Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protect your public accessible charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My HPWC is accessible from my garage. It since far has not been an issue but how do you all protect your charger from being used without your permission? If I am away from a long period, I can remove the breaker. Other option is installing a smart switch but haven't been able to find one for 240v60a.

Attachments

• 20181020_112905.jpg
    20181020_112905.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 127
My HPWC is accessible from my garage. It since far has not been an issue but how do you all protect your charger from being used without your permission? If I am away from a long period, I can remove the breaker. Other option is installing a smart switch but haven't been able to find one for 240v60a.

There is this one that says it's good for 220v60A. It is a contactor relay that you plug into a smart plug which will give you remote control. It comes in a lockable box, however i believe that box is indoor only. You could always provide your own exterior box.

Remote Controlled Heavy Duty Switch 60 Amp, 240VAC Relay

Reactions: untilcomplete
I've had a publicly accessible Charger for five years now (Type 2, 22 kW). In the center of Zürich, Switzerland. It never happened. And if yes it cost me a few cents. So the costs to protect your charger will be higher than anything you will ever lose...

I listed mine on PlugShare and anyone is welcome to use it if they need to. That said, I'm in a suburb with quite a bit of EV charging available, so I don't think anyone will actually take me up on this. If you need to secure it, turning off the circuit breaker might be the easiest option unless you have a smart EVSE like a Juicebox Pro 40 or something with built-in security features. The lockable disconnect that @EdM3 posted looks great.

Last edited:

I have one at my shop. Been used once without permission. Person left a note and $5. Glad I was able to help. If it became a problem I would lock the handle in a box.

I'm no electrical expert by any means, so please excuse my comment if it's too rudimentary.

I'm assuming your HPWC is on its own circuit breaker, so why not just switch off the breaker and padlock your breaker panel?

I don’t mind if someone in need uses the charger. I’m only paying .03 per KWh so a Model 3 charge is 75 cents. My business electrical bill is about $1200/month.

A more technical answer is that breakers are not meant to be used as switches. A locked disconnect would work fine though. I would do a box only because I can connect an RFID lock that will make it super easy to use.

Reactions: eprosenx
I don’t mind if someone in need uses the charger. I’m only paying .03 per KWh so a Model 3 charge is 75 cents. My business electrical bill is about $1200/month.

A more technical answer is that breakers are not meant to be used as switches. A locked disconnect would work fine though. I would do a box only because I can connect an RFID lock that will make it super easy to use.

I've been using breakers as switches at work for years with no issues. It isn't uncommon in commercial and industrial buildings. Both SWD and HID labeled breakers are designed specifically for this purpose, and of course, your mileage may vary depending on what equipment you have.

I've been using breakers as switches at work for years with no issues. It isn't uncommon in commercial and industrial buildings. Both SWD and HID labeled breakers are designed specifically for this purpose, and of course, your mileage may vary depending on what equipment you have.

You’re right. I sort of switched from talking about my industrial environment to talking about breakers typically used in a residential environment.