Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Protective Coating...The Process on a Silver MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Protective coatings are quickly becoming the go to protection for automobiles, eliminating the use of wax and making the maintenance of your Tesla much easier.

The Tesla you will see in here came to my studio from FT. Myers. I was introduced to the owners (a lovely couple I must say :smile:) at the National Plug In Day event that took place at the Mote aquarium. They were looking for a long term protective coating that would also enhance the gloss of their beautiful silver MS. After going thru the options they chose GTechniq C1/EXOv2, and yes you read right "options", I am one of very few detailers in the US that are authorized detailers for all major brands of coatings (22PLE, C.Quartz Finest, Opti-Coat Pro, GTechniq and Modesta) so that I can give my clients the option to choose what coating they want based on longevity, gloss and warranty.

The purpose of this post is to walk you thru the steps and procedures that should be perform on a vehicle before the coating of your choice is applied (it doesn't matter what coating it is, the procedures are the same)

The very first step is what we call a prewash..I use a ph balanced citrus based cleaner (P21S Total Auto Wash) toguether with a boar's hair brush (swissvax brushes) to remove bugs and grime on the grill, around the emblems, etc. This product is safe on your car finish.
IMG_1712.png
IMG_1713.png

Next is the foam presoak. This step is necessary because it help loosing up the dirt. I use a ph balanced citrus based car soap that will strip any old wax or paint sealant that might be present on the vehicle.
IMG_1715.png

After the presoak I spray all painted surfaces with a ph balanced deironizer (IronX) to remove all metal particles that are embended in the paint of your car (and if you think just because your car is new you don't have this, I recommend you to pass by my studio and I'll show you everything you can't see :cool:)..The purple runs you see is the deironizer desintegrating the metal particules.
IMG_1716.png
IMG_1717.png

Once the car has been rinsed down thoroughly now is when I start to hand wash the car and also give it a clay treatment, leaving behind a perfectly clean surface.
IMG_1723.png

Once the car has been all properly prepped for paint correction, is time to turn on the lights and discover all the scrathes this silver color hides so well (This MS looked fine under the sunlight or fluorescent lighting) but not under this lights .
IMG_1760.png
IMG_1734.png
IMG_1733.png
IMG_1730.png
IMG_1729.png
IMG_1727.png
IMG_1728.png

After a close inspection on the car I started to look for the best pad/polish combination that will eliminated most of the scratches safely but that will also give me the finish I need to stay withing a single stage correction. (I still had to do a 2 step correction on small spots to remove some RDS (random deep scratches)). As you can see the car was carefully taped on the delicate areas. An LED light was used to make sure the scratches had been removed and no swirls were left behind.
IMG_1736.png
IMG_1737.png
IMG_1745.png

Here are the pictures of the same previous scratched panels properly and safely polished to a high gloss.
IMG_1761.png
IMG_1738.png
IMG_1739.png
IMG_1740.png
IMG_1741.png
IMG_1746.png
IMG_1747.png

Once the correction has been completed and the car has been checked for any imperfection left behind, I can either wipe down the car with a product made to cut any oil residue left behind by the polished used or by me touching the car or just rewash the car with the ph citrus based car soap (I rewashed the MS because the polished used left a lot of dust on the car and crevices), ensuring optimum adhesion of the coating to the paint.
IMG_1790.png
IMG_1791.png

Now the MS is ready for the coating. Since the owners chose GTechniq C1/EXOv2, the first part of a 2 part coating is ready to be applied.
IMG_1792.png
IMG_1796.png
IMG_1798.png

While the C1 is curing, the car goes up and rims were removed to be properly cleaned, decontaminated and coated with GTechniq C5 Wheel Armor. (I see many pictures of detailers coating wheels still on the car...not the right way to do them. They are only coating the face of the wheel instead of the entire wheels like they are supposed to)
IMG_1802.png
IMG_1803.png
IMG_1804.png
IronX at work again.
IMG_1806.png
IMG_1808.png
Coating the face of the wheel
IMG_1813.png
Coating the barrel of the wheel
IMG_1816.png
IMG_1812.png

Second part of this 2 part coating went on the next morning (must wait 12hrs for C1 to fully cure before applying EXOv2). Some pictures afterwards. Sorry I couldn't get any pictures outside.
IMG_1820.png
IMG_1766.png
IMG_1822.png
IMG_1825.png

I would like to thank Mr & Mrs Lee for allowing me the privilege of correcting and protecting their new Tesla. It was truly an honor working on your MS and getting to know you guys..great guys :cool:.

