Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

protecting against break ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They'd rather eat donuts and write speeding tickets.

Its not about the police being lazy, though that's also true, its the California voters that voted to make these types of property crimes a misdemeanor. You don't get put in jail for misdemeanors. Unless something like over $1000-1200 is taken then they just write a ticket, as that's the law. Likewise, no cop will waste his time taking a report of jaywalking or failing to wear a helmet properly, even with video of the incident.

Additionally its per incident, so you could break into 10 cars and the effect is the same, just a ticket and you walk.

California voters need to address this and increase enforcement of these types of property crimes.

Reactions: Leeclanual
Its not about the police being lazy, though that's also true, its the California voters that voted to make these types of property crimes a misdemeanor. You don't get put in jail for misdemeanors. Unless something like over $1000-1200 is taken then they just write a ticket, as that's the law. Likewise, no cop will waste his time taking a report of jaywalking or failing to wear a helmet properly, even with video of the incident.

Additionally its per incident, so you could break into 10 cars and the effect is the same, just a ticket and you walk.

California voters need to address this and increase enforcement of these types of property crimes.

That is absolutely a component as well, I don't know which the bigger component is. San Francisco area in particular seems to be extremely soft on criminals and that certainly can't help.

That is absolutely a component as well, I don't know which the bigger component is. San Francisco area in particular seems to be extremely soft on criminals and that certainly can't help.

I know, the whole "criminals have rights to a job too" really chaps me. One of the biggest downsides of living here. While I have many liberal attitudes, when it comes to my car, LOCK THEM UP!

Reactions: wenkan
I got the DropLock that Tesla Raj and Tesla DIY launched. Time will tell, but I'm hoping it will deter a thief. If anyone has any data that says this is a bad idea, I'd love to know.

Apparently the process happens pretty quickly. They walk up, pop the window with a glass breaker, reach-in and drop the seats. After one quick flash of their light inside the trunk they can tell if anything is worth taking. If there is something, they break the larger window, grab it and jump in a waiting car.

If you have tint, dropping your seats when parked may not prevent a thief from breaking the small window either. It's so easy to break it first and look.

Attachments

• IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1199.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 100
Yup. It's just a piece of fishing line that you have to thread through a tiny hole that faces the wrong way from the outside. The goal is to make it take more time to remove, which is not something casual thieves want to do.

This is a cool idea too: Tesla Model 3 rear seat lock by jonco223

Or you could just jam a small screwdriver in there and pry the plastic out in about 5 seconds, pretty sure that would also work.

Last edited:
Right, people are voting for those with those same attitudes and then shocked when the leftists they are voting for institute policies that end up hurting them.

SF is looking more and more like London by the month from accounts I read about the crime spike. In London, there is tons of muggings, break-ins and petty crime and everyone seems to have bars on their windows.

Or you could just jam a small screwdriver in there and pry the plastic out in about 5 seconds, pretty sure that would also work.

True, although I don't know what thieves typically carry in their pockets when they scope out cars. I'm sure there are a few ways to get around it, but right now I'm convinced it's still going to slow someone down a bit. I'm just hoping it's annoying enough to cause them to abandon and move on to someone else's car that may not have it.

True, although I don't know what thieves typically carry in their pockets when they scope out cars. I'm sure there are a few ways to get around it, but right now I'm convinced it's still going to slow someone down a bit. I'm just hoping it's annoying enough to cause them to abandon and move on to someone else's car that may not have it.

Well I wish you the best, it is a real kick in the crotch that you can't leave your car parked for 5 minutes without worrying about someone doing a smash and grab.

I got the DropLock that Tesla Raj and Tesla DIY launched. Time will tell, but I'm hoping it will deter a thief. If anyone has any data that says this is a bad idea, I'd love to know.

Apparently the process happens pretty quickly. They walk up, pop the window with a glass breaker, reach-in and drop the seats. After one quick flash of their light inside the trunk they can tell if anything is worth taking. If there is something, they break the larger window, grab it and jump in a waiting car.

If you have tint, dropping your seats when parked may not prevent a thief from breaking the small window either. It's so easy to break it first and look.

My guess is the thug is going to break your rear glass (possibly 2) just to punish you for putting that sticker on the window.

Reactions: Runnergirl

I would think maybe they carry one of these that has a spring loaded glass breaker.

https://www.amazon.com/Ztylus-Sting...&keywords=emergency+glass+breaking+tool&psc=1

im leaving all my things in my frunk as a precaution
Frunk may not be secure. Last February it was shown that a 9V battery could open the trunk. I don't know if any software update since then fixed that issue. The problem was that you could open the frunk using an external power (nominally 12V but 9V worked in this case) when the car's 12V battery was still functional. That technique was only supposed to work if the car's 12V battery was dead.

So i had some time this afternoon to drive over to the Santa Clara service center. Bought a set of rear triangular windows for $190 apiece. Now that I see it, my suggestion to bond a piece of acrylic / polycarbonate to the outside of the window is more appropriate. The glass assembly has pins on the back side for mounting to the body and the outside chrome trim is already bonded to the glass. It's all one piece. It would take some effort to transfer the trim and pins to the Lexan sheet. The problem with bonding the plastic to the original glass is there looks to be a slight curvature in the glass. Hopefully I can get some answers if it's possible to solve this problem in my visit to TAP Plastics.

Me and a friend have had the small-window-smash happen to us. My friend: twice.

But I haven't had a recurrence since I started leaving my seats down with a light on. I bought a cheap LED light that sticks to the bottom of the parcel shelf. The light runs for many hours.

In this picture, the window is down to reduce photo glare, but this is a fair view of what it looks when up, too.

As opposed to other approaches (alarms, locks, plexiglas or film), this has a good chance of keeping all of your windows intact. The only way it fails is if the thief just doesn't even glance in first at all. So far, so good.

vRpEo5+