Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prospective owner questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just joined the forum after test driving a MS P100D yesterday. I have a Cayenne Turbo and resisted driving a Tesla for years. I used to think they were not driver oriented cars and build quality was average. One test drive and it has simply changed my mind. Instant torque makes the power so much usable. The car handles quite well with low center of gravity. ICE looks so outdated now..

As I am going through the transformation, I have a few questions. I will most likely be buying a slightly used car. Say 2016+ model. I like cars with performance and used to 4.2 s 0-60 with the Cayenne. Even though it has lot of power, I didn't use it a whole lot. 4.2 is plenty fast for me. However, I feel the instant torque of ModelS would make me use the power so much more often.

4.2 is like table-stakes for ModelS. Non-P versions can match it. I would love to hear opinions on how critical the performance is? Do P85D, P90D, P100D owners really use the rocket-like acceleration under regular use? I understand such performance is great for test drives.

Besides more range and supercar performance, what else is P90D/P100D offering over the other models for $20-40K premium?

Thank you for your input!

Tesla tends to over emphasize 0-60 while downplaying other performance metrics. While 75d and 90/100d models have near identical 0-60 times, the 75’s tend to tail off quite quickly at highway speeds. The bigger battery non-P models are a bit better. Performance models (with ludicrous) are substantially quicker at highway speeds, especially notable at speeds over 70mph. To me, this is their big advantage. Highway passing, high-speed acceleration is much more important to me that off the line launch. If that is important to you as well, I strongly recommend considering a performance model if it’s in your budget. Even if you have to go with a slightly older CPO car, you will not regret getting a PxxDL On the flipside, the performance models are considerably less efficient then non-P models with the same battery, and often cost more to insure.

Good points, I agree P models are definitely worth it. Amongst them, P85D is hovering in 80s, P90D in 90s and P100D in 100-110s. So, there is 20-25K premium of slightly used P100D (truly supercar performance) over P85D (near supercar performance). These are all in the budget.

1. Is there much new tech in P100D over P85D given the rapid pace of innovation?
2. For buying used, do miles matter a whole lot for longer term reliability? Eg is there much difference in 10K vs 20 K miles car?

1. Is there much new tech in P100D over P85D given the rapid pace of innovation?
Most likely AP2 in P100D, depends on the production date. Depends on how much you care about autopilot, this is not something that can be retrofitted. AP1 cars didn't have the side repeater cameras as the AP2 do.
2. For buying used, do miles matter a whole lot for longer term reliability? Eg is there much difference in 10K vs 20 K miles car?
Not really, as long as the batter was handled properly. It pays to ask what is the current full charge reading, then you can compare it to a feedback from other owners to see what is the degradation rate. 20K is still well within the original warranty, so you don't have to worry much.

Agree with above. Primarily new tech for a P 100 D would be AP2.0/2.5 vs AP1.0. This may not be such a trade off, as many, including myself, feel that original version is superior. There are extensive post on this subject.

Aside from that, a P100d might have the newer “premium” seats which are made in house as opposed to Next Gen seats which are made by Recaro. Next gen seats are firmer and more heavily bolstered. Premium seats are much softer, have less thigh support and no longer use leather. P85D/P90D will have next gen seats

P100D will also have the new nose cone

The main tech feature to look for is ludicrous. This was a $10,000 option on P90D and early P100D and is now standard on P100D. It was offered for a short time as an upgrade to P85D’s. It totally transforms the performance of the car. Especially at speeds over 30mph. Ludicrous makes the car much quicker at highway speeds. CPO P90D’s and P100D’s with ludicrous will be listed as such. You will have to call tesla to determine if a cpo P85D has been upgraded to ludicrous. The P85DL and P90DL perform essentially the same (90 has a touch more range but the battery degraded faster, so this may be a wash). The P100DL is a bit faster at full charge and has substantially more range. Any ludicrous model will outperform a non L model.

Another thing to consider is how important ride and handling is to you. P85D’s made prior to may 2015 have the much firmer and sportier performance suspension from the original P85+. After that, all performance models has the same “base” suspension as all other model s’s. There is a big difference in ride and handling between the 2 suspension set ups.

For my money the car to get (and the one I bought a few months ago) is a CPO P85D that has been upgraded to ludicrous and was made before may of 2015. The vaunted P85DL+ unicorn

Good luck

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
The promptness of acceleration is what makes the Tesla more fun to drive. ICE cars will never be the same for me.

I went with the P100D because it would be cheaper in the long run. I know myself well and if I bought an 85 or 90 I would still lust after a P100D. I would buy one in a few years which would be a more expensive route than starting with what I want.

Having P and Ludicrous increases resale value, and causes big smile on the owner.
Yes, except in winter, depending on your style, you may find yourself accelerating much harder than the sport setting at least a few times a week.
The only "drawback", is that you no longer want any other car. - it kind of limits your choice of cars.

Reactions: jacksdavim
Btw, is it true that P100D can sustain 2.5s 0-60 like performance for few minutes only? and then the batteries heat up requiring the driver to dial down their right foot?
It is true, but I have never run into it on the street. You will have ample time to reel in any car on a mountain road. Even at speeds over 120 MPH you will slow down long before the car has to.

Btw, is it true that P100D can sustain 2.5s 0-60 like performance for few minutes only? and then the batteries heat up requiring the driver to dial down their right foot?

I've seen these cars absolutely smashed by Maclaren drivers for 30+minutes. I love fast and even I was scared in the front passenger seat. The performance did not taper.

I think the machine limits are beyond our limits.