Who's next?!!! :wink:

Last edited:
We are the proud owners of the newly transformed MS pictured above in Pete's shop: First Impressions in Sarasota, FL.

We were in a hurry to get on the road for a trip the day we picked up the MS, so we haven't had a chance to take any "after" photos yet. However, the few pictures of the finished car above don't do it justice... the coating on the MS makes her look even more AMAZING! (I nearly missed holding back the drool coming down the side of my mouth when we picked her up!)

Unfortunately, after our recent trip, our MS was covered in road dirt along with the dreaded love-bugs! But in addition to the paint protection of the GTechniq, the best part about the coating was that I was able to quickly hose down the car... and EVERYTHING, even those darn pesty love-bugs, just slid off of the car surface like they were on butter! (Now, I get the concept of the non-stick frying pans!) Pete pointed out that the love-bugs have already done some minor damages to the MS hood paint surface... NO MORE! And no more scrubbing those nasty bug excrements off of my MS!

We can't say enough about how great the MS looks after Pete worked his MAGIC! Pete is a true artist and his attention to detail is unmatched! He has transformed our MS with this GTechniq and has given her a beautiful new shine. Now, her GTechniq coating can't help but demand your attention for a 2nd look AND a whistle! She is just drop dead gorgeous! (It's a good thing my wife knows I am talking about our MS!)

For those who live within driving distance to Pete's shop, it is definitely well worth the trip! Give Pete a call and he will take care of your car!

(P.S. The above is 100% endorsed by me, the wife, as well... :biggrin: I was a little skeptical about the need for the special GTechniq coating, but now I am a believer! Thanks for a fantastic job, Pete! We love how you transformed the MS! -Binh)

We can't say enough about how great the MS looks after Pete worked his MAGIC! Pete is a true artist and his attention to detail is unmatched! He has transformed our MS with this GTechniq and has given her a beautiful new shine. Now, her GTechniq coating can't help but demand your attention for a 2nd look AND a whistle! She is just drop dead gorgeous! (It's a good thing my wife knows I am talking about our MS!)

For those who live within driving distance to Pete's shop, it is definitely well worth the trip! Give Pete a call and he will take care of your car!

(P.S. The above is 100% endorsed by me, the wife, as well... :biggrin: I was a little skeptical about the need for the special GTechniq coating, but now I am a believer! Thanks for a fantastic job, Pete! We love how you transformed the MS! -Binh)

First and foremost I would like to thank Steve and Binh for your kind words and for trusting me with your MS. I am very happy to hear how satisfied you are with the work performed on your car :cool:.

My passion for cars and the craft of detailing are always reflected on the finish of every car I work on. My goal is to award my clients with the highest quality service possible within their budget.

P.S - I welcome everyone that lives within driving range to my studio to stop by. Travel arrangements can also be made for me to come where your car is anywhere in FL or the US.

- - - Updated - - -

So...how long does the protective coating last in a moderate climate (no freezing temps and rarely gets over 90) such as the San Francisco Bay Area?

Thanks,

The longevity of a coating varies on the brand. Example, 22PLE VX1 Pro last anywhere from 1 to 1.5 years, C.Quartz Finest comes with a 2 year warranty, GTechniq C1/EXOv2 and Opti-Coat Pro gives you 3 year warranty on a used car and 5 years on a new car.

There are many other variables that can shorten or extend the life of the coating such as
- Proper surface preparation and coating application by the detailer - this is the most important part and the main reason why so many people have had bad experiences with previous coatings done at a dealership...dealership or carwash "detailers" don't have the knowledge, training and experience to perform this task nor they care.
- Proper care of the coating once it has been applied - The detailer who does your coating should advise you on how and what products to use and not to use on your new coating.
- Driving habits - daily driver, weekend driver or garage queen.

Hope this helps.

