Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protective film on Model 3 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW! California prices are WAY higher than here in the sunny south. A bunch of folks in Atlanta got together and negotiated a discount with a local company. $2800 for a FULL wrap with Expel Ultimate. My wife's 3 was the first one they did and we are very happy with it. Especially the price! Here's a photo taken the day we picked up the car at their shop.

Cost of living & doing business out here (CA) is also WAY higher. How many days did it take your installer to install the Xpel Ultimate?

@jdman,

What specifically didn’t you like about the 3M?

Ski
I was debating on XPEL protective film or 3M color, and decided on the latter because of pricing. I'm also a Porsche owner and had good results with 3M even after having the film removed. Here' s a pic of my white Model 3 that is now red, wrapped with 3M!

Attachments

• IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 388
  • Love
Reactions: bnsfengineer
yeah, legitimate question, i didn't think of this.
how do you wrap the hood with the emblem? remove it, install PPF and stick it on top of the PPF?
That is what my installer did...he had asked me whether I wanted the badge....He explained that others had debadged but I was too late to reply so by the time the car was ready, he already but the badge back on.

• Helpful
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Thanks for the continued patronage and kind worlds. The main difference between what we do and other installers is that we specialize in 100% custom work without the use of Pre-cut kits. In many cases, installers are claiming to do "custom" work like us only to use "customized" pre-cut kits. Take the front bumper of the Model 3 for example, our installation is done with one piece of film all the way through, and does not have joining seams at the bottom area beneath the headlights. This really comes down to the experience of each company, with many claiming more experience than they actually have. Most of our customers are as particular about the aesthetics of their cars as they are about the protection of the paint.

Full wrap is definitely costly....but not doing the doors will save you some real dough. I was mainly worried about rock chips from driving on 880 all day long. My X has gotten small chips on the windshield, but my wrap has saved the fender and hood from debris on the freeway.

I compared against ocdetailing who uses xpel ($3600) vs premier ($4000) uses clearguard. Given that I know Premier’s work, I just sucked up the diff

Interesting, an installer I talked with in Sacramento said he never puts CQuartz over PPF, because it makes it brittle and reduces its life. Another installer I worked with in Fremont puts Nanolex Si3d HD over PPF and it looks great. I'm not sure who has it right??

Nano Ceramic Coatings over PPF can only enhance the durability of the film. We carry both Nanolex and Modesta, which bonds great with PPF. There are some coatings that may not bond as well.

When searching for a paint protection film solution, one of the greatest mistake consumers make is strictly doing a brand search. We can't even recall how many customers have come to us to get their film redone from local installers because of this. Every installation company will carry their own film of choice based on appearance of the film (gloss, orange peel texture, hydrophobicity), installability of the film, ect...
More importantly though, is the experience of the installers that are performing the work. We are talking about real experience in PPF installations and not simply being in the Auto industry for 10 years and installing PPF for 2. We've been doing this for over 20 years, and specializing in 100% custom installs.

Here is a video that illustrates the difference between the two. As an example, we do the Model 3's front bumper with one piece of film with wrapped edges wherever possible. On the pre-cut kits, the front bumper comes in multiple pieces and have joining seams in the areas beneath the fog lights. This is where installation experience sets each company apart.

Video:

Attachments

• m3_02.jpg
    m3_02.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 261
  • m3_03.jpg
    m3_03.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 263
  • m3_4.jpg
    m3_4.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 254
  • m3_05.jpg