Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PROS/CONS - what makes you love your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick introduction: I'm on the fence about getting a Model Y LR. I test drove one, and I've been reading a LOT about the car. In short, driving it sure was fun but I read some of the negatives and I wonder if it's really worth it. So...

What pros outweigh the cons for you, and make you love your car?
Not what features made you buy a Tesla Y (or 3), but what now makes you glad that you did?

Here's a quick list of some of the things I've read about, and I am concerned about, but couldn't really test on my test drive:
  1. Phantom braking so bad that some people don't even use AutoPilot, and no "ordinary" cruise control at all
  2. Auto headlights too unreliable to rely on
  3. Auto windshield wipers unreliable whereas other cars do it well
  4. no Apple / Android integration
  5. lots of issues playing music from USB (I'm old fashioned and like having my 10,000+ song collection on USB in my current vehicle)
    • it forgets where you were when you leave the car and get back in (that would really annoy me)
    • issues searching USB by voice commands
  6. paying luxury car price for the car but not getting luxury features common in other cars in this price range
  7. rear visibility - tiny rear window, small side mirrors, no blind spot warning like many other cars have now

I guess I'm wondering if I can't use AutoPilot, auto headlights & wipers, experience problems playing musing on USB, if rear view and blind spots are worse than my current car, would I really be happy with a Model Y? Or is driving it just that much fun?
If you have to be convinced, you will never be happy with it. There will always be something to be negative about. Nothing will ever be perfect.

Reactions: Deutsch100
Quick introduction: I'm on the fence about getting a Model Y LR. I test drove one, and I've been reading a LOT about the car. In short, driving it sure was fun but I read some of the negatives and I wonder if it's really worth it. So...

Not what features made you buy a Tesla Y (or 3), but what now makes you glad that you did?

Here's a quick list of some of the things I've read about, and I am concerned about, but couldn't really test on my test drive:
  1. Phantom braking so bad that some people don't even use AutoPilot, and no "ordinary" cruise control at all
  5. lots of issues playing music from USB (I'm old fashioned and like having my 10,000+ song collection on USB in my current vehicle)
    • it forgets where you were when you leave the car and get back in (that would really annoy me)
  6. paying luxury car price for the car but not getting luxury features common in other cars in this price range
  7. rear visibility - tiny rear window, small side mirrors, no blind spot warning like many other cars have now

I guess I'm wondering if I can't use AutoPilot, auto headlights & wipers, experience problems playing musing on USB, if rear view and blind spots are worse than my current car, would I really be happy with a Model Y? Or is driving it just that much fun?
Hey SkyDog, keep in mind that many of these forum members are car enthusiasts, and have high expectations of form, fit and function. I think many of us believe the MY is a terrific car, but also keep it under the microscope for continuous improvement. I know I would love to see it become that “perfect car”. However, back to your question: “I wonder if it's really worth it”. I think you will see a common flavor across many of the discussions that “yes, this car is impressive”. While there can be a long list of accumulated CONS, they are mostly insignificant to the fun, utility, and seamless synergism of this sophisticated vehicle. The litmus test: my sweet wife was never interested in driving an EV….now she practically sleeps in it!

And yes, there are some characteristics that may not match your needs, or even appear to make design sense. I am reminded of Elon discussing the massively difficult effort of moving from prototype to full production of “any” Tesla. Design has to integrate size, weight, performance, cost, reliability, safety and overall producibility. I am sure they ran into many design “dead ends”, requiring them to redesign specific components, that also influenced other integrated components. Elon referred to the initial Model 3 seats as “concrete toadstools” (or something similar). He recalled many agonizing months of design reviews for just getting the seats comfortable.

All of these issues are real, but no car is perfect. To me, the electric driving experience (torque, horse power and regen braking) and the very well designed tech override (by far) any negatives.

