TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Protecting the doors from others

Discussion in 'Model S' started by The A List, Jul 2, 2016.

1. The A List

The A List Member

Jun 20, 2016
    New Jersey
    Hello Tesla Family,

I will be taking delivery of my MS on August 6th. I plan on getting the bottom bumper protected with Xpel and the car Opti-coated.

Has anyone gotten their doors protected with something like Xpel? I am concerned about dents and dings from others when I park in public spaces. Would getting Xpel on the doors help, or are there any other suggestions out there? I plan to park as far away from others as possible but that is not always an option.

Thanks in advance!
  2. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Nov 10, 2014
    The Americas
    My goals for year 1 of ownership included no tickets and no door dings. Both goals were achieved. I do have Opti-Coat Pro and credit it with sparing the paint on the front end from most rock chips. Sadly I did not treat the windshield, which has a disproportionate amount of micropitting - in hindsight as I started to see imperfections very early on, I should have had it replaced while under warranty. Oh, well.

So about parking. It is the very rare occasion that I park in between 2 vehicles. In fact, about the only time that happens is at an SvC or an SC, and there have been a couple of close calls due to inattentive owners.

There are almost always parking spaces somewhere. Parallel spaces and end spaces in particular. But in the end, if there isn't suitable parking, I either figure that out beforehand, park elsewhere nearby and, if necessary, Uber to the venue, or just don't take the car, period. And I don't let valets valet the car. If a space up front that I can park in is not available, then again, I don't need to be there.

It's been 18 months and no door dings so far. Google Earth is useful to suss out parking at, say, restaurants to which one has not yet been.

I did design a car coverlet with closed-cell foam bumpers that would protect the doors, but not the fenders/quarter panels. Plus it would potentially mar the paint so that never got out of the prototype stage. Especially if I lived outside the SoCal bubble, as elsewhere there's a lot more dirt on the roads and a lot more chitinous (tm Bighorn) bug carcasses. Frankly, if I lived elsewhere, I'd probably have long ago stopped caring as much for the car's exterior. I wash the car every 2 weeks and it's the best 2 hours/month I spend. However, that's also about my limit for exterior car care versus the other 100 things on the recurring to-do list.

Anyone who says "Oh, it's just a car" or "door dings are cheap to remove" tends to fail to consider that we don't get to pick our door dings. It's just as likely for some inconsiderate schmuck to slam their door into a fender as a door. And dents are not dings, and dents in aluminum are not always inexpensive propositions. Not to mention the nightmare of paint matching and panel re-spraying - especially if you have a nanocoating on top of that (e.g., Opti-Coat Pro).

In the end, I consider it far less annoying to take 5 or 10 minutes round trip and to park further away than to have to deal with repairs. Same concept with putting my laptop in the frunk with valet mode or to, usually, just take it with me. Much less annoying than having to replace it.

Good luck.
  3. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Columbus, Ohio
    Park very far away and always look for an end spot. Hug the curb and you should be fine. Plus, the extra distance is good for you to walk.