Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prospective new Model 3 owner is looking for adivce on the owning experience in the Tampa area.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks please forgive me if this is the wrong place. I've just made the decision to go electric on my next car, more specifically the Model 3. We live in a rental place right now and have no garage but the Army is moving us back to our home in FL this spring and will make the purchase then. Anyone dealt with the centers in Tampa? Hints? Been watching YouTube and lurking on forums for a while now. As soon as we get back to FL and I get all my $ organized, I want a red SR+ with aero and FSD. I'll take any advice y'all have! Peace!

Folks please forgive me if this is the wrong place. I've just made the decision to go electric on my next car, more specifically the Model 3. We live in a rental place right now and have no garage but the Army is moving us back to our home in FL this spring and will make the purchase then. Anyone dealt with the centers in Tampa? Hints? Been watching YouTube and lurking on forums for a while now. As soon as we get back to FL and I get all my $ organized, I want a red SR+ with aero and FSD. I'll take any advice y'all have! Peace!
Welcome to the forums.

Could you be a bit more specific regarding the advice you are looking for? Are you looking for advice on what to look for during a test drive? Are you looking for input on how well the Tampa Service Center handles service requests? Are you looking for advice on what it's like to own a Tesla?

Larry

Welcome to the forums.

Could you be a bit more specific regarding the advice you are looking for? Are you looking for advice on what to look for during a test drive? Are you looking for input on how well the Tampa Service Center handles service requests? Are you looking for advice on what it's like to own a Tesla?

Larry

Larry-

Thanks! Really, could use input on all the above. Mostly the owning experience. Is Tampa SC lacking in good customer service? Florida Ave better or worse than International Mall? I hear many negative stories about the buying experience. Anyone done PPF and/or ceramic in the TPA area? Who do you recommend? Did full frontal XPEL on our Honda Passport here in NoVA. Do you recommend spending the extra 500 for a wall charger over a 14/50 outlet? When I order the car should I just do it on the website or go to the service center?

I'm thrilled I should be able to get this done this summer when we move back to Tampa! I've had to refrain from talking about this with SWMBO as I get the eye roll when I try. :) . Happy Holidays to all!

Reactions: Larry Chanin
Larry-

Thanks! Really, could use input on all the above. Mostly the owning experience. Is Tampa SC lacking in good customer service? Florida Ave better or worse than International Mall? I hear many negative stories about the buying experience. Anyone done PPF and/or ceramic in the TPA area? Who do you recommend? Did full frontal XPEL on our Honda Passport here in NoVA. Do you recommend spending the extra 500 for a wall charger over a 14/50 outlet? When I order the car should I just do it on the website or go to the service center?

I'm thrilled I should be able to get this done this summer when we move back to Tampa! I've had to refrain from talking about this with SWMBO as I get the eye roll when I try. :) . Happy Holidays to all!
I have my Model 3 for 1 1/2 years and 20,000 mile and have never been to a service center as the first service is 4 years. No engine, spark plugs, radiator,transmission, muffler, etc. SC is not a big concern and the Road Rangers would go to your house.

I have my Model 3 for 1 1/2 years and 20,000 mile and have never been to a service center as the first service is 4 years. No engine, spark plugs, radiator,transmission, muffler, etc. SC is not a big concern and the Road Rangers would go to your house.
PS. I drive my Model 3 from Northern NY to Florida and have never needed a Service Center

order your car on the website install a 14/50 nema outlet save $ 500 and be patient its tesla we live in st pete enjoy the weather

Thanks! We have a home in Citrus Park north of the airport. Moving back after 15 years of Army moves. What would be the cost of installing an outlet? I could do it as it would be next to the breaker box, but I'd rather not get zapped.

Larry-

The Tampa Service Center on Florida Ave, only opened on November 1st, so there may not be much in the way of direct experience there. The same is true of their store. In addition, when any establishment just opens for the first time, there's likely to be initial issues that get ironed out as they come up to speed.

There are two vendors that advertise here that do paint armor and ceramic coatings. Both of them are located nearby the Service Center.
Auto Paint Guard: Tesla Model 3 - Paint Protection Film, Ceramic Coating and Window Film
The Tesla Studio: Tesla Model 3 - Clear Bra, Window tint, Ceramic coating

I don't have any personal experience with Auto Paint Guard.
The Tesla Studio also has a studio in Sarasota where I live. I have had paint armor and ceramic coatings installed on three of our Teslas. The service was exceptional.

Regarding the charger for your car, I initially installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet for my Model S. It cost $250 not counting the permit to have an electrician install it. When we purchased a Model 3 for my wife, I upgraded the outlet to a full-capacity (80 amp continuous) Tesla Connector. This way we could more quickly charge either car. In addition to the cost of the Tesla Connector, it cost $1000 to install the connector including permits. If you don't have multiple Teslas and if you're not a "Road Warrior" in which you drive hundreds of miles per day, then the NEMA outlet should suffice.

Regarding where to order your car, if you have any questions about the various options, you might want to visit a store and have them place the order after your questions are answered. Otherwise, if you know what you want there's no reason why you can't order the car via their website.

Larry

Last edited:

not sure there's much of use for you here, but here are some "review articles" from our ownership of a SR+ in Sarasota area without home charging: Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus Long-Term Review Archives | CleanTechnica

have driven up to Tampa a few times, including yesterday.

driving approx. the US average. basically just charge at places we commonly visit — stores, parks, coffee shops.

Reactions: scooter62