might as well get all the options I want regardless of price.

9. garcilamd

garcilamd Member

I've have the regular leather black seats. I've had the car since mid July and I notice that the seat bolster on the driver side where you have to initially sit has shown some wearing out of proportion to the rest of the seat. It's sort of like a wrinkling from when it gets compressed. I never noticed it on the same area of an M3 that I turned it after 3 years. I'm not sure if the Alcantara would help with that.

10. gameboy

gameboy Member

I went performance. Then standard. And now back to performance. Your thought helped me. Plus I got to see Denarius' MS in person. Thanks a lot!!! It probably doesn't do much, but I think performance seats look nice! I am kinda worried about the piping eventually fraying or the red fading over time though.

11. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

My standard leather seats have the same wrinkling. The P85 loaner that I had(which was a store demo), didn't have much wrinkling.

- - - Updated - - -

My standard leather seats have the same wrinkling. The P85 loaner that I had(which was a store demo), didn't have much wrinkling.

12. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I have an S85 with regular leather seats and have a P85 loaner for the weekend with the performance seats--can't really tell the difference. It does seem like the inserts would be a pain to clear for folks that worry about that.

O

13. gameboy

gameboy Member

Those who have both kinds of seats or seen both in-depth, performance seats don't have any more material than the standard seats, is that right? They are both just as comfortable? Debating on going back to standard again to save $1000!

14. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

To me, the seats looked and felt the same, the performance seats just had the different inserts, but could be the my backside is not discerning enough. :)

O

15. Cal1

Cal1 Member

These are not real performance seats like Recaros. No better holding during spirited driving, no better bolsters. Just a little different material and the piping. Time will tell if they hold up any better than the stand leather. (I doubt it) I'd not pay extra but it was already on the demo we bought. Would have much preferred to spend the $ on something else.

16. gameboy

gameboy Member

So I ultimately went with Standard leather seats. It's interesting that all of the YouTube videos of test drives that I've recently seen have cars with the Performance Seats.

17. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Paying $1,000 for "performance" seats is flushing money down the toilet. The little alcantara inserts and red piping are not worth extra money. In fact, the standard non-performance leather seats have more leather than the $1,000 performance option. Save you money or throw it towards other options that actually improve the car.

18. shark

shark Member

I had a white P85 loaner with tan interior. The seats had grey piping that did not seem to match.

19. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

What's the deal with Alcantara anyway? Is it like the carbon fiber of upholstery? $1000 for little seat inserts, $1500 for a headliner?

20. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

The worst part is that alcantara is a synthetic material, so you are paying more money for something fake. The performance seat option charges an extra $1,000 while removing leather in select areas and replacing that leather with synthetic alcantara "suede" like material. I do like the alcantara headliner option, as the standard fabric looks cheap. I've had several passengers already mistake the alcantara for suede, which is fine in my book.