Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

protecting against break ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Technique is to watch a car park. If you see the driver open the trunk to place something valuable inside, then that is the car you will hit.

If you put a back pack or lap top inside the trunk it will be gone in just a few minutes.

They will watch you walk away, and when you are out of sight they will do the smash and grab in just a few seconds.

In most liberal urban areas the police are instructed to do nothing. Petty criminals are kind of a protected class. If you are rich enough to afford a Tesla, then you on your own.

Reactions: wenkan
Here’s a few ideas
1) install a 6 inch suspension lift + 35 inch mud terrain tires... the added height will make it harder to reach in and grab
2) hire someone to stand watch and quietly eliminate any thieves with extreme measures
3) design an automated attack drone. It can sync with Tesla’s up coming sentry mode. If it detects anything near then the attack drone can launch from the frunk and work with the sentry cams to track the thief + lock on and use extreme measures to protect the car and property... like a modern trunk monkey... but a frunk attack drone. Think I’m kidding? DJI drones have face tracking and follow mode already... only a matter of time till someone figures out how to use them for personal automated security and protection.

• Funny
Reactions: mrbcc
Me and a friend have had the small-window-smash happen to us. My friend: twice.

But I haven't had a recurrence since I started leaving my seats down with a light on. I bought a cheap LED light that sticks to the bottom of the parcel shelf. The light runs for many hours.

In this picture, the window is down to reduce photo glare, but this is a fair view of what it looks when up, too.

As opposed to other approaches (alarms, locks, plexiglas or film), this has a good chance of keeping all of your windows intact. The only way it fails is if the thief just doesn't even glance in first at all. So far, so good.

vRpEo5+
This is not a bad idea!

In SF, I had my car broken into (non-Tesla) outside of Ghirardelli Square's on Fisherman's Wharf. They took my laptop bag & backpack but they did not take my camera bag. The windows are super tinted so they couldn't have seen inside.
BUT when I was leaving the car - I opened the trunk and took the DSLR out. So I am pretty sure that someone was watching as they didn't take that camera bag (that had a GoPro and other lens) since they assume I took the DSLR out already.

Since then I always park in garages when I go to SF and never had an issue.

I got a set of these from a friend and it works great for keeping stuff in your truck safe. If I am traveling I can lock stuff up on the truck and walk away. I may come back to a broken window but our stuff will still be there. Even safer than putting things in the frunk or in an S/X.

-Randy

Reactions: mrbcc
And I realize that if my power goes out there is going to be no way into the trunk after locking the seats. Fortunately, I don't think there is anything IN the trunk that would cause such a power failure.
I think that's false logic. It's not that there would be something in the locked trunk that causes a power failure... it's that IF there's a power failure that takes out the 12V system (or whatever operates the doors/trunk), then you wouldn't be able to get inside the car at all.

Reactions: israndy
So, here's my update after talking to some people at TAP Plastics...

The guy there says that he doesn't think that it would be possible (practical) to bond polycarbonate to the glass. His reason was that the glass and plastic have different thermal expansion coefficients. He figured that after some time either the plastic would separate from the glass or the glass would crack from the stress. So that might shoot down that thought. I'm back to looking at adding some security film.

When I first explained what I was trying to do, the woman that initially helped me said that another customer had come in and had them cut a piece of plastic in the shape of the Model 3's triangular window. It was two pieces of 1/16" sheets that were bonded together. I'm not sure why a single sheet of 1/8" wasn't used. She said that the customer had his window broken and was looking at options to make the car more secure. Given that the chrome trim and mounting pins seems to be glued onto the glass, I don't know how easy it would be to separate them and then transfer them to the plastic.

So, here's my update after talking to some people at TAP Plastics...

The guy there says that he doesn't think that it would be possible (practical) to bond polycarbonate to the glass. His reason was that the glass and plastic have different thermal expansion coefficients. He figured that after some time either the plastic would separate from the glass or the glass would crack from the stress. So that might shoot down that thought. I'm back to looking at adding some security film.

When I first explained what I was trying to do, the woman that initially helped me said that another customer had come in and had them cut a piece of plastic in the shape of the Model 3's triangular window. It was two pieces of 1/16" sheets that were bonded together. I'm not sure why a single sheet of 1/8" wasn't used. She said that the customer had his window broken and was looking at options to make the car more secure. Given that the chrome trim and mounting pins seems to be glued onto the glass, I don't know how easy it would be to separate them and then transfer them to the plastic.

Thanks for the update. I would definitely hold on to the triangular windows you bought. Would like to think you’ll never need but given how things are now at least you wouldn’t get stuck with finding out glass was out of stock for weeks and it was going to rain on top of it.

To me, making plastic replacements would be a quick cheap way to fix the window myself—or at least as an immediate temp replacement while the $190 part is ordered—and if broken into the plastic would shatter in a much easier-to-clean-up way than the glass. Most of the standard time to repair the glass is vacuuming up all of the tiny glass shards that fly around the car.

So somebody smashes your plastic window, it's easy to clean up, and you've got a stack of $5 replacements ready. Maybe with a little black vinyl overlay around the edges they wouldn't look TOO janky. Maybe.