Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protecting your Tesla from nuke EMP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestions on how to protect our Tesla from EMP if there is a nuke attack?
With the current risks, now is the time to prepare.
Well, if I would worry about a NUKE attack, I'm not going to worry about an EMP, I would just hope that I would be right under the nuke so that I wouldn't have to worry about anything again.

The cell phone and radios, we can carry with us. These are small and portable so very easy to move into a steel lead box or the metal fridge for quick safety from EMP.
But the car is in the garage where now is the time to build metal walls within. Maybe metal sheet lining? It that shielding useful? What about windows?
Electric experts, can we ground the car frame and protect the Tesla CPU? Wall charger may not be useful if hit by the pulse.
Here is the government link on staying safe:

The United States EMP Commission did a study that found vehicles materially unaffected. These were older cars (due to the study being circa 2002) though and the study did note nuisance effects like dash malfunctions. Things I might try if I were paranoid about it:

• Earth grounding the body when parked
  • Cover the vehicle or parts of the vehicle in woven copper mesh fabric
  • Keep the vehicle unplugged when not charging
I live in the suburbs of a nice juicy target, so if I survive the initial blast(s) I'll probably be doing better than most of my fellow denizens. Presumably we're going to get ~30min notice so you'll have a little time to execute.

Reactions: Jones1
The United States EMP Commission did a study that found vehicles materially unaffected. These were older cars (due to the study being circa 2002) though and the study did note nuisance effects like dash malfunctions. Things I might try if I were paranoid about it:

• Earth grounding the body when parked
  • Cover the vehicle or parts of the vehicle in woven copper mesh fabric
  • Keep the vehicle unplugged when not charging
I live in the suburbs of a nice juicy target, so if I survive the initial blast(s) I'll probably be doing better than most of my fellow denizens. Presumably we're going to get ~30min notice so you'll have a little time to execute.

Why not wallpaper your garage with copper mesh fabric? Then you can keep all your supplies in there and not have to worry about EMP damages.

1648489612473.png

Ok, so I had an interesting experience today that ties in to this thread’s topic. I was interested to see what people think about it. We have a back-up generator that we are going to replace. The company that is maintaining it and will likely replace it visited today, and the owner was very interested in my tesla. We were chatting, don’t remember how this came up but he said he had a device in his truck called, EMP Shield, that created a field that would protect his truck from an EMP blast. He wasn’t worried about nuclear warhead driven EMP affects but rather a missile just designed to create an EMP blast. He has these devices on all his vehicles and on the in take and main feeds for his electricity in his house and on his backup generator. Does this make engineering sense, i.e., would this work?

Not saying I’d put it in my car, was just curious.

Reactions: MDElectric
Ok, so I had an interesting experience today that ties in to this thread’s topic. I was interested to see what people think about it. We have a back-up generator that we are going to replace. The company that is maintaining it and will likely replace it visited today, and the owner was very interested in my tesla. We were chatting, don’t remember how this came up but he said he had a device in his truck called, EMP Shield, that created a field that would protect his truck from an EMP blast. He wasn’t worried about nuclear warhead driven EMP affects but rather a missile just designed to create an EMP blast. He has these devices on all his vehicles and on the in take and main feeds for his electricity in his house and on his backup generator. Does this make engineering sense, i.e., would this work?

Not saying I’d put it in my car, was just curious.
In short, no. Those devices do nothing but make the owner feel like they have control and some protection. In order to protect against an EMP blast, you need a Faraday cage. Think of EMP as a crap load of electrons just blasting your car. That causes damage when they get in your wiring, particularly when it gets to the sensitive micro-tiny integrated circuits and electronics. They can’t suffer what is basically injected voltage and current and they fry.
Faraday cage is basically an electrically conductive, well, cage, that the elections hit and dissipate. As mentioned above, a metal lined garage would provide protection.

I bet those things he has only have enough circuitry inside to blink a few LEDs or make noise or something. At best, they may have some line filtering built in but that ain’t gonna do squat against an EMP burst. They’re as worthless as “5G protectors”.

Source: me. Electrical engineer.

In short, no. Those devices do nothing but make the owner feel like they have control and some protection. In order to protect against an EMP blast, you need a Faraday cage. Think of EMP as a crap load of electrons just blasting your car. That causes damage when they get in your wiring, particularly when it gets to the sensitive micro-tiny integrated circuits and electronics. They can’t suffer what is basically injected voltage and current and they fry.
Faraday cage is basically an electrically conductive, well, cage, that the elections hit and dissipate. As mentioned above, a metal lined garage would provide protection.

I bet those things he has only have enough circuitry inside to blink a few LEDs or make noise or something. At best, they may have some line filtering built in but that ain’t gonna do squat against an EMP burst. They’re as worthless as “5G protectors”.

Source: me. Electrical engineer.
Maybe... but not look at the research on their website... empshield.com before completely dismissing it.

