Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protecting My Baby

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just moved out of our old house that we sold into rental townhome while our new house is being built. Old house had a 2 car garage that was actually used for cars. The townhouse only has a one car garage. I got an alert that a hail storm was on the way so I had to make a decision: Which car would have to bear the brunt of the storm...the M3 or MY? Both are the same age so it came down to which one has the most glass and metal surface to be damaged. So the MY got the garage while the M3 shivered outside waiting for the storm. Then I got an idea: We had just moved and had a few dozen moving blankets in the garage. The ones that professional moving companies use that are thick to prevent damage to furniture. (Not those crappy U-Haul ones.) So my wife and I went into "Save the car" mode. As we were putting the blankets on (most of the car was double covered) the wind picked up and we were holding them on for dear life. Dime to quarter inch hail started pouring down, pelting us relentlessly...and painfully. We were holding on for dear life. Within a few minutes, I realized that the blankets were wet and heavy enough to lay on the car on their own without us holding them in place. We took off for shelter.

The blankets held in place for the duration of the storm. On initial inspection, I don't see any glaring hail dings. I've gone through several hail damage events in the past and know that I won't be able to tell for sure until I give the car a good wash and can see it in proper lighting but I think we avoided most if not all of the damage. Fingers crossed!

(Step ladder and straps/bungies were helping us hold the front blankets on.)

Attachments

• PXL_20220426_194544925~2.jpg
    PXL_20220426_194544925~2.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 139
  • PXL_20220426_194628272.jpg
    PXL_20220426_194628272.jpg
    885.2 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20220426_194741139.jpg
    PXL_20220426_194741139.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 97
I had forgotten, when I first brought my M3P home in 2019 I took my wife for a drive about. We were way out in the wilds of Montana when my wife noticed a hail storm about 1/4 mile ahead of us. We both freaked out a bit thinking our new car would look like it had been in a driveby. But I turned around and experienced my first 0-60 acceleration test. Straight flat road with clear land. We outran the storm. Now if FSD-beta could just do that at will........