Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protective film on Model 3 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been doing research on adding some protective film to my new (upcoming) Blue Model 3.
I have a 3M film on the Model S. Not a big fan.
Looking at SunTek or XPEL ? Possibly CQuartz on top... Any advice out there ?

I just had SunTek installed on my Model 3 today. Just the frontal "Standard Package" plus I had the rear bumper done where groceries or luggage might scuff the bumper going into trunk.

Best of all! I had some mat finish SunTek installed over the glossy black center console. Now that looks great and no more finger smudges to clean!

I had the work done at Ghost Shield in Thousand Oaks, CA. Tell 'em, "Gene" sent you!

Reactions: clx and MarkinArch
I just had SunTek installed on my Model 3 today. Just the frontal "Standard Package" plus I had the rear bumper done where groceries or luggage might scuff the bumper going into trunk.

Best of all! I had some mat finish SunTek installed over the glossy black center console. Now that looks great and no more finger smudges to clean!

I had the work done at Ghost Shield in Thousand Oaks, CA. Tell 'em, "Gene" sent you!

Any chance of some pics of the console? I’m sure all would like to see the mat black finish.

Any chance of some pics of the console? I’m sure all would like to see the mat black finish.
Here you are. Pics with and without flash. I find it completely changes the interior in a calming way rather than the shiny reflective gloss
IMG_4617.jpg
IMG_4617.jpg
IMG_4618.jpg
IMG_4619.jpg
IMG_4617.jpg
IMG_4618.jpg
IMG_4621.jpg
IMG_4619.jpg
IMG_4618.jpg
IMG_4617.jpg
IMG_4618.jpg
IMG_4619.jpg
IMG_4620.jpg
IMG_4621.jpg
black.

Oh, that is nice! Do you know which film # or name it was? Getting my car wrapped in Suntek in a couple of weeks and was debating what to do with the piano center console

One installer (highly referred my TMC members) said never put CQuartz on film... makes it brittle or something. Another installer I've worked with (also highly recommended my TMC) does put Nanolex (equivalent to CQuartz) on film. I'm confused... these guys all seem so confident that their way is the only way.

The installer called it "satin", but he said is was the first level away from clear, I forget the official name. Just tell your guy to barely take the glossiness away.

Thanks! That looks great! All 14 pictures:) I’m definitely down for that. Easy to keep clean. Replaceable if necessary. Minimal printing, easy to keep clean. Really like it.

Reactions: gene
I was thinking of DIY this

2018 Tesla Model 3 3M Scotchgard Pro Series Clear Bra Paint Protection Film Deluxe Kit

With Xpel ultimate, hood wrap, install kit, etc. <$500 for everything and they have pre cut around sensors/etc for Model 3
I am a total "do it yourself" kinda' guy. I was pro mechanic for years and years. I do engines, trans', plumbing. electrical, drywall ...on and ...on... But if you watch guys who are good installing clear bra, I can say it is a learned skill. It looks way to easy to make a mistake and end up with a ball of plastic in your hands. Even if you only have a few areas that don;t look right you'll be pissed and end up ripping your job off and taking uyour car to a pro anyways. I would suggest "bite the bullet" pay the pros to do this.

I am a total "do it yourself" kinda' guy. I was pro mechanic for years and years. I do engines, trans', plumbing. electrical, drywall ...on and ...on... But if you watch guys who are good installing clear bra, I can say it is a learned skill. It looks way to easy to make a mistake and end up with a ball of plastic in your hands. Even if you only have a few areas that don;t look right you'll be pissed and end up ripping your job off and taking uyour car to a pro anyways. I would suggest "bite the bullet" pay the pros to do this.
Yeah, I don't think it's something someone will get right the first time, especially with a kit, which would be frustrating. Having said that, a 5'x50' roll of clear PPF is ~$1600, and should provide more than enough material for someone to get the hang of installation. If I can scrape together the time, I plan to try my hand at a DIY installation on one of my older cars, and if that goes well, DIY on a 3 if/when I get one.

Reactions: suwaneedad and gene
I did Suntek too (Ultra, clear) and at 8mm thick it seems like it is the same thickness as Xpel and many other films.

And watching my person doing the full wrap (hand cut, wrapped edges, etc) and watching many videos (official Suntek and others), I am sure that I do not have either the time or skill to do the job that I will be satisfied with myself.

If you choose to do it yourself, do pay attention to videos where they talk about where to stretch vs not stretch. The front bumper also have a lot of curves as is tricky.

@gene,

Wow! Very clean. Looks amazing. Gives it a nice rich glow.....instead of the ‘in your face’ fingerprint magnet of the gloss. Love it, however I’m still going with carbon fiber or brushed aluminum. This is definitely in the running though!

Ski

Been doing research on adding some protective film to my new (upcoming) Blue Model 3.
I have a 3M film on the Model S. Not a big fan.
Looking at SunTek or XPEL ? Possibly CQuartz on top... Any advice out there ?

Both XPEL and Suntek are excellent films, it's the installer you need to make sure is a good fit for you.

We ALWAYS apply CQuartz over the film to help further protect it.

Here's a recent project we completed:

Vendor - amptsup's M3 Project @Glistening Perfection - Clear bra and NanoCeramic tint