1. I only use adaptive cruise (without auto steer) and that is great. Gives me a chance to take my foot off the accelerator for a while and get into a different position. It is not a big deal to keep your hands on the steering wheel - you have to do it with auto steer anyway. If I bought this car for Autopilot or FSD I would be very disappointed as I think they are both dangerous and unreliable. I test drove a Model 3 with FSD and it was a (scary) joke.
  2. Auto headlights are terrible - way too sensitive and worse than any car I have owned. I have them turned off in settings.
  3. Auto windshield wipers also are not good. That tech has not worked well in any car I have owned. They should at least give you the option to change the sensitivity.
  4. I like the built in nav better than Apple CarPlay. I like being able to pinch and rotate the screen and be able to see more of the route. Plus it integrates with charging really well. I use Spotify and I like that it is built into the Tesla system - better than through CarPlay.
  5. I don't play music from USB.
  6. I think you get many luxury features and I am happy with the luxury aspect. Keep in mind the car is only around $50k. I think it competes well with other cars at that price point.
  7. I put small blind spot mirrors on the side mirrors and have no issues with visibility.
After owning the Y for 3 months we are now considering another Tesla to replace our 5 series BMW. I can't stand driving ICE cars anymore - I am spoiled.

Reactions: Deutsch100
Hey SkyDog, keep in mind that many of these forum members are car enthusiasts, and have high expectations of form, fit and function. I think many of us believe the MY is a terrific car, but also keep it under the microscope for continuous improvement. I know I would love to see it become that “perfect car”. However, back to your question: “I wonder if it's really worth it”. I think you will see a common flavor across many of the discussions that “yes, this car is impressive”. While there can be a long list of accumulated CONS, they are mostly insignificant to the fun, utility, and seamless synergism of this sophisticated vehicle. The litmus test: my sweet wife was never interested in driving an EV….now she practically sleeps in it!

And yes, there are some characteristics that may not match your needs, or even appear to make design sense. I am reminded of Elon discussing the massively difficult effort of moving from prototype to full production of “any” Tesla. Design has to integrate size, weight, performance, cost, reliability, safety and overall producibility. I am sure they ran into many design “dead ends”, requiring them to redesign specific components, that also influenced other integrated components. Elon referred to the initial Model 3 seats as “concrete toadstools” (or something similar). He recalled many agonizing months of design reviews for just getting the seats comfortable.
I did place my order for a Model Y 2 weeks ago.
Now I just have to wait 6 months to get the car and see if any of my concerns are really a problem for me.

Long Range, blue, black interior, 5 seats, no FSD.
Now I just need to ready for home charging (I have another thread on that already).
I decided on "no FSD" as well, because my wife would probably not use it (I do like the ability to lease FSD for a month to test it out on a road trip...really smart).
I thought about the 7-seat configuration, but looks like less than 10% who have back-row seats actually use them, and not adult-friendly (plus $$)
Never thought my wife would like the simple cabin layout.... but she loves it. No distractions, just play music and drive
You might "pause on buying extras", until you experience the car. Great marketing on supplemental stuff, but you may never use them.
Wow, delivery date has pushed out to 6 months? We ordered in May this year and delivered within 5 weeks. Worldwide supply chain is not your friend!!!!
I test drove the model 3 this week. Dallas Rep stated he may not have any more test drives available within 2 weeks (no cars available)
We installed full home charging (as a sunk cost of breaking into EV) plus it offsets the additional Tesla I plan to buy next year!
I know you will enjoy this investment.....stay well my friend!

I decided on "no FSD" as well, because my wife would probably not use it (I do like the ability to lease FSD for a month to test it out on a road trip...really smart).
I thought about the 7-seat configuration, but looks like less than 10% who have back-row seats actually use them, and not adult-friendly (plus $$)
Never thought my wife would like the simple cabin layout.... but she loves it. No distractions, just play music and drive
You might "pause on buying extras", until you experience the car. Great marketing on supplemental stuff, but you may never use them.
Wow, delivery date has pushed out to 6 months? We ordered in May this year and delivered within 5 weeks. Worldwide supply chain is not your friend!!!!
I test drove the model 3 this week. Dallas Rep stated he may not have any more test drives available within 2 weeks (no cars available)
We installed full home charging (as a sunk cost of breaking into EV) plus it offsets the additional Tesla I plan to buy next year!
I know you will enjoy this investment.....stay well my friend!
I can't see myself ever getting FSD - I don't want to start any arguments but I don't know if I'd ever really trust it, and besides, I don't mind driving myself.

