Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prospective owner with quality control question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My red Model 3 was delivered at the end of Sep. 2018 with a defect in the paint on the bottom of the front air intake. I drove to the Rockville (MD) Service Center late Oct. and they confirmed that I needed a paint correction. They took my information and told me to expect a call in about two weeks and that it would be fixed. I did not receive a call. I called at the end of Oct. to get a status update. After waiting a few minutes on the line, the representative came back and affirmed that I was in the queue to have a paint correction and that I would get a call in mid-Nov. I did not receive a call. I waited. I called again this last week and the representative again put me on hold and came back to tell me that there was no record of me or my situation! He promptly made a service appointment for me in two weeks. Of course, I am not happy - not that they didn't fix (what is, after all, a cosmetic issue) my M3, but that they could not keep track of a simple VIN and phone number and to-do item for paint that I paid an extra $2500 to get. Having said all of that. I love this car! I am a grateful person and wish everyone who dreams of owning one, could have one. Yes, they have service problems. We should stay on top of them to perform better. I am also a fan of Consumer Reports. They do a good job, too. In this case, their criteria are flawed, especially if they focus on non-safety issues like the fit and finish. Tesla needs to up its service game. But then they and we all know that.

I decided not to buy a Tesla at this time despite wanting one and having the money.

Why you ask. Because of service stories.

In my experience with two Model 3's, that's your loss. We've been driving them hard and putting them away wet (actually one stays out in the rain and snow pretty much all the time) and haven't had a single issue. They drive better than any car I've ever driven and are super convenient with no need to go to the gas station or service center for regular oil changes.

I get a smile on my face every time I get to go somewhere in one of our Model 3's. If I worried about Internet service stories I would be missing out on all that enjoyment. I actually think some of them are made up by Tesla short-sellers.

I took delivery of mine in Aug 2018. So far I have had zero issues. I remember in August once, the rear camera failed to turn on (the screen was black) but that's about it. With the software updates I've never had that issue since.

Tesla also offers Mobile Service which is incredibly awesome and something I've never seen any other car maker do.

For example when they asked me if I wanted the dual motor badge put on (since I have AWD) the tech drove to our house, and installed it in my garage. He came in a Model S packed with all the tools and equipment he needed for repairs. I was talking to him as he did it and he said Tesla crunched the data and 70% of service visits could be done by having one of their techs drive to customers houses. What other car company does that?

It's the best car I have driven and definitely the most fun.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I was preparing to buy a Model 3 and had a 240v outlet installed in my garage this week. (I was having other electrical work done and figured I would take care of the outlet while I had the electrician’s attention.) Two days later, Consumer Reports came out with their release about pulling their recommendation because of reliability issues, notwithstanding that their March issue says that Model 3 owners are the most satisfied owners out there. I know their decision was supposedly based on an old (September) survey and that Tesla says they have fixed most problems. I am understandably a bit antsy, though.

My question is this: Is there any anecdotal or other evidence that the Model 3 quality control at the factory has improved since the survey or are people so happy with the car’s look and performance that they are willing to forgive a trip or two with a new car to the service center to iron out the kinks?

Thanks!
Issues get reported more than perfection. Mine was a June build and is flawless. Some folks get frustrated with the car because they don’t read the manual and don’t understand what the car can and cannot do. This forum you’ll see complaints about range and Autopilot. Usually it seems that the poster doesn’t understand some aspect, eg, the car doesn’t self drive 100%, beta software, etc. That being said some folks have had issues. Inspect the car at delivery and refuse one if it has issues. The car is pretty amazing. I feel like I get a new car every 7-10 weeks with the updates. Quiet, streamlined, nice feel, and Autopilot makes every drive more relaxing.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Sounds to me like your reliance on your car, based on your usage patterns, would put reliability at the top, just out of necessity. If it strands you or is otherwise unusable for a time (the service center has it), then safety, comfort and the rest are moot.

Nah, the one time we had to be towed in at the worst time, my husband jumped in my car to catch his flight and I rode with the tow truck guy to the service center. He could have grabbed an Uber to the airport too. Service center gave me a Model X and I was at work just a few hours late. I had the X for the few days it took for them to fix the car. They have always provided loaner service either via their own fleet or Enterprise rentals. I haven't ever gotten a gas car as a loaner, but I understand they will reimburse your gas costs too.

My November 2018 M3 fit and finish was great (although they did have to adjust some of my doors). I've had several problems with it, but mostly related to stuff that other cars don't even offer (screen re-boots, autopilot sensor, charger power door failure, etc.) So yes, your Tesla will probably have some issues, that comes with buying cutting edge technology. But I do not regret my purchase.

Most people don't regret their purchase. We love it too... You can go buy a boring camry or avalon for a few minor glitches here and there. Who says Toyota is so reliable anyways. I had problems with my 4runner 60k where I had to basically sell it before it got worst.