Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protection against relay signal theft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont see relay signal device can intercept Tesla Key Fob

They are bluebooth device with 2-way encryption communication

each signal is different even for the same command, relay wont work

That doesn't matter to a relay device it doesn't look at the contents it just blindly forwards the communication. No amount of encryption will stop a relay attack. You have to do time-of-flight validations to make sure that the fob isn't actually further away than it is supposed to be.

Reactions: KyleDay
So disable passive entry is the way to stop your car from being hacked? Couldnt the signal still be amplified if at a limited distance and a program that mimics the app controls or even just the remote itself be used to open and start the car? Theres been some circulating youtube vids of the model S getting hacked and driven off the driveway.

So disable passive entry is the way to stop your car from being hacked? Couldnt the signal still be amplified if at a limited distance and a program that mimics the app controls or even just the remote itself be used to open and start the car? Theres been some circulating youtube vids of the model S getting hacked and driven off the driveway.

If passive entry is disabled they would actually have to press a button on the fob to unlock the car. And if they can do that then there is nothing you can do to stop them because they have possession of your fob.

Reactions: ABC2D
If passive entry is disabled they would actually have to press a button on the fob to unlock the car. And if they can do that then there is nothing you can do to stop them because they have possession of your fob.

hack vids indicated that the owners fob isnt required to open the door or start the car, they have a software and hardware that mimics the fob once the signal is located and amplified. For newer released tesla fobs, i've read that tesla changed the algorithm to help prevent hacks, but no news if this has actually worked on new models post 2016-17.

• Disagree
hack vids indicated that the owners fob isnt required to open the door or start the car, they have a software and hardware that mimics the fob once the signal is located and amplified. For newer released tesla fobs, i've read that tesla changed the algorithm to help prevent hacks, but no news if this has actually worked on new models post 2016-17.

No they are just extending the range of the fob. It opens and starts the car because passive entry is still enabled. As far as I know the new fobs won't prevent this exploit. (It only prevents cloning the weaker 40-bit fobs.)

I have enabled PIN to Drive. Even with the key fob inside the vehicle you “Must” enter a PIN in order to drive. Works great...

yes im noticing a slight inconvenience as far as functionality. I too have just enabled this. I've noticed that when im in the car after unlocking and sitting inside with the door shut, I have to unlock the car from my fob AGAIN, and then step on brakes to enable the screen for PIN. I find that kind of annoying since other times I just step on the brake and it appears. Its just not consistent in my experience.

so to clarify, if passive entry is disabled so would the ability to open and drive off with your car without the fob? therefore Pin to Drive is not necessary ?
This is correct. Further, even if your car stays opened when you get out, someone can't necessarily drive off. After a short amount of time, once the vehicle is in the "car off" state, an unlock signal from double-clicking the fob is necessary to drive even when you're in the vehicle with the fob. Automatic doors can even be left on. When the vehicle is unlocked (including when you open an FWD with the fob), the driver door will open based on proximity. Otherwise, the doors will only be opened on double-clicks.