I'm amazed at the "extras" that are available for Teslas! As of now, I'm planning on front mud flaps, floor mats, probably a screen protector, and a big SSD for my music collection. Other than that, I'll wait and see. But 6 (or more?) months of waiting... ugh!

I think that sums it up for me as well. I pretty much decided early on as well. The good stuff greatly outweighs the bad, and complaining about it was just taking enjoyment away. I remember hanging out on those v11 complaint threads and the negativity was was just festering. Probably still is. I got 52 dislikes from one very angry little man, just for not being unhappy.

I carry one of these: 18V Digital Inflator | RIDGID Tools

1664196279899.png

Model Y pros and cons (in my opinion). The pros outweigh the cons, for me. (Mine is an early model, and some of these may have been fixed.)

1. + Charging at home is great, much better for everyday use.
2. + Great acceleration and handling
3. + Auto Steer works better than other cars
4. + Car has internet access (a little slow).
5. + There is instant response on the accelerator
6. + Lots of storage space
7. + It's no problem to charge on cross country trips. Slightly less convenient than gas cars, but no problem.
8. + Trailer hitch works great.
9. + Decent ground clearance.
10. + Good backup camera.
11. + Above average map and navigation system.
12. + Excellent real-time info (current usage, distance, routes) on superchargers.
13. + You can see how much charge you have, and how much extra you'll have at your destination.
14. + Camera video can be saved.
15. + Excellent "sentry mode" security system.
16. + Phone app to monitor car and control a few functions remotely.

1. - Phantom braking can be severe and repetitive, even on cruise with no autopilot.
2. - Cruise Control:
2 a. - The roller to increase or decrease speed behaves differently going up and down. It decreases from current cruise setting, and increases from current speed. If you're going 70 and want to 62, two downward spins and two up clicks put you at 72, not 62.
2 b. - In the self-driving beta, you cannot set cruise control to the current speed. It goes to the current speed limit +-, which is frequently wrong.
2 c. - In the self-driving beta, it is really tough to set the speed to a school zone or construction zone limit.
2 d. - In the self-driving beta, the cruise control doesn't slow down fast enough when you get to slower speed limits.
3. - Roof rack cross pieces cannot be easily removed or folded (like an Outback).
4. - Key fob has major problems, and costs $175.
5. - No cross traffic warning when backing onto a road (like an Outback does)
6. - Climate control takes multiple key presses on touch screen. Voice command doesn't work for all climate functions.
7. - No spare tire, no place to store 3rd party spare
8. - Neutrogina sunscreen + sweat melts upholstery
9. - Suspension is stiffer than I prefer
10. - Turn signal operation is not normal, and it's easy to leave blinking because the click is quiet.
11. - When you open a door to get out, the sound system gets really quiet but keeps going, so you miss part of a podcast or audiobook.
12. - Heat or AC comes on when the car is parked whenever you open a passenger door. That's noisy when you need the door open in the garage.
13. - In general, buttons with tactile feedback would be easier to use than having almost everything on the touch screen.

Autopilot works pretty good without the self-driving beta for lane-keeping. It can get unpredictable in construction zones.

Cruise control is OK if you configure it to go to the current speed instead of the default speed limit (which is not possible in the self-driving beta).

Auto headlights (won't dim) and auto wipers (won't wipe) are a pain.

Bluetooth works pretty good with the sound system, although it occasionally flakes out. I've used USB, but the bluetooth was more convenient. I have a jillion songs on my iphone that work on bluetooth, and it remembers the current song even after the input has been changed. I don't search by voice, so I don't know how that works.

The rear window is no good, but the backup camera is good for me (except it goes away if you change the climate in reverse). There is a blind spot warning on the highway, just not backing out of a driveway. I miss that! The side mirrors seem big enough for me.