Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protecting a Model Y from a really hard life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LukeT

Apr 9, 2019
UK
My sister's Model Y is incoming, which is exciting.

Her use of cars is a little unusual. She is a wheelchair user. A very able and independent one. That means transferring from chair to car followed by taking the wheels off the chair, passing them and then the chair itself over her lap onto the passenger seat or behind. So the metal chair frame hits the sill while she's in it, rubs the sill as she transfers and then unwieldy bits of metal come into contact with dash and seats. She also has 2 young kids, so more of the same in the back as she lifts them in and out and all the rest of it.

Her cars take quite a beating. Paint wears off sills and dash soft plastic covering gets scratched and torn. In 2 or 3 years they look worse inside than mine after 200,000 miles.

I don't expect to keep the thing pristine, far from it. However I would like to take a few measures, if I can, to limit the damage and give the car a chance to last.

I have suggestested she get PPF in key areas and think I might add some tougher runs of tape on top in a handful of impact areas, like the line along the sill she'll hit.

I'll have a look for a screen protector, which feels like a necessity. What's the best option there?

What other ideas can you think of to help?

(to my disappointment, she chickened out of white seats 😉)

Reactions: UkNorthampton
If she is passing the chair over her lap - you may want to consider some kind of bumper around the edge of the screen - not just the face of it. It just feels a bit vulnerable to me. My kids have bashed it a few times with bags that have a metal water bottle tucked in it :eek:

If she is passing the chair over her lap - you may want to consider some kind of bumper around the edge of the screen - not just the face of it. It just feels a bit vulnerable to me. My kids have bashed it a few times with bags that have a metal water bottle tucked in it :eek:

Interesting idea. I can see a product linked to here
Screen Bumper
But it's a US seller. Big postage cost. Yet to find a UK seller of a similar product.

On screen protectors, what are regarded as being good ones?

Because of her rather specific use case it's not quite these normal high wear points she hits. They are more the upward facing surfaces, while at the sill she will hit the vertical outward facing ones, maybe even slightly downward facing as the chair frame protrudes slightly under. I think what I need is a tape or film.

I'd guess it depends how much looks matter when protected. There are all sorts of rubber strips available.. from window rubbers for classic cars to cable protectors or even pipe insulation. Perhaps more to the point is finding s glue or tape to hold stuff that can be removed without leaving damage.