Maybe... but not look at the research on their website... empshield.com before completely dismissing it.
correction .... but why not...
I'm just considering getting one.. so I don't claim to be an expert.. but here is a little bit of testing details from their website... (be interested in people's informed thoughts on this device)...

EMP Shield is a family of incredibly robust EMP, solar flare, and lightning defense technologies.

They have been designed to exceed the US Military requirements for protection against a high-altitude nuclear detonation that results in an electromagnetic pulse. This family of products has been tested at Keystone Compliance, a DOD Certified Testing Laboratory, to verify compliance with the following Military Standards:

MIL-STD-461-RS105 Transient electromagnetic pulse of up to 50 kV/m, double exponential wave with a rise time in the nanosecond range, that is applied to the equipment under test (EUT) at least 5 times. We tested at 50 kV/m and also 90 kV/m (80% above required testing voltage).

MIL-STD-188-125-1 High Altitude EMP

MIL-STD-461G Control of Electromagnetic Interference

MIL-STD-461-CS-115 The purpose of CS115 is to test an electronic or electrical system to withstand signals coupled onto the test unit’s associated cabling. The test unit will be subjected to rise and fall times, pulse width, and amplitude as specified on Figure CS115-1 at a 30 Hz rate for one minute;

MIL-STD-461-CS116 applies to 10 kHz to 100 MHz for all interconnecting cables, including power cables, and individual high side power leads;

MIL-STD-461 CS117 apples to all safety-critical equipment interconnecting cables and non-safety critical equipment with interconnecting cables/electrical interfaces that are part of or connected to equipment performing safety critical functions. The goal is to test the unit’s ability to withstand lightning transients coupled onto the test unit’s associated cables and power leads;

MIL-STD-464C Electromagnetic Environmental Effects Requirements for Systems.

Our test results show that we begin shunting the over-voltage condition in less than 1 nanosecond, and our units are designed to shunt over 100,000 Amps per phase. Our devices are scalable to any size.

Summary of capabilities:

Features:

1. Quick acting HEMP surge protection that switches in less than 500 trillionths of a second.
  2. High current shunting capability above 100kAmps.
  3. Exceeds MIL-STD-188-125-1, MIL-STD-464C, and MIL-STD-461G requirements.
  4. Units are designed to protect power, control, data, communications, and radio antenna input.

Reactions: pilotSteve
correction .... but why not...

I'm just considering getting one.. so I don't claim to be an expert.. but here is a little bit of testing details from their website... (be interested in people's informed thoughts on this device)...

EMP Shield is a family of incredibly robust EMP, solar flare, and lightning defense technologies.

They have been designed to exceed the US Military requirements for protection against a high-altitude nuclear detonation that results in an electromagnetic pulse. This family of products has been tested at Keystone Compliance, a DOD Certified Testing Laboratory, to verify compliance with the following Military Standards:

MIL-STD-461-RS105 Transient electromagnetic pulse of up to 50 kV/m, double exponential wave with a rise time in the nanosecond range, that is applied to the equipment under test (EUT) at least 5 times. We tested at 50 kV/m and also 90 kV/m (80% above required testing voltage).

MIL-STD-188-125-1 High Altitude EMP

MIL-STD-461G Control of Electromagnetic Interference

MIL-STD-461-CS-115 The purpose of CS115 is to test an electronic or electrical system to withstand signals coupled onto the test unit’s associated cabling. The test unit will be subjected to rise and fall times, pulse width, and amplitude as specified on Figure CS115-1 at a 30 Hz rate for one minute;

MIL-STD-461-CS116 applies to 10 kHz to 100 MHz for all interconnecting cables, including power cables, and individual high side power leads;

MIL-STD-461 CS117 apples to all safety-critical equipment interconnecting cables and non-safety critical equipment with interconnecting cables/electrical interfaces that are part of or connected to equipment performing safety critical functions. The goal is to test the unit’s ability to withstand lightning transients coupled onto the test unit’s associated cables and power leads;

MIL-STD-464C Electromagnetic Environmental Effects Requirements for Systems.

Our test results show that we begin shunting the over-voltage condition in less than 1 nanosecond, and our units are designed to shunt over 100,000 Amps per phase. Our devices are scalable to any size.

Summary of capabilities:

Features:

1. Quick acting HEMP surge protection that switches in less than 500 trillionths of a second.
  2. High current shunting capability above 100kAmps.
  3. Exceeds MIL-STD-188-125-1, MIL-STD-464C, and MIL-STD-461G requirements.
  4. Units are designed to protect power, control, data, communications, and radio antenna input.
That's all just fluff. They don't actually say it does anything. It can't do anything, with those 3 micro wires, and no grounding, it's not shielding anything.

Not an EE, but I have set up a faraday cage for testing radios in a shielded environment. Needed a fairly stout ground strap to the 10 ft ground rod, just like your house. And that was just to shield stray emfs, not a nuke blast.

That website just screams scam. Run away.

Status
Not open for further replies.