What would you recommend for someone that is interested in both shine and protection from minor road hazards? (ie. something more along the lines of a solid film that gets applied)

I recommend having the front end of your Tesla corrected first, then have Xpel Ultimate (self healing film) installed to cover the entire front end, and last but not least a coating on top. Feel free to contact me, I can come over and take a look at your Tesla.

Great work as always Pete, thank you for posting as well. Very happy to know we have someone like you in our corner. Keep it up and keep those posts coming!

Thanks buddy

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Pete,
what are the differences between the protective coatings? Do you recommend someone in SE florida?

The difference between protective coatings are:
- Amount of gloss added to the car.
- Longevity
- Hydrophobicity

A professional detailer that has experience with all major coatings will recommend the best one for you based on how long you'll be keeping the car, color of the car as well as your budget.

For short term protection I recommend C.Quartz Finest..It comes with a 2 year warranty and adds a very nice gloss to the finish of your car. If budget is an issue than I recommend GTechniq EXOv2 or 22PLE VX1 Pro..They last anywhere from 1-2 years but don't come with a warranty (My shop offers a 2 year warranty on EXOv2)...They will also add lots of gloss to the vehicle

For long term protection I recommend Opti-Coat Pro (good) or GTechniq C1/EXOv2 (better)...Both will protect your car anywhere from 4.5 to 5 years or more (depending on driving habits)

Hope this helps :smile:

Let me know when you're ready Steve...choose your bodyshop wisely
Pete, I will choose a body shop like I would choose a surgeon for myself. First stop is the one Tesla Tampa has used: Gene Perez. The damage is "cosmetic", however the rear right quarterpanel and rear bumper (behind right rear tire well @ the seam) are affected. The quarter panel is literally part of the body so I'm really going to try to find someone who can repair the site of the damage without needing to remove and replace the entire panel which seems to be a MAJOR project based on some other experiences owners have had. I believe it can be repaired. The bumper will likely need to be replaced because the plastic is gouged but I'm not sure. I won't know until I get some professional opinions. I caused the damage myself in my overcrowded garage! If the costs are not astronomical, I won't file an insurance claim and will pay for the repairs direclty.

I'm very impressed with what you did for Steve and Binh - their silver Model S is very similar to ours. We met them at a Telsa event the day they got their Model S. I have an old 2012 model ;)

Steve.

Pete, I will choose a body shop like I would choose a surgeon for myself. First stop is the one Tesla Tampa has used: Gene Perez. The damage is "cosmetic", however the rear right quarterpanel and rear bumper (behind right rear tire well @ the seam) are affected. The quarter panel is literally part of the body so I'm really going to try to find someone who can repair the site of the damage without needing to remove and replace the entire panel which seems to be a MAJOR project based on some other experiences owners have had. I believe it can be repaired. The bumper will likely need to be replaced because the plastic is gouged but I'm not sure. I won't know until I get some professional opinions. I caused the damage myself in my overcrowded garage! If the costs are not astronomical, I won't file an insurance claim and will pay for the repairs direclty.

I'm very impressed with what you did for Steve and Binh - their silver Model S is very similar to ours. We met them at a Telsa event the day they got their Model S. I have an old 2012 model ;)

Steve.

Gene Perez BodyShop can be a hit or miss sometimes (in my experience). I have seen some great work come out of their shop as well as some horrible work that look like a blind guy could've done a better job (more good than bad) :cool:...Just make sure you inspect the car very well before taking it home.

Gene Perez BodyShop can be a hit or miss sometimes (in my experience). I have seen some great work come out of their shop as well as some horrible work that look like a blind guy could've done a better job (more good than bad) :cool:...Just make sure you inspect the car very well before taking it home.
I'm just going to get a quote and idea of what would be involved from Gene Perez today. I might get a few opinions from other shops. Based on what I've seen of your detail work, I wish you could do it :)

Binh says: Hi "Steve too"! (That's how you introduced yourself and now it's stuck!)

Bummer to hear about your rear car panel... Although it sounds like you need a new house with a bigger garage! LOL!

Good luck with getting the quote for the body work... Hurry and get it fixed and take it to Pete's. He will make your MS sparkle again!

Say hi to Robin!