Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pros/Cons of Standard and Performance Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the the pros and cons of Standard seats and Performance seats for a P85+? I haven't read anything that showed Performance seats to be worthwhile. It seems a pro of Standard Seats is saving $1000...though I do kind of like the red piping. Besides that, any other reasons I should consider the Performance seats over Standard seats or vice-versa?

My P+ came with performance seats and we ordered standard leather on my wife's car. I really can not tell any difference apart from seeing alcantera inserts on mine when I pay attention. I would not have spent the money had they been a pay for option.

Pro:
Red piping (love it)
Alcantara (makes the seats look sportier compared to just leather which looks more luxurious)

Cons:
Two different seat materials means longer cleaning time
1000 bucks is a bit pricy

Personally I will be going with performance seats, my justification is if I'm spending all that money might as well get all the options I want regardless of price.

I've have the regular leather black seats. I've had the car since mid July and I notice that the seat bolster on the driver side where you have to initially sit has shown some wearing out of proportion to the rest of the seat. It's sort of like a wrinkling from when it gets compressed. I never noticed it on the same area of an M3 that I turned it after 3 years. I'm not sure if the Alcantara would help with that.

Pro:
Red piping (love it)
Alcantara (makes the seats look sportier compared to just leather which looks more luxurious)

Cons:
Two different seat materials means longer cleaning time
1000 bucks is a bit pricy

Personally I will be going with performance seats, my justification is if I'm spending all that money might as well get all the options I want regardless of price.

I went performance. Then standard. And now back to performance. Your thought helped me. Plus I got to see Denarius' MS in person. Thanks a lot!!! It probably doesn't do much, but I think performance seats look nice! I am kinda worried about the piping eventually fraying or the red fading over time though.

I've have the regular leather black seats. I've had the car since mid July and I notice that the seat bolster on the driver side where you have to initially sit has shown some wearing out of proportion to the rest of the seat. It's sort of like a wrinkling from when it gets compressed. I never noticed it on the same area of an M3 that I turned it after 3 years. I'm not sure if the Alcantara would help with that.
My standard leather seats have the same wrinkling. The P85 loaner that I had(which was a store demo), didn't have much wrinkling.

- - - Updated - - -

My standard leather seats have the same wrinkling. The P85 loaner that I had(which was a store demo), didn't have much wrinkling.

Those who have both kinds of seats or seen both in-depth, performance seats don't have any more material than the standard seats, is that right? They are both just as comfortable? Debating on going back to standard again to save $1000!

These are not real performance seats like Recaros. No better holding during spirited driving, no better bolsters. Just a little different material and the piping. Time will tell if they hold up any better than the stand leather. (I doubt it) I'd not pay extra but it was already on the demo we bought. Would have much preferred to spend the $ on something else.

Paying $1,000 for "performance" seats is flushing money down the toilet. The little alcantara inserts and red piping are not worth extra money. In fact, the standard non-performance leather seats have more leather than the $1,000 performance option. Save you money or throw it towards other options that actually improve the car.

The worst part is that alcantara is a synthetic material, so you are paying more money for something fake. The performance seat option charges an extra $1,000 while removing leather in select areas and replacing that leather with synthetic alcantara "suede" like material. I do like the alcantara headliner option, as the standard fabric looks cheap. I've had several passengers already mistake the alcantara for suede, which is fine in my book.