TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Protecting the paint on a used MS

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Vinc, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Vinc

Vinc Member

Hi there,

I am about to pick up a used 2014 MS that went through a full CPO refurb a year ago, when that was still a thing.

Paint is in good shape and I would like to keep it looking good, but sinking the same amount that one would on a new car (paint correction, wrap, etc) seems quite the overkill. I thought about just doing a front wrap, but a nosecone seems less exposed than a post facelift vehicle anyway.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

2. timvracer

timvracer Member

How long do you plan on keeping the car? If it is in decent shape, a quality detailer can make it look pretty much new. Given the age of the car, you may want to skip the wrap, but do the paint correction and ceramic coating. This will make it look awesome, and easy to wash/clean for years to come with no additional regular polishing/waxing. The wrap would protect against chipping and minor scratches, etc. --- but may not be worth it for 2014

3. Vinc

Vinc Member

Thanks! Planning on keeping it for the long haul. But yes, I was thinking along the lines of what you suggest. I hate door dings, but on the other hand, for the cost of wrapping the car I can probably just fix whatever happens, given that the pain is not fresh form the factory anyway...

4. djclint

djclint Member

Any idea on average costs of front bumper paint protection vs whole car? Stealth wrap?

5. Vinc

Vinc Member

My understanding is that front is around $1K, with the whole car being up to ten times that...

6. djclint

djclint Member

Oh wow. Some guy quoted me 7k earlier (whole car)...just seems really steep though.

7. Vinc

Vinc Member

It depends on many things, including what wrap they are using. Also, my ballpark number included all the things that you would like to do to the paint to make it look its best before applying the wrap (paint correction, etc). 7K is a low number, but it is not unreasonable for lower end.